Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would the Current Raps look like Next Year?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What Would the Current Raps look like Next Year?

    Before I start, not a tank or not tank thread, just purely hypothetical.

    Let's say The Raptors make top 4 in The East, win their first round and lose in 6 to either the Heat or Pacers. Lowry believes this team can win and takes a pay cut to sign, and Masai signs the current bench we have now, maybe with an upgrade or two.

    My question, if this were to happen, would this team be a playoff team next year when the Eastern Conference isn't historically bad. Is Lowry-DD-JV a good enough 'big 3' to win in this league with Ross and Amir being those glue guys in the starting lineup. Is Vasquez, psycho T, Salmons, Patterson and maybe that late 1st round pick who turns out to be a decent player (Kenneth Faried type) a good enough bench to relieve the starters.

    How would Raptors faithful feel about having roughly the same team next year?

  • #2
    are you asking for the hypothetical assuming lowry stays? because i highly doubt he will.

    vasquez and lately, psycho T has been total shit. salmons and patterson are both streaky.

    if we had the same team next year, that just means we just wasted this whole season. the only net positive being JV and Ross getting more time (maybe not Ross since salmons is eating into his minutes now)

    Comment


    • #3
      It is 3 days, 12 hours, 30 minutes, 38 seconds

      until New Year (Toronto time)

      Comment


      • #4
        Horford finally healthy, Detroit has 17m coming off the books, Cleveland gets another year of growth, Bucks sign a 6'11" shooting guard start playing zone defense and become the lankiest team in the league. No way Knicks and Nets accept being bad again. Jason Kidd will likely die from radiation poisoning...Bulls will have Rose back. In other words we are a second round playoff team right now because of catastrophic injuries and the ineptness of other GMs...our second round playoff team becomes a 1st round bounce next season.
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

        Comment


        • #5
          rocwell wrote: View Post
          It is 3 days, 12 hours, 30 minutes, 38 seconds

          until New Year (Toronto time)
          Hahaha true, I should've specified I meant start of 14/15 season

          Comment


          • #6
            thead wrote: View Post
            Horford finally healthy, Detroit has 17m coming off the books, Cleveland gets another year of growth, Bucks sign a 6'11" shooting guard start playing zone defense and become the lankiest team in the league. No way Knicks and Nets accept being bad again. Jason Kidd will likely die from radiation poisoning...Bulls will have Rose back. In other words we are a second round playoff team right now because of catastrophic injuries and the ineptness of other GMs...our second round playoff team becomes a 1st round bounce next season.
            bahahahaha

            but yah pretty much. the only reason we're in any real playoff contention now is due other teams having disastrous luck with injuries. thats not really something i can cheer for.
            Last edited by iblastoff; Sat Dec 28, 2013, 12:44 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              If they're staying with the current roster, I can see the Raps being competitive in the Atlantic (probably topping it), but this is such a loaded hypothetical situation. This draft is supposedly deep and the FAs out there this offseason is going to be very good, so with that being said, so much can happen, it's not fair to even speculate right now.

              Comment


              • #8
                I imagine they'll look a lot like they do now, barring any scarring/disfiguring injuries.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I know some people like to continuously support their arguments with "the team, as presently constructed, blah blah blah", but since there is likely no chance in hell the roster will be exactly the same next year, this is a rather frivolous exercise.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    thead wrote: View Post
                    Horford finally healthy, Detroit has 17m coming off the books, Cleveland gets another year of growth, Bucks sign a 6'11" shooting guard start playing zone defense and become the lankiest team in the league. No way Knicks and Nets accept being bad again. Jason Kidd will likely die from radiation poisoning...Bulls will have Rose back. In other words we are a second round playoff team right now because of catastrophic injuries and the ineptness of other GMs...our second round playoff team becomes a 1st round bounce next season.
                    hahah yeah this team is only has playoff aspirations because injuries have decimated the eastern conference
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We have no idea what the team is going to look like next year... But I can guarantee it won't look similar.

                      I know there's a lot of anti-tank thoughts going on around here and I don't think that was ever really Masai's agenda per se, but I can tell you he's one of if not the most opportunistic GM in the league.

                      When the right deal comes around for Demar or Lowry he's going to pull the trigger, regardless of what it'd do for the team's playoff "hopes".

                      Remember what he said, "making the playoffs is easy" building a contender is trickier. He wouldn't be getting close to a decent return if we went out trading players for the sake of trading them.

                      As the season drags on there's going to be more injuries and playoff teams looking to put their team over the top. THEN he'll get the real offers he wants.

                      Bottom line is this is a terrible season for patience but get over it. Will we get a top 5 pick? Maybe not. Will the team be better off by the end of the season? In Masai I trust.
                      @sweatpantsjer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The Raptors themselves I believe will have some cap to work with.. I think.

                        Anyways, for next year, there is an article kinda talking about the newcomers' and what they can bring now, and what their future is with the team.

                        http://www.raptorscage.ca/toronto-ra...n-new-guys-do/

                        I had mentioned a few things about the future of these players here in Toronto, and to say the least, it is unknown. All four guys are capable of helping lead this team to the playoffs, considering the talents of Vasquez, Patterson, and Salmons mostly. After the trade, there was endless speculation on whether the deal was to encourage – or lead to – tanking, or if it was a push for the playoffs. But here’s a thing to remember, Masai Ujiri pulled the trigger on this deal in order to free up cap space for the future. That could mean these 3 players are just rentals (Chuck Hayes is guaranteed past this year). Whatever the future may be with these three guys and the organization, these guys are capable of being part of this core moving forward. Vasquez is as good a point guard there is in the league, Patterson is only 24 years old in his sixth year, and Salmons has already shown how important veteran experience is.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The team, as is, would probably be a little better next year than it is now. And I only say that because I expect JV and Ross will show some improvement. Of course, the East should be better next season than it is looking right now, so overall we may be in relatively the same position...fighting to win the division for a top four 4 seed or coming second in the division and maybe squeaking in the playoffs.

                          Nonetheless, this team will look different next season, Masai is gonna make more changes I think we can be sure of that.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Lowry takes a pay cut? As if. And why should he?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Salmons is doing his usual "play good his first year with a team" schtick. He won't be around next year.
                              @sweatpantsjer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X