Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A positive example of turning around a franchise - Phoenix Suns

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A positive example of turning around a franchise - Phoenix Suns

    Lengthy article, but a nice read on how the Suns are turning it around. The key philosophies are outlined. A lot of smart trades to acquire assets and flexibility. Very similar to the Morey strategy. It's interesting that McDonough also came from the Celtics organization.

    Oh, and they are strongly against tanking.... ;-)

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/suns--s...025610267.html


  • #2
    correct me if im wrong as i don't know exactly what state the suns are in but:

    they traded away all of their core players in exchange for picks as a clear sign of rebuilding. even mcdonough clearly stated it would be a really slow move to the top and even he couldn't see this team playing the way it is now. their story is only positive because its completely surprising. 99% of the time moves like this would lead them to the lottery.

    in other words, isn't this what some people here are wanting from MU? trade away our core for more youth and picks? what exactly is the difference here?
    Last edited by iblastoff; Sat Dec 28, 2013, 08:05 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, the Suns can bullshit about how they weren't planning to tank all they want, but the truth is simple: they traded for a bunch of young players who were all basically lousy and practically overnight all of those players started playing out-of-their-minds ball. Half the team has a PER that's 50% or more better than last year. That's lotto ticket odds of happening.

      Comment


      • #4
        Suns are and will be stuck for ever at the middle of the Western conference. None of their players are stars and the amount of money they have to pay for these roles players to stick around will not allow them to get the star that they need to get to the next level.

        Comment


        • #5
          Jamshid wrote: View Post
          Suns are and will be stuck for ever at the middle of the Western conference. None of their players are stars and the amount of money they have to pay for these roles players to stick around will not allow them to get the star that they need to get to the next level.
          There is absolutely no way this poster is real. What is the trolling policy here?

          Comment


          • #6
            iblastoff wrote: View Post
            correct me if im wrong as i don't know exactly what state the suns are in but:

            they traded away all of their core players in exchange for picks as a clear sign of rebuilding. even mcdonough clearly stated it would be a really slow move to the top and even he couldn't see this team playing the way it is now. their story is only positive because its completely surprising. 99% of the time moves like this would lead them to the lottery.

            in other words, isn't this what some people here are wanting from MU? trade away our core for more youth and picks? what exactly is the difference here?
            Stoudemire (31, wonky knees), Nash (39), Scola (33...as good as he'll ever be)....Lowry (27), Amir (26), Demar (24)...and these guys are the long-standing Rap veterans.

            The D'Antoni era Suns were obviously past their due date. The current Raptors, however, have some good pieces that could, if it all comes together right according to the Massaianic prophecies, could help build a contender.

            Comment


            • #7
              Pele wrote: View Post
              Stoudemire (31, wonky knees), Nash (39), Scola (33...as good as he'll ever be)....Lowry (27), Amir (26), Demar (24)...and these guys are the long-standing Rap veterans.

              The D'Antoni era Suns were obviously past their due date. The current Raptors, however, have some good pieces that could, if it all comes together right according to the Massaianic prophecies, could help build a contender.
              you left all the younger guys out. gortat, kendall marshall, brown, lee.

              i wouldn't say lowry is a long-standing rap veteran.

              Comment


              • #8
                Bullshit on the Phoenix against tanking.

                They tried their hardest.

                Problem is they have a lot of pieces that have gelled together and a lot of players getting an opportunity for the first time.... and making the most of it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I doubt anyone in the Suns org. anticipated this team playing as well as it has. However, I think the key to the article was the hiring of a GM with a clear vision for the franchise, and then that GM executing trades that resulted in the collection of assets (picks and young prospects) that promote flexibility. They now have the cap space and assets that should allow them to build a team with or without a high lottery pick this upcoming draft.

                  And, yes, this is EXACTLY what I want MU to do.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    iblastoff wrote: View Post
                    There is absolutely no way this poster is real. What is the trolling policy here?
                    WHY ?? Because you don't like what you read and hence it is trolling ?? loooool.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Jamshid wrote: View Post
                      WHY ?? Because you don't like what you read and hence it is trolling ?? loooool.
                      Because what you posted makes no sense and you literally just make things up just for the sake of posting.


                      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        iblastoff wrote: View Post
                        Because what you posted makes no sense and you literally just make things up just for the sake of posting.


                        Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                        It actually makes perfect sense when you think about what their draft position is going to be and how much they have to pay E.B and ... Do the calculations.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Jamshid wrote: View Post
                          It actually makes perfect sense when you think about what their draft position is going to be and how much they have to pay E.B and ... Do the calculations.
                          Kind of like us lacking a superstar? And whhat our draft position will be and what we'd have to pay Lowry to keep this team together? I question your objectivity....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Jamshid wrote: View Post
                            WHY ?? Because you don't like what you read and hence it is trolling ?? loooool.
                            Because Luol Deng is not coming to town.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Jamshid wrote: View Post
                              It actually makes perfect sense when you think about what their draft position is going to be and how much they have to pay E.B and ... Do the calculations.
                              The fact that you think Bledsoe is a role player makes pretty much anything you say = uh DOY.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X