Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landry Fields

"He stinks and he has a horrible contract."

I want to comment on the performance part ( He stinks) of the above since I've never had a great deal to say about contracts - there are so many bad contracts in the NBA that talking about them is mind numbing.

Landry Fields has nerve damage. Nerves repair happens at the speed of hair growing. So if you need nerve that needs to be 10 inches long before it works properly then think about how long it takes for a hair to grow that same 10 inches. In my estimation, Landry is just about there after all this time. Okay? Does that make sense? Cause NOW he has to use the new nerve to practice his shooting skills until they improve to the point where he can shoot.

The really good news is that Landry's brain isn't broken. His IQ for the game is intact and it will be ready for his shot when it returns and THEN he will be the Landry Fields from 2011. The other good news is that his speed is still there and he can cover a lot of the floor with that speed and those quicks.

It's just that pesky nerve damage and we need to be patient.

Comment

He is disabled. You can't bash the guy for being disabled. I think the Raptors should send him down to the D-league. At least then he'd get playing time and maybe rebuild confidence in his shot.

Comment

Roarque wrote: View Post

I want to comment on the performance part ( He stinks) of the above since I've never had a great deal to say about contracts - there are so many bad contracts in the NBA that talking about them is mind numbing.

Landry Fields has nerve damage. Nerves repair happens at the speed of hair growing. So if you need nerve that needs to be 10 inches long before it works properly then think about how long it takes for a hair to grow that same 10 inches. In my estimation, Landry is just about there after all this time. Okay? Does that make sense? Cause NOW he has to use the new nerve to practice his shooting skills until they improve to the point where he can shoot.

The really good news is that Landry's brain isn't broken. His IQ for the game is intact and it will be ready for his shot when it returns and THEN he will be the Landry Fields from 2011. The other good news is that his speed is still there and he can cover a lot of the floor with that speed and those quicks.

Its not that I dont sympathize with the guy .. but same way that Greg Oden just has those "pesky knees", if a guy cant perform to the NBA level, then I have no use for him. Yes, Landry has good bball IQ. He runs the floor well and plays pretty solid D.

But (and its a huge, massive BUT), if you are a wing player you need to be able to shoot outside of 4 feet. He simply can not. Will he regain his shooting touch? Maybe. I would say odds are that he will not .. but maybe. With that ugly form he has now, I dont see if happening any time soon.

It would be great for that to happen ... but hes lost an extremely fundamental part of the game for his position. At the NBA level, when that happens, you stink. Its a harsh reality, but reality none the less

Comment

I agree with what you're saying but the fact is he's not getting any P/T. That's $6.5 mill sitting on the bench while T.Ross is eating up (or should be eating up) most of the minutes while Casey's love for Salmons grows. Fields is an intelligent player and will be a valuable contributer to a contending team this year. I just don't think he'll get enough P/T here... unless something changes within the team's current playing time allotment.
          #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

nobody wants him

Comment

I guess we got to add Hayes to this group as well. This is 14 million sitting on the bench and getting less than 5 minutes of playing time. This GM has lots of work to do

Comment

The really good news is that Landry's brain isn't broken. His IQ for the game is intact and it will be ready for his shot when it returns and THEN he will be the Landry Fields from 2011. The other good news is that his speed is still there and he can cover a lot of the floor with that speed and those quicks. It's just that pesky nerve damage and we need to be patient.
                I agree fully with this. I would rather see Salmons be traded in February, and Landry take his place in the rotation ... giving Landry a bit more time to polish his shot.

I expect the Landry of 2014-15 to be worth keeping on our team.

Comment

Kuh wrote: View Post
                  I agree fully with this. I would rather see Salmons be traded in February, and Landry take his place in the rotation ... giving Landry a bit more time to polish his shot.

I expect the Landry of 2014-15 to be worth keeping on our team.
                  Why? Salmons has proven he can do the job. This team is way too good to properly tank. If someone out there wants to invest in Fields, and is willing to make a trade for him they should let them. His contract is ridiculous. As much as I like his nuanced play, he is the most overpaid player on the roster (that includes DD). Why would any business choose a less efficient, more costly resource?

I would assume that Novak is moved for a 2nd rounder or a big similar to Grey on an expiring.

Comment

How about;

Novak, Fields and Daye straight trade for Andrew Bynum.

Waive Bynum right away and free up 12 mil. Sit until we can sign Chandler Parsons, Ed Davis and Larry Sanders.

Draft with quality...and we's looking like we've got a good team.

Sign Durant in 2016, and it's Championship time.

Comment

Pele wrote: View Post
                      How about;

Novak, Fields and Daye straight trade for Andrew Bynum.

Waive Bynum right away and free up 12 mil. Sit until we can sign Chandler Parsons, Ed Davis and Larry Sanders.

Draft with quality...and we's looking like we've got a good team.

Sign Durant in 2016, and it's Championship time.
                      Except it kills Cavs cap space this summer.

No way they do that.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Except it kills Cavs cap space this summer.

No way they do that.
                        It doesn't kill the Cavs cap space unless you think the Cavs still think they have a shot in hell of signing LeBron, which they do not on account of they are not a very good team. If they re-sign Varajao it's not going to be for $9m; he's not worth it any more with his injury record and his age. Alonzo Gee is gone. Earl Clark most likely is as well. The Cavs will probably be $15m below the cap next summer before you take Bynum into account at all.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                          It doesn't kill the Cavs cap space unless you think the Cavs still think they have a shot in hell of signing LeBron, which they do not on account of they are not a very good team. If they re-sign Varajao it's not going to be for $9m; he's not worth it any more with his injury record and his age. Alonzo Gee is gone. Earl Clark most likely is as well. The Cavs will probably be $15m below the cap next summer before you take Bynum into account at all.
                          It has nothing to do with LeBron.

$63M non-guaranteed next year.

$36M guaranteed as of now.

If they trade Fields/Novak that takes them to $46M - don't forget roster space cap holds and 1st round pick cap holds.... lets call it an even $50M.

That leaves them around $8.5M under current cap rules and upwards of $11M based on estimates.

Remove Novak and Fields, they have around $20M.

Let me ask you: would you spend half your cap space, $10M, on Novak and Fields if they were free agents? I can't see any reasonable yes here but that is just my opinion.

Comment

Novak is here because NY wanted to get rid of his contract. He's the price you pay to get rid of Bargnani and to get draft picks. Don't think of him as a player we got from NY but as an expense they forced on us in order to justify giving us draft picks. If a team offers up anything but a bad contract for him I expect Masai will take it.

Fields would most likely only be traded for another bad contract but I don't see too many GMs wanting to give a guy with his numbers another shot at that price.

Comment

The Raptors are playing 9 deep in rotation right now and playing consistently well so I don't see the point of going deeper into the bench at this time just as an attempt to get value out of the bench.

Every team has bench players getting paid millions just to sit.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                                The Raptors are playing 9 deep in rotation right now and playing consistently well so I don't see the point of going deeper into the bench at this time just as an attempt to get value out of the bench.

Every team has bench players getting paid millions just to sit.
                                true but not that many millions...

Comment

Working...
                                X