Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    I see him as a younger Jose. Remember when Jose first came over, he was just so eager to get his teammates involved and to help his team win he was like an excited puppy. Vazquez reminds me a lot of this. He knows now he has a reputation as a PnR guy and sometimes tries to force the PnR passes way too much. But I don't mind it, he has drive and passion to compete and we've been prone to too many guys who are the exact opposite before.

With time, his chemistry with Amir and the rest of the team will improve, he'll learn Amir's tendencies and the right time to pass. Him and JV, if they stay together and develop together should be a great 2nd-3rd quarter PnR duo.

I remember, if I recall correctly, last game, he ran the PnR with Jonas and gave him a perfect bounce pass through three defenders. That was a flash of brilliance from him.

For those of the tank brigade, I think you know it's over right? But if the point of a tank is to lose now to win later, maybe we can have our cake and eat it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    I feel the same way. I think he hasn't settled in or found his groove yet. He's still trying things that don't always work out, and he's out of sync with his teammates at times. Optimistically, given some time he'll get to know his role better and he'll be a bit more stable.

I have noticed that Casey's taken to playing Lowry with the bench right until the end of quarters, because they were too out of sync with Vasquez. Then Vasquez goes in with at least 2 or 3 starters who help stabilize things. Sometimes Lowry doesn't come in until halfway through the next quarter.
    He seems to work well with 2Pat and Salmons, so hopefully with more playing time he can find a groove with the rest of the roster. I'm hoping that this is all it comes down to, because I think he can be great backup PG. Perhaps some of the ill advised shots and awkward floaters he takes would be reduced with improved chemistry with the rest of the team. Fingers crossed!

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Vasquez still has tons of room to improve. Hopefully the improvement happens. His passing hasn't been consistent and invariably he makes goofy turnovers trying to force a pass though three defenders. And he is too ready to shoot. And he dribbles passively too long, giving opposing players a chance to closeout on him. But he does have the requisite skills to be a good back-up. Needs seasoning and to get integrated into a set offense. I think he will be significantly better by the end of the season. It's only been 10 games or so.

Leave a comment:

• chch166
    replied
    Everyone in the Raptors seem happy currently

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    mountio wrote: View Post
    Im not gonna lie .. Im scared shitless when hes out there. I admit hes a pretty good back up PG - but he has a very high risk / high reward style.
    Hes kind of bailed himself out by hitting a bunch of threes - Im not sure if that will last. I shouldnt be picky - hes for sure an upgrade over what we have had in the past ... but especially the way KL is playing right now, there is no other Raptor who Im screaming to get back in the game quicker than KL when he gets subbed out
    I feel the same way. I think he hasn't settled in or found his groove yet. He's still trying things that don't always work out, and he's out of sync with his teammates at times. Optimistically, given some time he'll get to know his role better and he'll be a bit more stable.

I have noticed that Casey's taken to playing Lowry with the bench right until the end of quarters, because they were too out of sync with Vasquez. Then Vasquez goes in with at least 2 or 3 starters who help stabilize things. Sometimes Lowry doesn't come in until halfway through the next quarter.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Agreed. He really cannot defend (as I witnessed in person at the Pacer's game yesterday). He makes Calderon's clap defence palpable. Him trying to guard John Wall or Russell Westbrook is cringeworthy.
    True, but he really should not be guarding/on the floor against the starters of opposing teams unless in a pinch...no?
    I believe he is a valuable player...a true pg backup when most other teams bkups are really at best sg/pg tweeners.

Leave a comment:

• Balls of Steel
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't have any problem with Vasquez as our backup PG over the next 2-3 years.
    Agreed. He really cannot defend (as I witnessed in person at the Pacer's game yesterday). He makes Calderon's clap defence palpable. Him trying to guard John Wall or Russell Westbrook is cringeworthy.

Leave a comment:

• Rapstor4Life
    replied
    and Vasquez doesnt mind being a back up anyone see the guy hes just so happy all the time..

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    I wouldn't have any problem with Vasquez as our backup PG over the next 2-3 years.

Leave a comment:

• mountio
    replied
    Im not gonna lie .. Im scared shitless when hes out there. I admit hes a pretty good back up PG - but he has a very high risk / high reward style.
    Hes kind of bailed himself out by hitting a bunch of threes - Im not sure if that will last. I shouldnt be picky - hes for sure an upgrade over what we have had in the past ... but especially the way KL is playing right now, there is no other Raptor who Im screaming to get back in the game quicker than KL when he gets subbed out

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    he has taken some sketchy shots, but he has hit some big ones as well. He is a significant upgrade for our back up PG and despite his somewhat questionable defensive capability, the bench still plays pretty good D overall. Certainly not costing us games at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• phiLLy
    replied
    He has been extremely streaky.

But, honestly, Vasquez is nice to come off the bench. I'd say he's one of the better backup point guards in the league.

Leave a comment:

• Red and White
    replied
    Zach Lowe called Vasquez an "elite backup point guard" in his most recent front page article on Grantland. He has been very streaky in Toronto so far, but he has shown some really good things.

I wouldn't want him as a starter for sure, but he has the talent to be great off the bench.

Leave a comment:

• stooley
    replied
    Nosike wrote: View Post
    The main difference is that when Lowry comes off we still have a guy who can run our offense, break down the d, and get guys involved.

His defense sucks though lol :P
    had a nice block on hinrich at the end of the game last night. his length can make things tricky sometimes

Leave a comment:

• Masai Ujiri
    replied
    The main difference is that when Lowry comes off we still have a guy who can run our offense, break down the d, and get guys involved.

His defense sucks though lol :P

Leave a comment:

Working...
X