Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will another star make this team is legitimate contender for East ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the sake of adding to the thread...zach randolf?

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
      This team is showing heart and poise and discipline. Will another star help this team to pass Indiana and really make the life hard for Heat ...

We have Hayes, Novak and Fields on the bench for 14 million. We have our 2014 draft pick ( middle of the first round) and NY 2015 and bunch of 2nd round picks ...

How about combinations of these contracts with those picks for Gasol to come off the bench in Toronto ?

We can make a real push for East this year and have 19 million off the books next season ... Is a middle of the 1st round pick in this season that important ?

Just imagine a 1 and 2 punch of Big Val and Gasol against the bigs gf Indiana and Heat ... They will have no answer for us ...
      First of all, the Lakers won't do it. They want free agency, and this deal takes that away from them.
      Secondly, you never know what Ujiri could do with a mid round pick in a deep draft. He got Faried a few years ago. Why give up that chance for Gasol? Cap space? Well, how much of it do the Raptors realistically need? LeBron isn't coming. Neither is Bosh. Most of the free agents this summer are restricted. Maybe there's someone like Stephenson that can be signed but you don't need 40 mil in cap space to sign players like that. The Raptors already have more than enough room to make a good offer to someone like that and probably re-sign Lowry if they choose to.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
        Even better ... Memphis knows they can not compete anymore. There are talks about blowing that team up. Imagine this line up:

Lowry, DD, Ross, Zach, Big Val

And you have a guys like Amir coming off the bench.

Do you really think we can not beat Indiana and go to East finals then ??
        Do you really think a late 1st round pick in 2014 and 2015 from NY is better than Zach ?

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
          getting passed the 2nd round means playing in the East finals and having a chance at wining east !!! Why not ?? Aren't we competing now ? Gasol was just an example ... Our draft picks can get us another star ... We need to believe that we can beat Indiana , which we did and with another star and little bit of luck , maybe even Heat
          Gasol is 33, and will be 34 in the summer. Has a host of injuries, and not to mention, a free agent at the end of the season. Chances are, he's looking for one last payday, and chances are, it won't be here. At the moment, this team is playing great, cohesive, team basketball. We're all enjoying it. However, with that being said, One bad stretch and this team is on the outside looking in. The fortunes of this team can turn in a hurry. We're not a contender. Not by a long shot. You don't build a championship team by giving up assets for short term gain. That's meant for teams on the cusp. We're not one of those teams. Slow and steady I say. No moves unless it improves the long term stability and growth of this team.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
            Already pretty old. 32 and looking for another big contract. Also doesn't have a great injury history, or a history of very good conditioning. No thank you. Might be a good fit for a year or two, but not sure he's worth anything beyond that, and don't think he's worth the price he'll likely be seeking.

Comment

There is so much overreaction right now, it's crazy. We are playing some great ball right now, no doubt, but let's all take a step back for a second and ask ourselves a question: do you really think that this sort of play is sustainable for the rest of the season? The Raptors are really hot right now, but inevitably, we're going to cool off a bit. Overall, I think we're a 42-46 win team, with a real shot of reaching the second round. But beating the Pacers or Heat in a 7 game series, on the road? Next to impossible, and the thoughts of trading basically all our assets for a short-term rental, is ludicrous. Be patient, this team is just starting to gel, the play-off experience will help out for the future, and those assets can be used to help improve the team this summer, and build on what will hopefully be a play-off trip this year.

Comment

If you could get Gasol (or insert any other aging once all-star) for just the expiring contracts you might as well do it and see if you can make some noise in the playoffs, but trading a pick is a bad idea.

Comment

Rondo.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                    If you could get Gasol (or insert any other aging once all-star) for just the expiring contracts you might as well do it and see if you can make some noise in the playoffs, but trading a pick is a bad idea.
                    This. And it can't compromise the long term financial well being of this team.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                      Rondo.
                      That's a spicy meatball. However, chances are, we'd have to be taking back some of those bad contracts (ie Courtney Lee, Brandon Bass and Gerald Wallace). And in all likelihood, the deal would have to include Lowry, or the 1st round pick. Or both.

EDIT: I hate to ruin chemistry by giving up Lowry, and I'd have to see how Rondo is with his ACL injury, and see him in game action before I give up anything for him.
                      Last edited by MangoKid; Thu Jan 2, 2014, 12:47 AM.

Comment

we still need a star. teams will learn to effectively shut down demar. t. ross can rise to the occasion but i think we need a big name attraction that will work with the construct of the team.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          Already pretty old. 32 and looking for another big contract. Also doesn't have a great injury history, or a history of very good conditioning. No thank you. Might be a good fit for a year or two, but not sure he's worth anything beyond that, and don't think he's worth the price he'll likely be seeking.
                          I was just throwing it out there, I wouldn't advocate trading for him, hes making $17.5M this season and a 16.5 PO next season so making salaries match would be tough I guess, and it would be risky with that PO. We would probably have to give up alot to get him, and benefit of having him might be outweighed by the holes created in the roster by what we gave up. But I think Randolf is the real deal and exactly the type of guy that could make this team more likely to compete in a second round series. He battles like Amir, but has a much better offensive game. Tough big man, works hard, plus he's a vet, and ideally if you are gonna add someone to try and take this team over the hump, it would be a vet guy like Randolf that can make a real solid impact on the floor.

Nonetheless, I don't think it's a realistic option, and given his contract I really wouldn't consider it.

Comment

IMO we should add one more guy to the team without wrecking the chemistry. Currently we have a true rotation of 9 players: 2 PG, 3 Wings, 3 PF, and 1 Center. Personally I love our starting lineup right now: Kyle is a great distributor and defender, Derozan is a great scorer and draws double teams to open up the offence, T Ross is an athletic shooter and defender, Amir is the king of effort with great pick and roll/pop and high-low w/ JV, and JV is a good low post scorer and rim protector. If we want to make this a real thing we add a backup center and another wing (preferably a vet w/ playoff experience). If JV gets in foul trouble against a team like Indiana, Charlotte, Atlanta, or Chicago we need a backup center to eat some minutes. The wing one would not be essential but would be nice heading into a 2nd round playoff series against Heat or Miami and having someone with playoff experience off the bench.

Comment

JRedmond14 wrote: View Post
                              IMO we should add one more guy to the team without wrecking the chemistry. Currently we have a true rotation of 9 players: 2 PG, 3 Wings, 3 PF, and 1 Center. Personally I love our starting lineup right now: Kyle is a great distributor and defender, Derozan is a great scorer and draws double teams to open up the offence, T Ross is an athletic shooter and defender, Amir is the king of effort with great pick and roll/pop and high-low w/ JV, and JV is a good low post scorer and rim protector. If we want to make this a real thing we add a backup center and another wing (preferably a vet w/ playoff experience). If JV gets in foul trouble against a team like Indiana, Charlotte, Atlanta, or Chicago we need a backup center to eat some minutes. The wing one would not be essential but would be nice heading into a 2nd round playoff series against Heat or Miami and having someone with playoff experience off the bench.
                              Hansborough, Patterson and Hayes can all play the 5 if need be. Salmons is a good backup wing.

Guys and gals, I love the optimism, but we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves right now. I'm loving the hot streak but a lot can change in 2 weeks.

Comment

A lot of people here thinking like colangelo. We don't need to make a panic move like acquiring gasol or Zbo right now. We need to continue accumulating assets and developing our young players. Not mortgaging our future by trading picks for over the hill players.

If you can get a real superstar that hasn't reached his peak yet you do it. But aside from that we need to be patient and make smart moves.

This is exactly the stage where bc fucked up and traded our number 17 pick for an over the hill jermaine oneal. I pray Masai is not foolish enough to make a similar deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X