Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will another star make this team is legitimate contender for East ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Hansborough, Patterson and Hayes can all play the 5 if need be. Salmons is a good backup wing.

Guys and gals, I love the optimism, but we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves right now. I'm loving the hot streak but a lot can change in 2 weeks.
    I wouldn't not have a lot of faith in Hansborough, Patterson, and Hayes on defence against a guy like Al Jefferson, Roy Hibbert, Al Horford (if he is even back for the playoffs), or Joakim Noah. Salmons is good but another guy to round out the bench would be nice and very doable w/ Novak and Fields to do moves.

Raptors chances at tanking into a top-5 pick now are slim-impossible. All I am saying is add to the bench without breaking up the core.

Comment

This team needs nothing. A "star" to make things murky for other people's role? No thanks.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
        If you could get Gasol (or insert any other aging once all-star) for just the expiring contracts you might as well do it and see if you can make some noise in the playoffs, but trading a pick is a bad idea.
        If a deal like that was on the table, it would've been made already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
          This team needs nothing. A "star" to make things murky for other people's role? No thanks.
          We actually do need a superstar or at least high level all star if we want to make the leap from playoff team to title contender.

Getting that player will be very difficult though. That being said we absolutely cannot mortgage assets for pseudo-stars that may be easier to acquire. There is a reason why players like pau gasol and zbo wouldn't be particularly tough to get, and it's because they aren't high level difference makers at this stage.

I think our best bet is trying to target that type of player in the draft. We have the scouting infrastructure and front office savvy to come away with a high level talent without being in the top 10 IMO.

It happens every draft, where a star or potential star falls further than he should. Carter-Williams and Antentokounmpo this year at 11 and 15. Drummond last year at 9. Klay Thompson and kawhi at 11 and 15 in 2011. George and Bledsoe at 10 and 18 in 2010. Jrue holiday and Lawson at 17 and 22 in 2009. Lopez and hibbert at 10 and 17 in 2008. And much more.

And 2014 is supposed to be deeper than all of those.
          Last edited by Masai Ujiri; Thu Jan 2, 2014, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Maybe since Philly wants to tank they'll just give us Turner. That way they can be sure they lose the division. Just send him in a big cake, we'll open it at half time and BAM! out comes Evan Turner and 45 strippers. And the cake says "congratulations Raptors, 2013-14 Atlantic Division Champions"

A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
              Maybe since Philly wants to tank they'll just give us Turner. That way they can be sure they lose the division. Just send him in a big cake, we'll open it at half time and BAM! out comes Evan Turner and 45 strippers. And the cake says "congratulations Raptors, 2013-14 Atlantic Division Champions"

Don't like Turner. He's not a star.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Not a star, but a very good SF, especially if he comes with free cake.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  i like turner, he can do almost everything but he doesn't fit with our team.

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                    Not a star, but a very good SF, especially if he comes with free cake.

Meh. He puts up decent numbers, but every time I watch him I see a guy who doesn't seem to get it. He doesn't have good focus or play a particularly smart game. I'd rather not have him on the Raps.

Comment

I think Turner's ideal role is probably 6th man.

Comment

I'd take DeRozan over Turner so no thanks

Comment

Do not, at any cost, break up our current bigs. They are spear heading our D which is what's keeping us on this current hot streak.

Comment

In a matter of months, Ujiri has done a great job of undoing a lot of BC's mess and replenishing the asset base for the organization.

I would be crushed if he squandered that by running out and moving some of those aforementioned assets to acquire an aging star for the short term, simply because of a 10 game hot streak.

Comment

Raptors have not won in so long that the fans here don't understand wining now vs wining in future. Turner will not take this team to next level that can make them win NOW. He is a nice piece for future. Zack R. will take us to that next level this season and the next season. By then Big Val and Ross and DD will be almost in their prime and we can continue wining by getting other stars.

As I said before, first we got to know what we are doing here.

We ARE NOT tanking anymore ...
                              Our pick is going to be mid to late first round.

Do we want to win it now and give it a serious push ? OR are we just happy to make it to play off and get our ass kicked by heat or Indiana?

This team has it all and need one more star to be a serious contender.

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                                Raptors have not won in so long that the fans here don't understand wining now vs wining in future. Turner will not take this team to next level that can make them win NOW. He is a nice piece for future. Zack R. will take us to that next level this season and the next season. By then Big Val and Ross and DD will be almost in their prime and we can continue wining by getting other stars.

As I said before, first we got to know what we are doing here.

We ARE NOT tanking anymore ...
                                Our pick is going to be mid to late first round.

Do we want to win it now and give it a serious push ? OR are we just happy to make it to play off and get our ass kicked by heat or Indiana?

This team has it all and need one more star to be a serious contender.
                                No no no no no

We are not beating Indiana or Miami in the playoffs this year unless we acquire an actual superstar this year. So mortgaging our future by trading young talent and/or picks for zbo doesn't change this team's peak at all (2nd round).

Comment

Working...
                                X