NBA Immovable Contracts...Honorable Mention - Landry Fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Immovable Contracts...Honorable Mention - Landry Fields

Wow, seems harsh. On the other hand, the perception around the league is that he can't shoot.

From ESP Insider " Landry Fields | Toronto Raptors: Two years and $12.5 million for a player still failing to live up to his rookie year standards. Also signed under the Arenas provision, so he is owed over $8 million in cash next year."

I thought his shot was coming around this season.

He's shooting 36%from the field and 63.6% from the FT line.

I'm still hopeful it improves. I just like his off-ball play so much and his D is definitely needed on the Raps. There have been several games where I thought he should be put in just to kill the hot shooting of an opposing player, and who cares about whether he scores or not.

At this point, I doesn't look like Fields will be getting any minutes outside of garbage time (unless a major injury to DeRozan or Ross happens).

But he is expiring next year, so there's still hope he'll eventually have some trade value.

Comment

Ugh. I was such a staunch defender of this guy and his damn contract. Every time I see Fields, I just want to punch the face of the clown who signed him to this. Everyone laughed at all the poison pill contracts signed 2 years ago. Only two have value in Lin and Asik (despite his drama). Ugh.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I was one of the few who suggested we HAD to rescind the Fields offer, once Nash decided on the Lakers.

"We can't, it would look bad" was basically the only rebuttal.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
          Ugh. I was such a staunch defender of this guy and his damn contract. Every time I see Fields, I just want to punch the face of the clown who signed him to this. Everyone laughed at all the poison pill contracts signed 2 years ago. Only two have value in Lin and Asik (despite his drama). Ugh.
          And both Lin and Asik are set to make around 15M next season. There isn't a hell of a lot of value at that price, which is probably why Houston couldn't get what they wanted for Asik.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
            And both Lin and Asik are set to make around 15M next season. There isn't a hell of a lot of value at that price, which is probably why Houston couldn't get what they wanted for Asik.
            They were asking for the moon and stars. And second, there really is something wrong with Asik's knee. The "reported" discussion of Lin + Asik for Deron implies value. The Raps can't get a bucketful of jock straps for Fields (with his wife in tow)!
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

We all know the story of Landry Fields, intelligent, well spoken, nice guy with a wonky jump shot and a bad contract. As a wing that has trouble finishing it is a kin to an outfielder that can't hit a curve ball in baseball.

Comment

im just wondering whats going on behind the scenes. maybe my memory is shot but i recall fields doing relatively well early in the season. not shooting-wise but on other things where he was getting praised for playing a pseudo-pg position. there needs to be an open gym ep on this shit!

Comment

Out of curiosity what are the other immovable contracts? I assume Amare would be leading the pack. The interesting thing is that MU was able to move what I would consider two immovable contracts in Bargnani and Gay. I wonder if he'd have similar luck with Fields.. although I would imagine that moving Fields would require moving another asset like a draft pick, Ross, or DD.

I said this in another thread.. but despite the fact that he has a bad contract he's a nice guy and not a cancer. For a team that is winning because of their chemistry it is nice to know they have a guy like Fields in the locker room.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    They were asking for the moon and stars. And second, there really is something wrong with Asik's knee. The "reported" discussion of Lin + Asik for Deron implies value. The Raps can't get a bucketful of jock straps for Fields (with his wife in tow)!
                    I'm just saying that if Asik wasn't making that kind of coin next season, he would have been traded IMO.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      I said this in another thread.. but despite the fact that he has a bad contract he's a nice guy and not a cancer. For a team that is winning because of their chemistry it is nice to know they have a guy like Fields in the locker room.
                      Agreed. Fields can be seen on the bench standing/cheering more often than not.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        I was one of the few who suggested we HAD to rescind the Fields offer, once Nash decided on the Lakers.

"We can't, it would look bad" was basically the only rebuttal.
                        You don't want to cross the agents.

So few of them represent so many of the players.

Once the offer was made, I don't think you can take it back.

It is so sad really. If he could shoot, he'd still be over paid, but it wouldn't be getting recognition of an immovable contract.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          You don't want to cross the agents.

So few of them represent so many of the players.

Once the offer was made, I don't think you can take it back.

It is so sad really. If he could shoot, he'd still be over paid, but it wouldn't be getting recognition of an immovable contract.
                          In hindsight, it would've looked bad on Colangelo.....which wouldn't really matter to the Raptors today.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            In hindsight, it would've looked bad on Colangelo.....which wouldn't really matter to the Raptors today.
                            This. Although I'm sure there's some residual effect on the organization. No evidence to back this up but I imagine it leaves a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths, regardless of new management and whatnot.

Comment

themasao wrote: View Post
                              This. Although I'm sure there's some residual effect on the organization. No evidence to back this up but I imagine it leaves a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths, regardless of new management and whatnot.
                              This. And it's too bad. I was a very staunch supporter of Fields (I follow the Knicks as well, they were my favourite team growing up, so I still keep tabs on them from time to time), and I was excited at the prospect of having a guy in the mould of Anthony Parker on this team - solid at many things, but master of none, and a good locker room guy. But that poison pill proviso coupled with the nerve damage, and it just all ended up flat lining and that's a shame.

Comment

Working...
                              X