Stars/Potential Stars who could become available over next 2-3 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Overall it is a team game. However there are a select few players that can have that kind of an impact. They are the true franchise players and Irving and Boogie don't cut it. One that stands out vividly for me is Wade in 2008-09. They only went 43-39 but you remove him and wowzers.

On another note, Cleveland is a great, textbook example on tanking. They did it right. They set themselves up beautifully - until they made decisions. The game plan/strategy was stellar, luck helped them immensely (like any strategy) but their decisions blew humongous chunks of awfulness.

But that is the deal no matter what method of building a team pursues. Detroit built through free agency - twice! - with horrible results the first time and very underwhelming results the 2nd time it appears.

Whatever, Masai. Whatever you decide.
    Then who are your examples?
    Lebron had Sideshow and Z, Jordan had Oakley (pre-Knicks)...the closest thing to a "superstar" dragging a team of mediocre players to the playoffs single-handily from my memory was a pre-injury TJ Ford Bucks team. That's using the term "superstar" REALLY loosely, but every other team I can think of I can think of quality players who were on the team.

The only reason you can slag Kyrie and Boogie is because they have the unfortunate fate of being on poorly managed teams. IF Kyrie can get out of Cleveland uninjured, and Boogie moves to a better situation with a vet to mentor him, with a straight face, you can say those kids will not become superstars?

Dirk wasn't automatically a superstar, neither Kobe, or KG, etc., etc., (I think we've had this debate before so I'll stop here.)

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
      Then who are your examples?
      Lebron had Sideshow and Z, Jordan had Oakley (pre-Knicks)...the closest thing to a "superstar" dragging a team of mediocre players to the playoffs single-handily from my memory was a pre-injury TJ Ford Bucks team. That's using the term "superstar" REALLY loosely, but every other team I can think of I can think of quality players who were on the team.

The only reason you can slag Kyrie and Boogie is because they have the unfortunate fate of being on poorly managed teams. IF Kyrie can get out of Cleveland uninjured, and Boogie moves to a better situation with a vet to mentor him, with a straight face, you can say those kids will not become superstars?

Dirk wasn't automatically a superstar, neither Kobe, or KG, etc., etc., (I think we've had this debate before so I'll stop here.)
      To be clear isn't the conversation about a player dragging a team in to the playoffs?

I gave you Wade in 08-09 and mentioned the true franchise players.

You've taken the conversation literal. Unless they are playing 1-on-5 no player will do it by himself however that is not the point. The point is, at least for me, take one player off a playoff team and see where they end up.

Comment

Matt was banned? What the hell?
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          Matt was banned? What the hell?
          I think he just needs a break to clear his head. We'll leave it at that.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            matt was banned? What the hell?
            wtf???
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

On a positive note, two years from now this list will look very different. Two years ago, how many of us would've felt confident about signing Steph Curry or Paul George on a star contract? Now they are top 10 players in the league. Three years ago, before the Jeff Green - Perkins trade, many people were thinking of James Harden as a bust for a top 3 pick. I remember Bill Simmons "what if OKC didn't mess up the pick and chose Ricky Rubio over Harden" discussions. Or, two years ago, who knew Bledsoe would develop and play like an All Star, or that a player like that would be available for Jared Dudley and a 2nd round pick.

We will have those types of risers again, like always. Maybe it's someone like Lance Stephenson, who looked about as good as Quincy Acy two years ago and who's already playing very well, but still has a lot of upside. Or someone like Archie Goodwin, who has all the raw gifts you want out of a SG - athleticism, motor, attitude - but who's a major project and has no jump shot at all right now a la Bledsoe a few years ago. Or most likely someone that none of us is thinking about at all right now.

I imagine these are the type of opportunities that Ujiri and many other GMs will look for, and he would do it regardless if the plan was to tank or not. I don't expect a Durant or Love. Major long shots. But there are bound to be others who aren't on the list right now.

Comment

C-Low wrote: View Post
                If I were Toronto I'd see what Thad Young's asking price is.
                According to Chad Ford (who's not the most reliable source, but still), the Cavs wanted him and Philly asked for their 2014 1st as part of the deal.

Comment

since when does trading for players work out for the raptors
                  in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
                    since when does trading for players work out for the raptors
                    Remember when we picked up Vince Carter for scraps?

Wait, I'm remembering that wrong..

Comment

Garbo wrote: View Post
                      Remember when we picked up Vince Carter for scraps?

Wait, I'm remembering that wrong..
                      hahaah
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                      X