Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andre Miller - Worth our time as trade target?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre Miller - Worth our time as trade target?

First Glance:

Positives:
    Steady Reserve Guard
    Experienced
    Good at setting up other players - former assists leader
    Very good BB IQ

Negatives:
    OLD - 37 years. Masai Ujiri prefers youngster with up-sides
    Attitude problem - but that just might be from the DNP Coach's decisions. The Raptors can offer another Playoff experience
    Contract - owed the balance of his $5 million this season and a partial guarantee of $2 million in 2014-15 on his contract. Not ridiculous this year and OK for next year.

Trade him for
    1) I don't know - what is a complaining 37 year-old former assists leader worth? Sacramento wants him to mentor Isiah Thomas.
    2) Vasquez - Vasquez has not been the steady hand as backup and has made noises he doesn't want to be reserve. Negatives - Younger, maybe he can settle down, long term thinking would have him as good trade fodder

If you don't have to give up any meaningful assets to get him? Why not?

Wish DEN would take Landry's contract for him lol.

Comment

I knew one of these threads was going to pop up ... UGH.

No.. We don't want, nor do we need Miller, who is going to demand a role, and demand minutes, when we have Kyle and GV.

If we trade one of them for him, then fine.. but that would be a DUMB trade.

Comment

Miller is, essentially, an older, more experienced Vasquez. His pluses and minuses are the same as Vasquez except magnified: he's a facilitating floor-general PG with an okay enough shot that he's not a liability on offense (and he's better than Vasquez at this because he's so experienced he knows exactly how to set up the offense) and no defense (and he's worse than Vasquez because he's 37 and has even less lateral speed than Vasquez).

So, in short, we've already got Andre Miller: The Next Generation playing for us, except on a more favourable contract situation and he seems thrilled to be here. If we were to trade for Miller, the only sensible move would be to trade Vasquez back and get some compensation in the deal (e.g. a second-rounder). But that isn't going to happen and it's not worth the energy to try and make it happen.

Comment

Miller would be a great mentor for a young PG (I don't think Lawson would be as good without Miller there). Lowry is already a vet so he won't need him. GV does what Miller does on the court so doesn't work there either.

Could be used as a facilitator if Denver needs the help and another team is looking for a good backup with basically an expiring contract (he only has $2M guaranteed next season).

Comment

What happened with him in Denver anyways?
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              What happened with him in Denver anyways?
              Fighting with his head coach Brian Shaw on the bench during a game because Shaw did not decide to play him when Andre was healthy
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I do like Miller, but he is quite old. I would consider moving him for one or more of our unused players. He could be a good 10th guy, and someone to give the ball to when Vasquez is getting exploited. He still has a good post up game!

Comment

PG is the Raps deepest position. I'm good thanks.
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                    Fighting with his head coach Brian Shaw on the bench during a game because Shaw did not decide to play him when Andre was healthy
                    It also ended his 235 game playing streak and was the first DNP-CD in his 31 year career, too.

It is unfortunate situation. It is not like he became Anthony Carter. Still a productive player.

For the Raptors though, at this point in Miller's career, I think the most value he has is the $2M guaranteed next season. If they could unload Fields or Hayes, that would be good. Not going to happen straight up though. If something bigger was involved, like DeRozan from Toronto and Fournier/Faried/Hamilton/2016 Knicks pick swap from Denver, then that would be interesting.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      It also ended his 235 game playing streak and was the first DNP-CD in his 31 year career, too.

It is unfortunate situation. It is not like he became Anthony Carter. Still a productive player.

For the Raptors though, at this point in Miller's career, I think the most value he has is the $2M guaranteed next season. If they could unload Fields or Hayes, that would be good. Not going to happen straight up though. If something bigger was involved, like DeRozan from Toronto and Fournier/Faried/Hamilton/2016 Knicks pick swap from Denver, then that would be interesting.
                      If something bigger was involved yes, but Derozan ? Fournier ,Hamilton - young but unproven. Not even close to Derozan's caliber. We fill in the PF position with Faried where we already have Patterson,Amir, Psyho T. I don't get it. Why would we make such trade? ?

Comment

Too old do we really want another Anthony Carter?

*shudder

Also GV can be traded later for something better I think regardless of how he is playing now he can still be sold at a decent price, if Masai just says "great guy came off a career year he just doesnt fit where our team is going.."

Comment

I like the idea. GV's not running the bench well enough (DC's taken to playing Lowry with the bench and giving Vasquez minutes with at least 3 starters), and a more experienced PG could probably sort some of those issues out.

Professor Miller's a very good basketball player and is probably frustrated - Denver's falling apart, and it looks like coaching's part of the problem.

But he's old. I'd still rather wait and see on GV than trade him. If the Raps didn't have GV, then it'd definitely be worth looking at bringing Miller in.

This team could still use some veteran leadership. Not in a "win now" sense, more for the mentorship of these young players.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Apparently Kings are offering either Freddette or Thornton with a 2nd round pick for Miller. And potentially a 3rd scenario involving Jason Thompson. Thornton having a rough year but I think I'd take that if I'm Denver, especially with Gallinari's return date questionable.

Comment

Working...
                            X