No announcement yet.

Screw Tanking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawks 'big 3' wasn't too bad, even at that price. Two legit all stars and a borderline all star in Smith.

But they screwed up so many other decisions. Drafting Marvin Williams, Josh Childress and Shelden Williams over CP3, Luol Deng and Brandon Roy in consecutive years. Overpaying Marvin Williams, similar to Raptors and Bargnani. Losing Childress to Europe when he started to improve. Not getting a legit starting point guard nor a good offensive coach until the last few years.

Also, that big 3 was rarely healthy all at once.

Lets even ignore the stars and superstars that were drafted right after their picks. If they just got competent supporting cast and coaching, and stayed healthy, I think they would've been a perennial 50 wins team. Maybe not that "tier 1" contender, but very good.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sat Jan 11, 2014, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
      Hawks 'big 3' wasn't too bad, even at that price. Two legit all stars and a borderline all star in Smith.

But they screwed up so many other decisions. Drafting Marvin Williams, Josh Childress and Shelden Williams over CP3, Luol Deng and Brandon Roy in consecutive years. Overpaying Marvin Williams, similar to Raptors and Bargnani. Losing Childress to Europe when he started to improve. Not getting a legit starting point guard nor a good offensive coach until the last few years.

Also, that big 3 was rarely healthy all at once.

Lets even ignore the stars and superstars that were drafted right after their picks. If they just got competent supporting cast and coaching, and stayed healthy, I think they would've been a perennial 50 wins team. Maybe not that "tier 1" contender, but very good.
      Just goes to show all the variables that have to come together to build a champion. A better coach probably could have made a big difference, and being healthy is certainly a major factor. Nonetheless, I think you have more faith in Smith than I do. Honestly, I'd rather pay Amir $13.5M per than Smith, although that wouldn't be a good decision either, but better than Smith IMO.

Comment

• Wow, lots of people dropping the T bomb in here ha, ha.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Banning the word **** is actually pretty lame.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
            Just goes to show all the variables that have to come together to build a champion. A better coach probably could have made a big difference, and being healthy is certainly a major factor. Nonetheless, I think you have more faith in Smith than I do. Honestly, I'd rather pay Amir $13.5M per than Smith, although that wouldn't be a good decision either, but better than Smith IMO.
            Well, we have to judge what Smith gave Atlanta, not Detroit. Back then, he was a borderline all star in many of those years and making 11.5 mil on average.

Comment

• some relevant news from hoopshype this morning:

"For the first time, there are certifiable rumbles emanating from Toronto suggesting that the Raptors might well keep point guard Kyle Lowry for the rest of the season. Word is new GM Masai Ujiri continues to resist locking into any sort of firm position -- leaving open the possibility of a Lowry deal if the offers suddenly get sweeter -- but team officials appear to be growing increasingly comfortable with the idea that it’s better to go for what would be just Toronto's third playoff berth in 13 seasons rather than try to do the absolute uber-****ing it would take from here for the 17-17 Raps to get into Andrew Wiggins range now."

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                Well, we have to judge what Smith gave Atlanta, not Detroit. Back then, he was a borderline all star in many of those years and making 11.5 mil on average.
                True, and what he gave Atlanta is certainly more than he is giving Detroit. Nonetheless, he is the same type of player IMO.

Comment

• Wow, this forum has gone to hell in a handbasket over the past few days.

Too much "Leaf Fan Syndrome" all around in this forum: when we win a few games we're suddenly a contender, but when the pendulum swings back we're suddenly shit. Reality is that this team has been bad to mediocre for years, and some people, believe it or not, aren't ready to say "we're ready to compete" after a 15 game stretch. We all remember the Bargnani situation, don't we?

By the way, banning a word is fucking idiocy.

Comment

• I was even before this season started against blowing up the team just so you can get a high draft pick as there were many unknowns and too many teams trying to do the same thing. Now in the last week or so I have read several articles that argue this class has franchise changing talent at all (the only reason one would **** in the first place).
                    Quote:
                    "Deep as this draft class is, its star quotient is another question. Setting aside comparisons to LeBron James and Durant, who are beyond anyone on the horizon, no one in this class is as highly regarded as No. 1 picks Anthony Davis (2012), Kyrie Irving (2011), John Wall (2010), Blake Griffin (2009) or Derrick Rose (2008).
                    If you called the Pelicans, the Cavs or any of those teams and offered this year’s first pick for their guy, they’d fall over laughing,” says a Western Conference personnel guy."

Now I am no NBA scout, so cannot say Parker, Wiggins or Randle are future all-stars or not, but the fact that even many scouts do not think so highly of the ceiling of this years class is a definite nail in the coffin.

Link:
                    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markheis...ent-that-good/

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                      Wow, this forum has gone to hell in a handbasket over the past few days.

Too much "Leaf Fan Syndrome" all around in this forum: when we win a few games we're suddenly a contender, but when the pendulum swings back we're suddenly shit. Reality is that this team has been bad to mediocre for years, and some people, believe it or not, aren't ready to say "we're ready to compete" after a 15 game stretch. We all remember the Bargnani situation, don't we?

By the way, banning a word is fucking idiocy.

But, on the flipside...."screw *****" is the funniest thread title in a while. Anyone else see Jimmy Kimmel's "This Week in Unnecessary Censorhip?"

Comment

• What the ****. This is a ****ing travesty. I can't ****ing handle it. We are going to waste another ****ing year.

It's a giant cluster****. I trusted you to do the right ****ing thing, MU. Instead you ****ed our dreams.

Comment

Working...
                        X