X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R.
    replied
    octothorp wrote: View Post
    I think he had a decent eye for talent and an awful touch for building a team. His philosophy seemed to be identify the best player on your roster and build around them, first with Bosh, then with Bargnani, and given the chance he would have rebuilt the roster around Gay. Which is a terrible approach to team-building, unless you've got an absolute superstar as your best player. I mean, it reflects just as poorly on Colangelo now that he had a lot of the right pieces but was unable to see how they would work as a team. You know that he would have traded any of the current starters to get pieces he thought would go better with Gay.
    This makes a lot of sense.

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    I think he had a decent eye for talent and an awful touch for building a team. His philosophy seemed to be identify the best player on your roster and build around them, first with Bosh, then with Bargnani, and given the chance he would have rebuilt the roster around Gay. Which is a terrible approach to team-building, unless you've got an absolute superstar as your best player. I mean, it reflects just as poorly on Colangelo now that he had a lot of the right pieces but was unable to see how they would work as a team. You know that he would have traded any of the current starters to get pieces he thought would go better with Gay.

Leave a comment:

• Fully
    replied
    JawsGT wrote: View Post
    None of which would have been good for JV's and Ross's development. The other thing about BC, is that he never seemed to be on the same page with the coach. In just a few months really, MU has been able to get Casey something he can actually work with, and MU hasn't even committed to building with this core or Casey as of yet.
    Agreed on both accounts. You don't need to convince me that BC was a clown. I wanted him gone before his extension in 2011.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle_Si
    replied
    Colangelo was a disaster. Masais biggest moves have been undoing the messes colangelo creates

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    Fully wrote: View Post
    I still maintain that he was a terrible GM. You can't just gloss over the parts about Bargnani and Gay - they were the two biggest hindrances on the roster. Plus in the case of Gay, it actually cost the team assets to bring him here and bog things down. I can almost guarantee that Gay would still be on the roster if BC was still in charge and I can't rule out Bargnani being allowed to stay either.
    None of which would have been good for JV's and Ross's development. The other thing about BC, is that he never seemed to be on the same page with the coach. In just a few months really, MU has been able to get Casey something he can actually work with, and MU hasn't even committed to building with this core or Casey as of yet.

Leave a comment:

• Fully
    replied
    I still maintain that he was a terrible GM. You can't just gloss over the parts about Bargnani and Gay - they were the two biggest hindrances on the roster. Plus in the case of Gay, it actually cost the team assets to bring him here and bog things down. I can almost guarantee that Gay would still be on the roster if BC was still in charge and I can't rule out Bargnani being allowed to stay either.

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    ceez wrote: View Post
    I like how now that Ross is coming into his own a lot of people are saying "wait maybe BC made the right pick?!" meanwhile Ross was a Stefanski pick
    Meh. I've always been a Ross supporter. I wasn't pissed at all when we took him over Drummond...Once again, I just also thought we could probably trade down a few spots and still get him, but who knows...

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    I like how now that Ross is coming into his own a lot of people are saying "wait maybe BC made the right pick?!" meanwhile Ross was a Stefanski pick

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    BC did some good things to be sure. But he wasn't a good GM. It's akin to what Dumars has done in DET IMO. Lol, Smith and Jennings were just terrible moves for that roster, just like relying on Bargs and adding Gay were bad moves. He had a decent eye for talent, but not necessarily a good eye for character (eg. Hedo, Bargs, Alston and Gay) and did not know how to build a proper TEAM.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post
    Not really. It's the team....that would be 15 players, not the starting 5 in a vacuum. It's also the environment surrounding the team and the vibes generated by management and coaches towards the players. Does anyone believe that if there was no addition of TH and the players from Sac and deletion of Gay that the same BC acquired players and the team would be enjoying this resurgence? It should be obvious by now that it is much more than throwing some talented individuals together and having them perform as a winning NBA team. It's much more tenuous and indeed complex than that.

Emphasis on "team" and all that entails including respecting and liking each other.
    I agree completely with this and the importance of Ujiri's work, but still - hasn't the basic take on this team completely changed? Pre-trade they were a steaming Colangelo-induced mess expected to tank. Now they're aiming for the 3rd seed in the conference, and the fact remains that they're doing this with a starting 5 selected by Colangelo. Ujiri's basically pruned the tree, but Colangelo planted it.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Don't get me started on Dwyane Wade....
    I fear the day when all these current young kids become adults we have to deal with in the real world. Parents not only make up names now, they make sure the spellings are completely unique. Ugh. Surely one day extra terrestrial archaeologists will look back and pinpoint the demise of human civilization on the day we forgot how to spell our own names.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Not really. It's the team....that would be 15 players, not the starting 5 in a vacuum. It's also the environment surrounding the team and the vibes generated by management and coaches towards the players. Does anyone believe that if there was no addition of TH and the players from Sac and deletion of Gay that the same BC acquired players and the team would be enjoying this resurgence? It should be obvious by now that it is much more than throwing some talented individuals together and having them perform as a winning NBA team. It's much more tenuous and indeed complex than that.

Emphasis on "team" and all that entails including respecting and liking each other.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    LOL - I can spell his name right. Unfortunately his parents couldn't. "Bryan" is basically a variant created because Anglo-Saxons didn't know how to spell. I refuse to conform.

#coveringupforadumbmistake
    Don't get me started on Dwyane Wade....

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Except, Colangelo didn't put together this team. He put together a team featuring Rudy Gay, Andrea Bargnani, and Landry Fields making $6 million a year.

BC did some good things in Toronto but they were always neutralized by all the horrendous moves he made.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    No, because you can't overlook his reluctance to move Bargnani, his pointless pursuit and acquisition of Gay, and the fact that no winning team could be built around those guys with the pieces we had. If BC were still here, our starting lineup would probably be Jonas-Bargs-Gay-DeMar-Lowry.

But, can we spell his name right? It's Bryan. BRYAN.
    LOL - I can spell his name right. Unfortunately his parents couldn't. "Bryan" is basically a variant created because Anglo-Saxons didn't know how to spell. I refuse to conform.

#coveringupforadumbmistake

Leave a comment:

Working...
X