Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyle Lowry AND DeMar DeRozan all stars??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post
    Pretty pathetic that Irving got voted in as a starter. This guy don't deserve to be on the team. Kyle Lowry is way more deserving. If Irving didn't get voted in he has as much chance of making the AS team as Afflalo.

Crazy that one of DD or Lowry will not make the team. Both very deserving.
    We don't know who will or will not make the team yet.
    So sense in getting upset about a snub before it actually happens.

The players realize that the fans vote in the starters, and I can't imagine either Lowry or Demar are upset about not being a starter. Afterall, its all about who finishes the game that counts.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

The players realize that the fans vote in the starters, and I can't imagine either Lowry or Demar are upset about not being a starter. Afterall, its all about who finishes the game that counts.
      Fan voting is a popularity contest, which, ultimately is what the all-star game is. I think it's time that was recognized. The only place I see the accolade really acknowledged is in the HOF, but hopefully now that we have more advanced stats, those can be used instead.

The NBA used to be a counter's league.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
        Fan voting is a popularity contest, which, ultimately is what the all-star game is. I think it's time that was recognized. The only place I see the accolade really acknowledged is in the HOF, but hopefully now that we have more advanced stats, those can be used instead.

The NBA used to be a counter's league.
        I agree that fan voting is a popularity contest, but disagree that the entire game is as well.
        The coaches generally make the right decision with who should be included in the game as reserves, and by the 3rd/4th quarter, it usually turns into a real game, where the Head Coach will make decisions based on winning the game, and not whos more popular.

Comment

Oh i'm pretty confident that one of DD or Lowry will not make the team. And that is just wrong. Specially when you have guys like Irving starting.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
            Oh i'm pretty confident that one of DD or Lowry will not make the team. And that is just wrong. Specially when you have guys like Irving starting.
            Agreed on Irving, but to be fair, Afflalo is more deserving of an all-star spot than DD imo.

All the stats point to Afflalo being an high-scoring, efficient, team player.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
              Agreed on Irving, but to be fair, Afflalo is more deserving of an all-star spot than DD imo.

All the stats point to Afflalo being an high-scoring, efficient, team player.
              Afflalo plays for the Magic. One of the worst teams in the league.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

I agree that fan voting is a popularity contest, but disagree that the entire game is as well.
                The coaches generally make the right decision with who should be included in the game as reserves, and by the 3rd/4th quarter, it usually turns into a real game, where the Head Coach will make decisions based on winning the game, and not whos more popular.
                In addition to the fan voting, there's a few other things that often drive me nuts about all-star selection.

First, name recognition is way too powerful a force. The all-star game is supposed to be about the current season, but many veteran players are often given preferential treatment by both fans and coaches, based on past seasons and/or their entire career.

Second, winning teams are often given too much weight. Not every decent player on a good team is truly an individual all-star player.

Third, good players on bad teams are too often written-off. Yes, some guys enjoy bloated stats from playing on bad teams, where the cliché rings true that "somebody needs to score". However, sometimes, a guy really can be an all-star caliber player, having an all-star caliber season, while playing on a bad team. (don't even get me started how the MVP typically comes from one of the top-5 teams in the league most years, when many middle-of-the-ground teams are far more reliant on a single player for their success).

Fourth, too much weight is put on scoring. Some players just aren't depended on to score, and they fulfill their role at an elite level, whether it's defense, rebounding or passing. The old PG position used to give some well deserved kudos to pass-first PGs, but some elite players at the other positions who don't score a ton of points, more than often get overshadowed by their high-scoring counterparts.

And no, I have no idea how to fix any of this, because so much of it is subjective. lol

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

And no, I have no idea how to fix any of this, because so much of it is subjective. lol
                  I think removing the fan vote would be a good place to start. That would at least eliminate the Kobe Bryant type selections where the voted in based on name recognition and past season performance.

Coaches have a better gauge of who's most deserving of an All-Star spot.

Comment

• The reason there are all star snubs every year is because of fan voting! If there wasn't fan voting in pretty sure Irving would not make it and both Lowry and derozan would be in
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Heard a good idea on Tim & Sid regarding the All Star game selection. Have the coaches pick all the players to make the all star team. Have the fans vote for who starts and who comes off the bench. Simple. I like it.

Comment

• rseal wrote: View Post
                        I think removing the fan vote would be a good place to start. That would at least eliminate the Kobe Bryant type selections where the voted in based on name recognition and past season performance.

No way, no how. Not gonna happen. And I'd be upset if they did.
                        The NBA owes all it is to the fans. The All-Star game is their way of giving back to the fans, and letting the fans determine something for a change. I'm fine with Irving being a starter. If you have a problem with anything, take exception to the NBA Hype Machine, as that's what ultimately makes the picks.

My BIGGEST problem with the All-Star Fan Voting is that they elimated Center.
                        I think that was absolutely the Dumbest thing they could have done. Makes Zero sense.
                        Now not a single Center is given credit as an NBA All-Star starter. That's shitty of the NBA to do that to that position.
                        Last edited by Joey; Tue Jan 28, 2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• .40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
                          Heard a good idea on Tim & Sid regarding the All Star game selection. Have the coaches pick all the players to make the all star team. Have the fans vote for who starts and who comes off the bench. Simple. I like it.
                          God damnit, those guys are brilliant aren't they?
                          I've heard the idea of letting the Coaches choose the Starters, and fans choose the bench, but this way is actually perfect.
                          I'd never heard it before.

Comment

• rseal wrote: View Post

I think fan voting is necessary, since the all-star game is a showcase for them.

I have often thought that there should be requirements on eligibility for players able to be voted in, such as games played, minutes played, etc... This would prevent injured stars from being voted in, or even players that aren't really premier players.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              I think fan voting is necessary, since the all-star game is a showcase for them.

I have often thought that there should be requirements on eligibility for players able to be voted in, such as games played, minutes played, etc... This would prevent injured stars from being voted in, or even players that aren't really premier players.
                              Good place to start. The fact that the Sports media (Doug Smith being one of them) choose who is eligible for voting before the season even starts is ludicrous.

Comment

God damnit, those guys are brilliant aren't they?
                                I've heard the idea of letting the Coaches choose the Starters, and fans choose the bench, but this way is actually perfect.
                                I'd never heard it before.
                                Yea I heard the idea and immediately jumped on board. It's perfect man. The fans are still involved as they should be (it is a showcase for the fans after all) but the homerism of the popularity contest is removed. Win win. I hope this idea gains some traction.

Comment

Working...
                                X