Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like Lowry is a priority

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looks like Lowry is a priority

    Source:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...g-In-Offseason

    Which is makes a lot of sense. Realistically, when you look at the crop of free agents and the fact that we will most likely fall way out of the lottery, makes no sense to trade one of if not your best player. Whether he leaves or not well that'll be on Lowry.

  • #2
    Could we possibly Sign and Trade and try to pick up a pick? Lowry's value has gone up quite a bit, so it would make sense. I don't know all the CBA stuff and how trading and contracts work, so I don't know if it would be possible.
    "Masai WILL win us a championship"
    - Tim Leiweke

    Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

    Reporter: "How can you say that?"

    Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

    Comment


    • #3
      KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
      Could we possibly Sign and Trade and try to pick up a pick? Lowry's value has gone up quite a bit, so it would make sense. I don't know all the CBA stuff and how trading and contracts work, so I don't know if it would be possible.
      if he is a raptor after the deadline this is what will happen unless money and years aren't factors for lowry

      Comment


      • #4
        The only question is does Lowry want to stay?

        The Raps will only have $39.3 Mill in guaranteed contracts -- they can pay the guy. Who else can, (will have $8-10Mill to sign him) and needs a lead guard? Orlando ($33.5 Mill)? The Lakers ($34 Mill w/ only 6 players signed! Oh wait, that's only 3 guaranteed contracts...wow.) Everyone else is up against the cap or has a lead guard. If Kyle wants to be a backup on another team -- power to him.

        Unless I'm missing a team, there's no rush.

        Comment


        • #5
          Miekenstien wrote: View Post
          if he is a raptor after the deadline this is what will happen unless money and years aren't factors for lowry
          Why? A sign and trade no longer offers the benefits to players it once did. He would make exactly the same annual pay, raises and max years with a sign and trade as he would outright signing somewhere. If the Raptors want a sign and trade, they'll have to cross their fingers and hope he chooses a team that doesn't have cap space (as a note, more than half the teams in the league can have significant cap space this summer).
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

          Comment


          • #6
            DanH wrote: View Post
            Why? A sign and trade no longer offers the benefits to players it once did. He would make exactly the same annual pay, raises and max years with a sign and trade as he would outright signing somewhere. If the Raptors want a sign and trade, they'll have to cross their fingers and hope he chooses a team that doesn't have cap space (as a note, more than half the teams in the league can have significant cap space this summer).
            I didn't know this. I thought Bird Rights still exist allowing the Raptors to offer more money along with an extra year.

            Comment


            • #7
              Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I didn't know this. I thought Bird Rights still exist allowing the Raptors to offer more money along with an extra year.
              The Raptors can indeed offer more money and an extra year. But not in a sign and trade. Only if they sign and keep Lowry. Sign and trades can no longer utilize Bird Right raises and contract length - the only part of Bird Rights that apply to S+T's is the ability to go over the cap to sign the player.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

              Comment


              • #8
                Is there a better alternative out there? I say re up him, he's in his prime. Control the asset, trade him later if need be. There will always be demand for 3 and D veteran point guards.

                Comment


                • #9
                  IROR wrote: View Post
                  Is there a better alternative out there? I say re up him, he's in his prime. Control the asset, trade him later if need be. There will always be demand for 3 and D veteran point guards.
                  Yup, gotta lock up them MVP point guards!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Lowry - 4th best WARP for PGs in the league, 8th best overall.

                    Is he the star we've been desperate for?
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

                    -Superjudge, 7/23

                    Hope you're wrong.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      stooley wrote: View Post
                      Lowry - 4th best WARP for PGs in the league, 8th best overall.

                      Is he the star we've been desperate for?
                      I wouldn't call him a star
                      Nevermind what haters say,
                      ignore them ítil they fade away. - T.I

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think they should listen but not actively seek out deal. That way there is honest deniabilty later when the rumour mill swirls.

                        Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Apollo wrote: View Post
                          I think they should listen but not actively seek out deal. That way there is honest deniabilty later when the rumour mill swirls.

                          Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
                          Yeah you never know someone might offer you a lottery pick.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            IROR wrote: View Post
                            Is there a better alternative out there? I say re up him, he's in his prime. Control the asset, trade him later if need be. There will always be demand for 3 and D veteran point guards.
                            You pretty much nailed the alternative. Ujiri threw big bucks at Nene, and later traded him. Presumably so he wouldn't lose an asset, but I still maintain that the contract he gave him was atrocious.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              chch166 wrote: View Post
                              I wouldn't call him a star
                              This begs the question of whether or not that's an error in perception. He's definitely a focal point of our offense. The impact is tangible when he comes off the bench. The stats seem to agree.
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

                              -Superjudge, 7/23

                              Hope you're wrong.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X