No announcement yet.

Game #37: Toronto Raptors 83 - Boston Celtics 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the ugliest games I've seen in a very long time. The NBA should correct the standings and award BOTH teams with a loss. Pathetic ball from both clubs.

But, the Raps have been playing lights out for the better part of a month. An eventual let down was inevitable.

It's better to learn these lessons mid season, rather than in the playoffs. The first 5 minutes vs. Minny will tell us a lot about just how far this team has come.

Comment

• The team was probably overdue for a stinker, but it's still disappointing to be the first team to lose to the Celtics in close to a month... and while Boston was short handed to boot.

Jared Sullinger also destroyed us, which probably shouldn't happen.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
        How are Washington a lowly team. They are literally right behind us in the standings now. We have just dropped back down to 4th in the east.

Unlike the spurs and the Heat, we can't afford to lose these gimme games. The whole point of an easy January is to make sure we win these ones because were probably gonna still lose the tougher upcoming matches. Losing to boston = absolute embarrassment and a waste of an easy potential W to keep this team afloat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
        Compared to the Heat and Spurs, Washington, Jazz and yes, imo, the Raps are "lowly" teams.

Based on the recent record and play the Celtics currently are "lowly" compared to the Raps.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
          We are still a very perimeter oriented offence, with our bigs constantly running screens for our guards and wings. That's a lot of energy to expend game in and game out IMO. It would be nice to have a good post presence, which would relieve the team of having to play such a heavy PnR type offence combined with all the off ball screens.
          I have been saying that for a while now. You can see that Johnson is getting beat up once again this season with all the minutes he plays. Casey also needs to manage DeMar DeRozan's minutes better--fatigue was no doubt a reason for his fourth quarter mistakes last night. When Hansbrough comes back, he needs to take a page out of Patterson's book and start moving without the ball, getting open, and shooting. He has not had more than four shots in a game since November.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Sorry, I had missed this first reply of yours. I'm not sure why you responded to my post twice, several hours apart, with increasing hostility.

I totally get what you're saying about playoff experience being valuable to a team, but that's really only if the team stays together. It's not efficient asset management or team-building, if the team is broken up, especially when the engine that drives the team (Lowry) is the piece that is removed (by walking away as a free agent). My whole point was that all the potential benefits of a relatively successful season would be completely undone, if Lowry walks for nothing in return in the offseason.

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say "hope you read the entire thread and it's context". I simply responded to a short message you posted here in the game thread, saying something along the lines of "if the Raptors lose in the conference finals and Lowry leaves as a free agent, I'd be ok with that". I was just asking why you'd be ok with that, because it would seem like the worst possible outcome for this season to me. They would have missed a chance to rebuild/retool and **** ahead of the draft, only to be forced into a rebuild/retool by watching Lowry walk for no return... am I missing something?

If this team proves that the post-Gay improvements and success are for real and they continue to improve, I'd be fine with Lowry being re-signed at a reasonable salary. I just don't get how a season in which the team doesn't win the championship, doesn't take advantage of the loaded draft and lets Lowry leave without getting any sort of return, can be considered a good season. You said you'd be fine with that and I just asked you why, because I can't fathom the logic behind being fine with that and was honestly just trying to understand where you're coming from.
            Trading Lowry just because you think he will walk is the wrong approach IMO. Only if you can get fair value. By your logic we should trade KL so as not to lose a valuable asset for nothing. What message does that send to the locker room ? The raptors will not go from bottom feeders to a championship in one year. It is a process. Part of this process is the playoffs. If you believe the Raps can only be successful with KL as starting PG then he should be extended. I love KL but I am leary of another big contract. He is not the only PG who could be successful here. At the end of the day you have to assume some risks in asset management. You seem unwilling to do so. I am willing to risk letting KL leave if MU cannot get what he wants if we get an extended playoff run.

In my scenario which choice did you prefer?

Also I would refer you to the KL to NY thread for further context.

Comment

• Not very often do I miss two Raps games in a row. Is this one even worth downloading?
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                Not very often do I miss two Raps games in a row. Is this one even worth downloading?
                I don't advise it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                OG is our king

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                  Trading Lowry just because you think he will walk is the wrong approach IMO. Only if you can get fair value. By your logic we should trade KL so as not to lose a valuable asset for nothing. What message does that send to the locker room ? The raptors will not go from bottom feeders to a championship in one year. It is a process. Part of this process is the playoffs. If you believe the Raps can only be successful with KL as starting PG then he should be extended. I love KL but I am leary of another big contract. He is not the only PG who could be successful here. At the end of the day you have to assume some risks in asset management. You seem unwilling to do so. I am willing to risk letting KL leave if MU cannot get what he wants if we get an extended playoff run.

In my scenario which choice did you prefer?

Also I would refer you to the KL to NY thread for further context.
                  I'm not pushing for Lowry to be traded. I said in both replies to you that I would be fine with Lowry being re-signed (at a reasonable price, of course).

All I'm saying if that MU believes that Lowry has no desire to come back, it would be better (from a purely asset management perspective) to trade him, rather than lose him for nothing.

If the team was a legitimate championship contender, then keep him and worry about him leaving in the offseason. This team is not a real contender, so putting a first or possibly 2nd round playoff run together in an historically awful EC, should not be a priority over long-term team-building at this point.

Playoff experience would be good for a young team, but only if that team is going to grow and develop together. Gaining playoff experience for a team driven by Lowry, only to see Lowry leave for nothing, doesn't seem overly important to me in the long run. To me, gaining an asset(s) in return via trade, would be far more beneficial for the franchise over the long-term.
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jan 16, 2014, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Not very often do I miss two Raps games in a row. Is this one even worth downloading?
                    If you want to see the Jared Sullinger show .....
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

No.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• good old Raps...
                        No new friends (c)

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Sorry, I had missed this first reply of yours. I'm not sure why you responded to my post twice, several hours apart, with increasing hostility.

I totally get what you're saying about playoff experience being valuable to a team, but that's really only if the team stays together. It's not efficient asset management or team-building, if the team is broken up, especially when the engine that drives the team (Lowry) is the piece that is removed (by walking away as a free agent). My whole point was that all the potential benefits of a relatively successful season would be completely undone, if Lowry walks for nothing in return in the offseason.

I have no idea what you're talking about when you say "hope you read the entire thread and it's context". I simply responded to a short message you posted here in the game thread, saying something along the lines of "if the Raptors lose in the conference finals and Lowry leaves as a free agent, I'd be ok with that". I was just asking why you'd be ok with that, because it would seem like the worst possible outcome for this season to me. They would have missed a chance to rebuild/retool and **** ahead of the draft, only to be forced into a rebuild/retool by watching Lowry walk for no return... am I missing something?

If this team proves that the post-Gay improvements and success are for real and they continue to improve, I'd be fine with Lowry being re-signed at a reasonable salary. I just don't get how a season in which the team doesn't win the championship, doesn't take advantage of the loaded draft and lets Lowry leave without getting any sort of return, can be considered a good season. You said you'd be fine with that and I just asked you why, because I can't fathom the logic behind being fine with that and was honestly just trying to understand where you're coming from.
                          If Raps can extend Lowry but price is high say 10m per year what would you do if you were GM? This is not an unrealistic scenario.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                            If Raps can extend Lowry but price is high say 10m per year what would you do if you were GM? This is not an unrealistic scenario.
                            It's an impossible scenario. If they extend him (ie lock him up BEFORE he hits free agency) they are limited to offering 7M per year. They can re-sign him for 10M, but not extend him. But doing that risks him walking for nothing.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              It's an impossible scenario. If they extend him (ie lock him up BEFORE he hits free agency) they are limited to offering 7M per year. They can re-sign him for 10M, but not extend him. But doing that risks him walking for nothing.
                              Fair enough. My point was extending him now versus waiting and seeing .

Comment

Working...
                              X