Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking ahead: what position(s) needs upgrading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torch19 wrote: View Post
    PG needs upgrade in terms of attacking the rim. Kyle lacks size but he compensates with all out hustle. No complains for now but the older he gets, the more evident his lack of size will be.
    This is a diamond in the rough. KL is going to decline hard. He should be good for a 4 year contract tho, with maybe the last year we see a glimpse of the decline on occasion.

Comment

To me it has to be the SF spot. You can get away with DD and Ross on the wing during the regular season, but two guys named James and George are standing between the Raps and any meaningful success. Kinda tough to be considered a contender when that matchup alone would likely mean an easy series win for either the Pacers or Heat.

Comment

Bk-up guard positions, obviously. I think we have the option to not pick up Salmons. And Vasquez is a poor man's Calderon who was a poor man's something else.

Comment

i think amir isn't getting the credit he deserves. with high scoring guards, amir does a lot of the dirty work as well as shooting at a high percentage.
          in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            SF. DD gone, Ross to the 2, new guy at the 3.
            So effortlessly expressed, I agree.

But then again, depends on the situation with Lowry I suppose.

Comment

So we can conclude that the 2 spot is the position that doesn't need an upgrade?

Comment

Initially, backup PG and a real backup 5. Eventually a real SF so that one of Ross or Demar can go to the bench OR is traded. I'm curious to see what double Pat becomes before fixing the 4.

Comment

I think we should give Vasquez more time. He did average 34 mpg in 78 games: 43% FG - 34% 3pt - 80% FT - 4.3 rpg - 9.0 apg - 13.9 ppg - 3.2 to

Thats a pretty good 2652 minutes. It is much more than the mythical 13 games that kept hope in Primo. Vasquez could actually emerge to really bolster our backup PG spot.

Saying that, I think the backup PG spot is not of urgency.

But honestly, I don't think much of our lineup is urgent need of changing.. I think it all just needs to develop. Jonas is not much of a positive so far, wait until he contributes consistently. Ross is showing flashes of what he could be, but he isnt there yet. Demar is still refining. I think if we want to go over the top, we need to get a Kevin Love type at the PF. Amir would anchor the bench behind Jonas and Love.

So my answer is PF.
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

BTW, Jonas is the starting anchor at C for the 5th best defence in the league. For someone so young, becoming a defensive presence first is what I value much more highly than a refined offence. Watch for Jonas to become a great two-way player as he matures.
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I like how Amir played last night. I think he defended Love quite well, especially considering he had to chase Love all over the court and defend the perimeter. It was like a statement game for Amir, fans want to bring this guy in to replace me, well I'll show you what I can do!! Good job Amir!!

Comment

Truth is, pretty much none of the starting five have shown that they should be kept if something better comes along. I would say that Ross has shown the biggest one year improvement, since he was so shit last year. If he improves as much next year he is a keeper. JV has improved, and if he shows the same level of improvement next year, he is a keeper. Lowry...nuff said. With DeMar, it's consistency. He has had spells of 6-8 games where he has looked like a world beater, then he regresses. Amir seems the most consistent, barring the previous stretch of games when he was dealing with something. And his numbers are adequate for a starting 4.

Maybe you look to seriously upgrade the bench...get the guys at the 6th, 7th and 8th spots in the rotation to be significantly better. Even in the ano team can play the starting 5 for 48 minutes for 7 games. It might be easier and cheaper to upgrade the next 3 or 4 spots on the bench. Instead of giving max money to a couple of starters, spread that 10-12 million/year shoring up the bench positions.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                          Truth is, pretty much none of the starting five have shown that they should be kept if something better comes along. I would say that Ross has shown the biggest one year improvement, since he was so shit last year. If he improves as much next year he is a keeper. JV has improved, and if he shows the same level of improvement next year, he is a keeper. Lowry...nuff said. With DeMar, it's consistency. He has had spells of 6-8 games where he has looked like a world beater, then he regresses. Amir seems the most consistent, barring the previous stretch of games when he was dealing with something. And his numbers are adequate for a starting 4.

Maybe you look to seriously upgrade the bench...get the guys at the 6th, 7th and 8th spots in the rotation to be significantly better. Even in the ano team can play the starting 5 for 48 minutes for 7 games. It might be easier and cheaper to upgrade the next 3 or 4 spots on the bench. Instead of giving max money to a couple of starters, spread that 10-12 million/year shoring up the bench positions.
                          Well said, and great point actually that maybe it is more worth looking at how to upgrade your bench instead of starting 5 as they have proved already that they can hold their own against any NBA team. Cheaper and wiser.
                          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            BTW, Jonas is the starting anchor at C for the 5th best defence in the league. For someone so young, becoming a defensive presence first is what I value much more highly than a refined offence. Watch for Jonas to become a great two-way player as he matures.
                            except he is not the anchor, Amir is.

I think Jonas has a future in the NBA, will improve, and will be a highly productive player, offensively and defensively - but right now he is the worst defender not only in the starting line up, but also of all those who play regular minutes.

Right now this defense is very good despite him, but not with him or because of him.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                              except he is not the anchor, Amir is.

I think Jonas has a future in the NBA, will improve, and will be a highly productive player, offensively and defensively - but right now he is the worst defender not only in the starting line up, but also of all those who play regular minutes.

Right now this defense is very good despite him, but not with him or because of him.
                              Well Pek had only six rebounds last game. Give him at LEAST small props, because naming him THE WORST DEFENDER doesn't make you look reasonable.
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                                Well Pek had only six rebounds last game. Give him at LEAST small props, because naming him THE WORST DEFENDER doesn't make you look reasonable.
                                why is me thinking him being the worst defender of those who play regular minutes on this team make me "not look reasonable"?

Comment

Working...
                                X