Solutions to backup PG spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solutions to backup PG spot

As many of you know when Lowry steps off the court and Vasquez steps on, our offense is streaky and our defense is garbage. I have been trying to think of some possible solutions lately and here is what I have come up with:

1) Casey must bring Vasquez in the First Quarter: It's been a shock to me that there has been such a drop off in numbers and efficiency and it is not because of less minutes. I think maybe he sits for too long and takes too long to get himself back into the game after sitting for so long. He must get used to his role but maybe if Lowry played the first nine and Vasquez finished the quarter and started the second that might help maybe?

2) Try Fields as the backup: I might get a lot of fire for this but hear me out. Against Milwaukee he came in for the last three shameful minutes and played the point. He was running pick and rolls and being effective with them hitting Novak for a nice corner three. He is faster and a better defender than Vasquez and maybe a better ball handler which is embarrassing for Vasquez. He also has a higher basketball IQ and less chance of seeing the you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me turnover. He fits better with the defensive identity and maybe he can get a little confidence out of it.

3) Trade Vasquez: This one is pretty self explanatory but maybe we could target someone like Andre Miller. He is still fairly effective and would seriously help this second unit come playoff time. He will probably play for maybe one more season but he should be good for this year and we can target a backup PG in the draft.

What do you guys think is the best solution?
    Last edited by JRedmond14; Thu Jan 16, 2014, 11:29 PM.

I think we could try all your solutions, and in the order you listed!!

Comment

at this point i dont know how fields could possibly do any worse than vasquez as a pg. you know fields at least won't jack up 3's. at least fields can finish at the rim better than vasquez, who keeps doing these god awful layups where the ball looks like its practically going to go over the backboard.

Comment

Fileds is the man. He loves Toronto and is all hustle and has a high BB IQ. He can totally do the job.

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
          Fileds is the man. He loves Toronto and is all hustle and has a high BB IQ. He can totally do the job.
          Yah I am a big fan of Fields. Sad to see his jumper the way it is and I really do hope his nerves repair.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
            at this point i dont know how fields could possibly do any worse than vasquez as a pg. you know fields at least won't jack up 3's. at least fields can finish at the rim better than vasquez, who keeps doing these god awful layups where the ball looks like its practically going to go over the backboard.
            Fields is the better passer and way better defender and they both can't shoot but at least fields can finish at the rim , Yeah id rather have fields be the backup PG
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Fields is only good for point for a really small stretch.
              Teams will sag off of him, and disrespect his non-existant jump shot.
              Sure, he can finish at the rim and has decent handles, but he's not a scorer at all, and he isn't as good as a shot creator as you think he is.
              I like Fields defense, but until he gets even a mid-range shot, then it's pointless to play him meaningful minutes.
              You would have to put 4 other scorers to make up for the void created by Fields

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
                Fields is only good for point for a really small stretch.
                Teams will sag off of him, and disrespect his non-existant jump shot.
                Sure, he can finish at the rim and has decent handles, but he's not a scorer at all, and he isn't as good as a shot creator as you think he is.
                I like Fields defense, but until he gets even a mid-range shot, then it's pointless to play him meaningful minutes.
                You would have to put 4 other scorers to make up for the void created by Fields
                Who says he's supposed to be a scorer? We're comparing him to Vasquez, not Russell Westbrook. Obviously he's not a long term PG solution. What's with new posters that can't seem to read in context?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

I like the idea of giving Fields backup PG minutes. He's shown he can run a team, and it's an excuse to get him out there. Might as well make use of that $12+ million we're throwing at him.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Solutions to backup PG spot

Who says he's supposed to be a scorer? We're comparing him to Vasquez, not Russell Westbrook. Obviously he's not a long term PG solution. What's with new posters that can't seem to read in context?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                    He has a point though. Vasquez at least commands respect on the perimeter because he occasionally makes a 3. But if you put in a PG who can't shoot past 4 feet, his man is probably going to leave him open on the perimeter and go double DD or Ross, or someone who can shoot.

I'm all for putting Fields at the 1, but he brings up a good point
                    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                      He has a point though. Vasquez at least commands respect on the perimeter because he occasionally makes a 3. But if you put in a PG who can't shoot past 4 feet, his man is probably going to leave him open on the perimeter and go double DD or Ross, or someone who can shoot.

I'm all for putting Fields at the 1, but he brings up a good point
                      do you seriously think anyone in the league respects vasquez's 3 point shot? he can get streaky, but overall his 3point shot is barely any better than derozans, and we know where he is at that. i'd rather fields constant defense vs vasquez random streaky scoring that generally also leads to a lot of extra hero ball, turnovers and shitty layup attempts.

Comment

do you seriously think anyone in the league respects vasquez's 3 point shot? he can get streaky, but overall his 3point shot is barely any better than derozans, and we know where he is at that. i'd rather fields constant defense vs vasquez random streaky scoring that generally also leads to a lot of extra hero ball, turnovers and shitty layup attempts.
                        I'm not saying the dude is Kyle Korver. But he scores enough to warrant a defender on the perimeter. Whereas fields, if he doesn't start making shots, is basically a 4 year old child (shooting wise).
                        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

I'm not saying the dude is Kyle Korver. But he scores enough to warrant a defender on the perimeter. Whereas fields, if he doesn't start making shots, is basically a 4 year old child (shooting wise).
                          thats fine with me. we dont need fields to be a scorer. the only real benefit to vasquez on the floor is his supposed ability to find other players and rack up assists like hes supposed to. hes not doing that. instead hes a huge liability on defense and i'd rather have pretty much anyone else shoot the ball besides vasquez. this season so far, fields actually has a better fg% playing 22 games vs vasquez who has now played 17 with us. thats pretty sad for vasquez.

Comment

Its not like Fields is going to stand at the top of the three point line and nobody is going to be moving on offense. Right now Vasquez plays a pick and roll heavy offense. Rarely does he pull up for a mid range jumper and his floater game is worse than Chuck Hayes. If Fields were to play that offense, you would still have to respect the drive. Vasquez also struggles with running anything other than a pick and roll (maybe that's comfort-ability?). Fields is also a much better defender than Vasquez. Fields would not let an old guy like Pierce to blow by him 5 times in a row. Not everyone has to be a 3 point threat. The question is now are Fields other qualities enough to make up for his broken jumper?

Comment

JRedmond14 wrote: View Post
                              Its not like Fields is going to stand at the top of the three point line and nobody is going to be moving on offense. Right now Vasquez plays a pick and roll heavy offense. Rarely does he pull up for a mid range jumper and his floater game is worse than Chuck Hayes. If Fields were to play that offense, you would still have to respect the drive. Vasquez also struggles with running anything other than a pick and roll (maybe that's comfort-ability?). Fields is also a much better defender than Vasquez. Fields would not let an old guy like Pierce to blow by him 5 times in a row. Not everyone has to be a 3 point threat. The question is now are Fields other qualities enough to make up for his broken jumper?
                              I'm not arguing, I think fields would make a great backup. I'm just trying to clarify what dude was saying, which is a pretty valid concern

Comment

Working...
                              X