DeRozan or Stephenson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeRozan or Stephenson

Something that's been on my mind for a bit. If it were down to picking one last player on the East Allstar squad and for some reason the only two candidates left to pick were either Lance Stephenson or DeMar DeRozan, who would you pick?

Thought it'd be interesting to post this on a Raptors forum and see what raptors fans decide on. Whether you decide your pick with bias or not, I think it's really tough to choose between these two because both of them have made large leaps in terms of on court production and overall improvement.
    DeMar Derozan
    48.57%
    Lance Stephenson
    51.43%

Tough call in a vacuum.

If George and Lowry are both selected, as the only reps from each team, I could see Stephenson getting the nod.

If Hibbert is also selected, that would make it a tough call. We talk about team quality and record when comparing DeRozan to Afflalo, so I could see a strong extra argument for Stephenson.

If Lowry isn't already selected, I think DeRozan would get the call hands down. Even though the EC is weak, I think Toronto would demand respect and representation as the 3rd or 4th seed.

Tough call between these two and Afflalo, straight-up, without taking other variables into account.

Comment

The raptors fan in me picks demar.

The unbiased version of me picks lance. There's almost no contest. Stephenson excels at pretty much everything compared to demar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

I think Both will get in but im sure if the coaches had to decide between them Stephenson would get the selection even though DeRozan deserves it as well
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

If Hibbert is also selected, that would make it a tough call. We talk about team quality and record when comparing DeRozan to Afflalo,

i hate that this is an if. the new "big men" instead of positions thing still bothers me. doesn't eliminating the center position from the all-star game encourage more big men to not learn how to play like big men.

also if the decision comes down the demar or stevenson, i would give stevenson the nod.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
            i hate that this is an if. the new "big men" instead of positions thing still bothers me. doesn't eliminating the center position from the all-star game encourage more big men to not learn how to play like big men.

also if the decision comes down the demar or stevenson, i would give stevenson the nod.
            I don't think there's any chance that Hibbert doesn't get picked anyway. Not only I think coaches will pick him, I think he's probably going to get more coach votes than anyone else this year.

But that still leaves the question, what about Lowry. If Lowry doesn't get it, DeMar has to get it. But if Lowry gets it, then it's really tough.

These are my all star guards:
            Wade
            Kyrie (only because fans selected him)
            Lowry
            Wall
            And then if there's one more spot, eeny meeny miny moe between Afflalo, DeMar and Lance.

Comment

Stephenson has been consistently better than Demar this season. If Demar's recent streak had been all season, then it's likely a different conversation.

Stephenson is a better play-maker (Assists per game and %), rebounder (per game and %), and has much higher shooting %s (50% FG, 36% 3PT, 57% TS% compared to DD 42%/29%/51%). Add to the fact that Stephenson is an elite perimeter defender and plays on one of the top 5 teams in the NBA and it's no question that he deserves the spot over Demar.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                The raptors fan in me picks demar.

The unbiased version of me picks lance. There's almost no contest. Stephenson excels at pretty much everything compared to demar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                I heard a lot of similar talk about Gordon Hayward in the preseason, and he's been shitting the bed as a lead guy. I think a lot of these tier 2 guys get the grass-is-greener attraction from our fans. If forced to play Demar's role, surrounded by our team, Lance would look nowhere near as good as he does now.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  I heard a lot of similar talk about Gordon Hayward in the preseason, and he's been shitting the bed as a lead guy. I think a lot of these tier 2 guys get the grass-is-greener attraction from our fans. If forced to play Demar's role, surrounded by our team, Lance would look nowhere near as good as he does now.
                  I agree. Lance has a really nice all-around game, he contributes all over the floor, but I don't think he could replicate Demars scoring as consistently if he had a similar role as Demar, at least not at this point in his career.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                    Doesn't eliminating the center position from the all-star game encourage more big men to not learn how to play like big men?
                    Ummmm, no...
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                      Agreed he is pretty much Michael Beasley at the 2. A bonehead who is surrounded by the right environment. Demar is all star quality and Lance is a solid role player right now. No brainer here .... DEMAR DEROZAN.

Also: T-Ross for slam dunk and 3-point contest???

Comment

Demar's a much better scorer, tho Lance averages more rebounds, assists and is the fifth option on that team. His stats this year are actually pretty impressive when you take that into account. He's also a much better defender. I think he leads the league in triple doubles too?

That said, I think Demar should be in over Lance. He's a big reason why the raps are on the upswing.

I don't really think either will make it though. Lowry probably will.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Dont be so disrespectful here people DeMAr is better than Lance.... Put Lance in DeMar's current situation he will be terrible. Put DeMar on Indiana beside 2 guys that draw doubles in George David West and Hibbert and he would kill it.

I cant believe this is a thread so offensive. The guy gets easy looks on the against the worst defenders every game.

Comment

Stephenson.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              Demar's a much better scorer, tho Lance averages more rebounds, assists and is the fifth option on that team. His stats this year are actually pretty impressive when you take that into account. He's also a much better defender. I think he leads the league in triple doubles too?

That said, I think Demar should be in over Lance. He's a big reason why the raps are on the upswing.

I don't really think either will make it though. Lowry probably will.
                              Lance is 3rd in total FGA on the Pacers this year and is only 0.1 less per game than 2nd on the team. Not sure the 5th option label really applies. Fact is, the dude has produced on offence with efficient scoring and play-making and plays great D.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X