No announcement yet.

Pau Gasol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not like Monroe and JV as a front court pairing. Would much rather keep the Amir/2pat combo.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
      I do not like Monroe and JV as a front court pairing. Would much rather keep the Amir/2pat combo.
      I'd want to keep 2Pat off the bench since he stretches the floor and provides a very different look than Amir/Monroe. If Detroit is dead in the water at the deadline and the Raps are still rolling, I could see an Amir + protected future 1st for Monroe. Not sure if thats the best offer Detroit would get for Monroe, but I think it would be reasonable from our end. Monroe would give us a consistent scoring option down low, which is pretty much the missing piece from this team. I'm sure Casey could improve upon Monroe's defense. He has all the physical tools, he just needs to work on where he needs to be at all times on D. I think we could resign Monroe to a deal like Minnesota gave to Pekovic, which seems reasonable to me.

I trust in Masai but I would not be upset at all if we acquired Monroe. I like him a lot and think his defensive shortcomings are overblown and could be fixed with some good coaching.

Comment

2kfeen;279190[B wrote:
        ]Monroe wants the max contract[/B], and a team is going to offer it to him. Probably the Lakers, who got a void @ C, and cap space this summer.

Sure, Detroit can sign Drummond and Monroe to max deals. That would have them capped out for a talented core of Josh Smith, Monroe, Drummond that simply doesn't work out together.

I see Monroe walking at the highest offer (he's already going to test the market) or being traded at the deadline. I can see a first rounder and either Patrick Patterson/Amir Johnson going to the Pistons.
        If Pekovic could only get $12M per year (and no offers from other teams despite several with space needing a center), then I don't see how Monroe is going to get more than that, let alone max money. Teams are scared of trying to sign away RFA, the Pekovic situation is a perfect example. Of course LA will have cap space so that might throw a wrench in the gears. They are as desperate a team as I've ever seen.

Comment

Nice game by Gasol ...

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
            If Pekovic could only get $12M per year (and no offers from other teams despite several with space needing a center), then I don't see how Monroe is going to get more than that, let alone max money. Teams are scared of trying to sign away RFA, the Pekovic situation is a perfect example. Of course LA will have cap space so that might throw a wrench in the gears. They are as desperate a team as I've ever seen.
            Pekovic had a lot of health problems every year, which I imagine scared teams away. He was also much older (i.e. limited upside). Monroe is still very young and healthy.

I wouldn't want the Raptors to be the team that pays him, he's not showing enough improvement in his shooting for me to think that he will fit next to Jonas one day.

But i won't be surprised if some team pays him a lot, even max.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              The Lakers are an interesting team... I think the loss of Dr. Buss really hurt them. The extension to Kobe was really puzzling especially at his dollar figure.. heck the guy was still injured when they gave him that extension. So they've lost a lot of their flexibility with that move. In the past a star player would sign with LA as it would be a no brainer typically but with Howard left in free agency.. that never happens. Maybe that's a sign that other free agents would question whether LA is the right choice for them too?

I don't know what LA is going to do but I would think that if Gasol leaves in free agency and they don't get anything in return they might struggle to get a top tier talent via free agency. Who would want to play with a broken down Kobe and a 40+ year old point guard? There is not really much in that team to get them from lottery to champions. And most top free agents would want to win (at least that's what I would expect out of them).
              I think the lure of the Lakers, being able to play for a storied franchise, in a major market, warm climate, at least warm for the most part really appeals to most players. I think unless they get some useful pieces - not just crap contract(s), they'll be happy to jettison Gasol, but it has to make sense, and something that doesn't hamper them long term. I think the idea of cap space this summer to chase a Carmelo or Lebron appeals to them.

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
                What other max contract guys, other than K-Love and Monroe, are attainable?
                You got to understand that in our current situation, it is very hard to get a superstar piece.

Drafting a superstar would require high lottery picks.
                Again, we are not a free agent hub like LA, NY so not too many players would wish to commute to another country, where their family, friends etc dont live.

Greg Monroe is one of the premier post player, can pass out of the post, has a mid-range shot and can get steals. His defense is questionable, but he would pair up nicely beside Big V. Plus, it won't take too much to get him, considering how much big men are valued in this league. And he is still young too

The reality is, we can't expect to get a Kevin Love, Durant, Lebron game changer. We have to settle for guys like Monroe.
                I wouldn't want to "settle" for a guy like Monroe. Is he a good player? Absolutely, but do I want to back up the Brinks truck to his place? No way. For the amount of money Monroe will command, I could have Patterson AND Amir. If we can't attract a bonafied star here, I would prefer to keep that cap space and flexibility instead of tying up cap room in a player who is good, but not great.

Comment

20 points, 19 rebounds, 5 blocks, 3 steals.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                    Unless some team out there is going to give a first round pick (s) or a star for Gasol, the Lakers would as just rather see him leave for nothing. They don't want any added salary because they would want as much cap space as possible to go after a star in FA this summer. From their vantagepoint, it's not terrible managment at all.
                    Totally agree with this. Gasol wouldn't be around when the Raps are ready, so why give away a 1st, etc.? This shouldn't be a quick fix moment.

Comment

Old thread, but, was just reading some threads on RealGM about Pau, and a lot of people think he'd be a good fit in Toronto, lol.

Surprising, but, now that we've gone another 2-Months from when this thread was alive, opinions?

Comment

agreed, he still putting up good numbers and if JV is our future cornerstone, he would make a good mentor for JV

guess who's going to be Val's new roommate!?!?!?!?!?

Comment

I'd personally prefer to get Blake Griffin over Paul Gasol if we're going after a big man to mentor Jonas, also Blake Griffin has developed like Jonas Valanciunas needs to, by that I mean his jumper is good now, Jonas still needs to improve that.

Comment

NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post
                            I'd personally prefer to get Blake Griffin over Paul Gasol if we're going after a big man to mentor Jonas, also Blake Griffin has developed like Jonas Valanciunas needs to, by that I mean his jumper is good now, Jonas still needs to improve that.

Comment

NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post
                              totally agree with you bud

also why not get Michael Jordan circa 1996 to mentor DeRozan

Comment

Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
                                agreed, he still putting up good numbers and if JV is our future cornerstone, he would make a good mentor for JV

guess who's going to be Val's new roommate!?!?!?!?!?
                                This is what i'm thinking still to be honest, I feel like he could be valuable.

Though, brings to issue of cap-space, and how are we going to attract one more big name FA to make a big push before Gasol deteriorates even more.

Comment

Working...
                                X