Leiweke the "Headhunter"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    So let me get this straight. You're telling me he wants a challenge but only when it doesn't have to do with the whole objective of the game?

Jordan didn't bail on the Bulls and team up with Ewing and Wilkins. No, he had to win it on his own team and punish those guys for ever even imagining they had an outside change at beating his team. Jordan tomahawked all challenges and got bored. Theres big difference between James and Jordan. Jordan never kicked sand in his fans' face, no that sand was reserved for punks on the other end of the floor.
    This tangent again...

I'm no fan of "The Decision" - not at all.

But

Jordan/Bird/Magic etc. played in a critically different era - they were not in our current overexpanded version of the NBA, where the talent is much more diluted. Every player LeBron is compared to played with multiple HoFers - not just All-Stars, but all-time greats. LeBron's roster in Cleveland was such a steaming pile of **** that after he left they went straight into the lottery. Title contenders with him, lottery team without him. Jordan left the Bulls to play baseball and led by Pippin (HoFer) and HoF coach, they won 50 games and made it to the second round. James had Mike Brown and Mo Williams. There's just no comparison.

So for me the argument enters speculation. What would Jordan have done if the Bulls had given him crap teammates that would peak with Mo Williams? Damn, but we know - he would explode. He exploded on Bulls management for drafting Toni Kukoc, for crying out loud. Michael Jordan would not have stayed in Cleveland, in that situation, to sign a 3rd contract just so he could prove that he could "win it on his own."

Talk about the collusion and The Decision, but I don't think you can compare LeBron's situation to his all-time-great predecessors.

Just my 2 cents.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Leiweke on the fan tomorrow

For those who care to listen, TL and the three mlse gms (Masai included) will be on the fan from 5-6 tomorrow. The last time I heard mccowan talk basketball, he was saying how butch carter firmly believed tdot was on a short list of options for lbj next year. Maybe it will come up.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
        For those who care to listen, TL and the three mlse gms (Masai included) will be on the fan from 5-6 tomorrow. The last time I heard mccowan talk basketball, he was saying how butch carter firmly believed tdot was on a short list of options for lbj next year. Maybe it will come up.
        I wonder if Miami winning a 3rd title this year would help or hurt Lebron's chances of opting out.

On the one hand, a 3rd ring with the same team....perhaps boredom would set in and Lebron would look for a new challenge.

On the other hand, maybe losing in the finals gives Lebron the impression that Miami's window has closed, and again, he looks elsewhere for a new challenge.

We could spin it either way.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I wonder if Miami winning a 3rd title this year would help or hurt Lebron's chances of opting out.

On the one hand, a 3rd ring with the same team....perhaps boredom would set in and Lebron would look for a new challenge.

On the other hand, maybe losing in the finals gives Lebron the impression that Miami's window has closed, and again, he looks elsewhere for a new challenge.

We could spin it either way.
          I think not winning this year could lead him down the path of opting out. Winning would give him hope that there is still an opportunity to compete for championships, but losing this season confirms that Miami's window has closed (or, at least, narrowed substantially).

Comment

DaBlenda wrote: View Post
            Can we trade Drake for LeBron?
            We can even package him in the 'raptor Cage (for sale on ebay) for easy overnight delivery:
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JURASSIC-P...-/390756055657

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
              LOL definitely the first time "Argos" and "empire" were used in the same comment.
              The Argos acquisition isn't about only the Argos. The NFL has said they won't allow an NFL team in Toronto until they are assured that the Argos can survive and that the CFL in general will survive.

Bringing the Argos under the MLSE umbrella will bring sustainability to the team which could POTENTIALLY lead to an NFL team at some.point in Toronto. The NFL has expressed interest in going international and Toronto makes sense to be at the top of the list if they decide to.

From that standpoint, yes MLSE is trying to build an empire and yes the Argos would play a factor in that.
              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
              Because its 2015

Comment

Well, if MLSE bought the Argos then maybe they would also be the best option for an NFL team as well because then there would be no question of conflict and the Argos could probably play in the nice new arena they'd build for the NFL team.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, if MLSE bought the Argos then maybe they would also be the best option for an NFL team as well because then there would be no question of conflict and the Argos could probably play in the nice new arena they'd build for the NFL team.

I thought the stipulation for an NFL team was that it could not be owned by a corporate entity but had to be owned by one single owner so that the owner could attend their annual owners meeting. Unless the NFL has (or will) change their stance on that, I can't see MLSE owning an NFL team.

Comment

After just listening to the 50 minute segment with TL & the 3 MLSE GMs on Fan590, I get the impression that the NFL is as much a motivator behind a potential purchase of the Argos as any other factor. Yes, it would allow MLSE to maximize the benefits of an upgraded stadium that is shared between TFC/Argos, but I got the distinct impression that acquiring a CFL team was a stepping-stone to landing a Toronto-based NFL franchise. No doubt about it.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      I thought the stipulation for an NFL team was that it could not be owned by a corporate entity but had to be owned by one single owner so that the owner could attend their annual owners meeting. Unless the NFL has (or will) change their stance on that, I can't see MLSE owning an NFL team.
                      The Packers are owned by most of the city of Greenbay. They issued stocks only a year or so ago...

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        After just listening to the 50 minute segment with TL & the 3 MLSE GMs on Fan590, I get the impression that the NFL is as much a motivator behind a potential purchase of the Argos as any other factor. Yes, it would allow MLSE to maximize the benefits of an upgraded stadium that is shared between TFC/Argos, but I got the distinct impression that acquiring a CFL team was a stepping-stone to landing a Toronto-based NFL franchise. No doubt about it.
                        I listened to it too and I agree 100%. Just look at what Leiweke did with AEG this guys the real deal.
                        Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                          I listened to it too and I agree 100%. Just look at what Leiweke did with AEG this guys the real deal.
                          I loved all the talk about shared philosophy and discussing common strategies/tactics (ie: cap management, recruiting, etc) across the sports. The last little bit with TL talking about the recruitment process of Defoe caused shivers!

The early part where he bashed an unnamed rep from an unnamed team *cough* BC *cough* was priceless too! Excuses, excuses, excuses, to go along with a loser-mentality.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            I loved all the talk about shared philosophy and discussing common strategies/tactics (ie: cap management, recruiting, etc) across the sports. The last little bit with TL talking about the recruitment process of Defoe caused shivers!

The early part where he bashed an unnamed rep from an unnamed team *cough* BC *cough* was priceless too! Excuses, excuses, excuses, to go along with a loser-mentality.
                            It was really interesting, McCowan ran a good interview. Ya the BC bash was awesome haha. I just wish MLSE was publicly traded...
                            Because its 2015

Comment

The Packers are owner by most of the city of Greenbay. They issued stocks only a year or so ago...

Yeah I know, but they are community owned not privately owned by a corporation, and are the only exception to the rule.

Here is an article I found (kind of old, but only thing I found with some quick google searches) that references what I'm talking about:
                              http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=3485962

Comment

No, it's the same thing. MLSE is owned by corporations which have shareholders. The Packers are owned by a corporation which has shareholders.

They aren't an exception to a rule but they are different from the other teams. That of course means nothing and that matters is that the rules allow a corporation to own a team and the only case of it happens to be the most successful team in league history.

Comment

Working...
                                X