X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    No, it's the same thing. MLSE is owned by corporations which have shareholders. The Packers are owned by a corporation which has shareholders.

They aren't an exception to a rule but they are different from the other teams. That of course means nothing and that matters is that the rules allow a corporation to own a team and the only case of it happens to be the most successful team in league history.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
    I'm no football guy, so don't quote me, but I believe the NFL has changed their stance on this since Greenbay, but allowed GB to grandfather their ownership model.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    No, it's the same thing. MLSE is owned by corporations which have shareholders. The Packers are owned by a corporation which has shareholders.

They aren't an exception to a rule but they are different from the other teams. That of course means nothing and that matters is that the rules allow a corporation to own a team and the only case of it happens to be the most successful team in league history.

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonvi...-nfl-team.html

One person has to be a controlling partner. They must own at least 30 percent and have a complete say in the business. The NFL doesn’t want an owner to have to confer with his/her partners to make a team decision.
    If Bell (or Rogers) sells their stakes to someone like Tanenbaum then they have a shot.. otherwise I don't see it happening.

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    I thought the stipulation for an NFL team was that it could not be owned by a corporate entity but had to be owned by one single owner so that the owner could attend their annual owners meeting. Unless the NFL has (or will) change their stance on that, I can't see MLSE owning an NFL team.
    That's where Jon Bon Jovi comes along in a blaze of glory.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    The Packers are owner by most of the city of Greenbay. They issued stocks only a year or so ago...

Yeah I know, but they are community owned not privately owned by a corporation, and are the only exception to the rule.

Here is an article I found (kind of old, but only thing I found with some quick google searches) that references what I'm talking about:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=3485962

Leave a comment:

• Uncle_Si
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I loved all the talk about shared philosophy and discussing common strategies/tactics (ie: cap management, recruiting, etc) across the sports. The last little bit with TL talking about the recruitment process of Defoe caused shivers!

The early part where he bashed an unnamed rep from an unnamed team *cough* BC *cough* was priceless too! Excuses, excuses, excuses, to go along with a loser-mentality.
    It was really interesting, McCowan ran a good interview. Ya the BC bash was awesome haha. I just wish MLSE was publicly traded...

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    I listened to it too and I agree 100%. Just look at what Leiweke did with AEG this guys the real deal.
    I loved all the talk about shared philosophy and discussing common strategies/tactics (ie: cap management, recruiting, etc) across the sports. The last little bit with TL talking about the recruitment process of Defoe caused shivers!

The early part where he bashed an unnamed rep from an unnamed team *cough* BC *cough* was priceless too! Excuses, excuses, excuses, to go along with a loser-mentality.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle_Si
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    After just listening to the 50 minute segment with TL & the 3 MLSE GMs on Fan590, I get the impression that the NFL is as much a motivator behind a potential purchase of the Argos as any other factor. Yes, it would allow MLSE to maximize the benefits of an upgraded stadium that is shared between TFC/Argos, but I got the distinct impression that acquiring a CFL team was a stepping-stone to landing a Toronto-based NFL franchise. No doubt about it.
    I listened to it too and I agree 100%. Just look at what Leiweke did with AEG this guys the real deal.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    I thought the stipulation for an NFL team was that it could not be owned by a corporate entity but had to be owned by one single owner so that the owner could attend their annual owners meeting. Unless the NFL has (or will) change their stance on that, I can't see MLSE owning an NFL team.
    The Packers are owned by most of the city of Greenbay. They issued stocks only a year or so ago...

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Well, if MLSE bought the Argos then maybe they would also be the best option for an NFL team as well because then there would be no question of conflict and the Argos could probably play in the nice new arena they'd build for the NFL team.

After just listening to the 50 minute segment with TL & the 3 MLSE GMs on Fan590, I get the impression that the NFL is as much a motivator behind a potential purchase of the Argos as any other factor. Yes, it would allow MLSE to maximize the benefits of an upgraded stadium that is shared between TFC/Argos, but I got the distinct impression that acquiring a CFL team was a stepping-stone to landing a Toronto-based NFL franchise. No doubt about it.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Well, if MLSE bought the Argos then maybe they would also be the best option for an NFL team as well because then there would be no question of conflict and the Argos could probably play in the nice new arena they'd build for the NFL team.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Uncle_Si
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    LOL definitely the first time "Argos" and "empire" were used in the same comment.
    The Argos acquisition isn't about only the Argos. The NFL has said they won't allow an NFL team in Toronto until they are assured that the Argos can survive and that the CFL in general will survive.

Bringing the Argos under the MLSE umbrella will bring sustainability to the team which could POTENTIALLY lead to an NFL team at some.point in Toronto. The NFL has expressed interest in going international and Toronto makes sense to be at the top of the list if they decide to.

From that standpoint, yes MLSE is trying to build an empire and yes the Argos would play a factor in that.

Leave a comment:

• gametime
    replied
    DaBlenda wrote: View Post
    Can we trade Drake for LeBron?
    We can even package him in the 'raptor Cage (for sale on ebay) for easy overnight delivery:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JURASSIC-P...-/390756055657

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I wonder if Miami winning a 3rd title this year would help or hurt Lebron's chances of opting out.

On the one hand, a 3rd ring with the same team....perhaps boredom would set in and Lebron would look for a new challenge.

On the other hand, maybe losing in the finals gives Lebron the impression that Miami's window has closed, and again, he looks elsewhere for a new challenge.

We could spin it either way.
    I think not winning this year could lead him down the path of opting out. Winning would give him hope that there is still an opportunity to compete for championships, but losing this season confirms that Miami's window has closed (or, at least, narrowed substantially).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X