John Salmons and Amir Johnson's team options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendit wrote: View Post
    Vince is also a much better whiner and smirker. I experienced it first hand. Cuban loves him I hear...he should stay there.
    10 years ago maybe. I haven't heard anything but positive things for years.

Anyway, the poster said that Vince and Salmons bring similar things. My reply was that Vince is a much better player.

I don't really care about all the emotional scars and the whole 'lets bring Vince back or not' discussion. I'm more on the pragmatic side, I'd welcome anyone who wants to be here and helps the team. Besides, there's a different thread for that. I posted that reply because Salmons seemed way overrated there.

Comment

Bears wrote: View Post
      Good point. That said, remember the Raps have 4.5M of TPE to use (Gay trade), which allows them to exceed the cap space if needed. Now to your point, having cap space + plus TPE gives you more flexibility. On a side note, I'm not sure you can guarantee that you'll resign a player you just cut.
      That's true, no guarantees, but if he doesn't sign for a fraction of that 6 mil, he needs to go. He's not exactly a great irreplaceable player. Plenty of options as good / better than him. You cut him, get the cap space, try to get someone good, then if it doesn't work, a month later you look at all cheap options still on the table and I think there's a good chance that Salmons will still be there. If not, plenty of comparable players.

Keep in mind, that decision to cut Salmons has to be made before free agency starts. So this isn't a question of "lets look around at who wants to sign here, then maybe cut Salmons." You have to cut him before you look around. Either way, he's way overpaid, and there are bound to be plenty of better ways to use that cap space either in July or later, so I think it's an easy decision.
      Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sun Jan 26, 2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post

For example, if we could trade Salmons for Perkins plus a first-rounder (I know, Oklahoma never trades their first rounders), it wouldn't set us any further back next year, we could give Perk some backup C minutes, and in 2015 he comes off the books at the same time as most of our other undesirable contracts.
        Is this just a general example of the type of trade they could try and float for Salmons? OKC can still waive Perkins as part of the amnesty provision, which gives them better flexibility than 1 mil to waive Salmons and they get to keep their pick.

Comment

hyperdouche wrote: View Post
          Is this just a general example of the type of trade they could try and float for Salmons? OKC can still waive Perkins as part of the amnesty provision, which gives them better flexibility than 1 mil to waive Salmons and they get to keep their pick.
          But they actually have to pay Perkins $9.3m to walk away plus the cost of rookie

That might matter to ownership

Comment

I think you have to keep Amir because he's versatile and he gives effort, and he's a solid big man who can start if needed. You're not going to find a better starting 4 for anything near what Amir makes.

Salmons on the other hand... no. No, no, no. Keeping those kinds of contracts around is such an old Raptors move.

What you learn from Salmons is that you want a guy on the bench who can play the wing and also handle the ball, something the Raptors have lacked. You use that information to find a similar guy cheaper in free agency, or via trade. But as any team that has rewarded Salmons knows, eventually the bloom comes off that rose.
            You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

I think keeping Amir is still up in the air especially after the way Patterson has played. If we look at what we have next year PF wise, Patterson, Hansbrough, and Novak, wouldn't that be a solid enough PF rotation going forward for the team? I love Amir and all but his money would be better spent elsewhere. He might be a perfect trade chip come draft time to move up the draftboard. Paying 7 mil for the player we have seen the past stretch of games is not worth it in my opinion. If Amir turns it around playing more like the "game sealing rebound against Dallas" Amir, you pick up that option in a hurry.

Comment

Novak is a waste of 3+ million at this point.

I'm not a big Hansborough guy. He's fine if he's not your third big I guess.

Hayes will be around next year as well given his salary (over 6 mil) unless somebody wants his expiring contract in the summer.

In theory sure, the Raptors could spend that 7 million somewhere. But where? It really depends who else is back, what they do in the draft or via trade, and who is actually a free agent. If you renounce both Amir and Salmons, you have some cap room. But then you've opened up two rotation spots as well.
                You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

JRedmond14 wrote: View Post
                  I think keeping Amir is still up in the air especially after the way Patterson has played. If we look at what we have next year PF wise, Patterson, Hansbrough, and Novak, wouldn't that be a solid enough PF rotation going forward for the team? I love Amir and all but his money would be better spent elsewhere. He might be a perfect trade chip come draft time to move up the draftboard. Paying 7 mil for the player we have seen the past stretch of games is not worth it in my opinion. If Amir turns it around playing more like the "game sealing rebound against Dallas" Amir, you pick up that option in a hurry.
                  Maybe Amir gets traded, or not, who knows. I'm sure Ujiri would trade anyone if there's a good price.

But Amir won't be cut. You only save 2 mil by cutting him. So forget about 7 mil. The question is do you want Amir for 2 mil for 1 year? Even the most pessimistic answer would still be yes.

Comment

Tortacular wrote: View Post
                    Novak is a waste of 3+ million at this point.

I'm not a big Hansborough guy. He's fine if he's not your third big I guess.

Hayes will be around next year as well given his salary (over 6 mil) unless somebody wants his expiring contract in the summer.

In theory sure, the Raptors could spend that 7 million somewhere. But where? It really depends who else is back, what they do in the draft or via trade, and who is actually a free agent. If you renounce both Amir and Salmons, you have some cap room. But then you've opened up two rotation spots as well.
                    Novak was always a waste at that salary. Knicks. 4 years 15 mil for Novak. Colangelo would be an improvement for that franchise.

Comment

A guy that would be great if we could get him in place of Salmons is Francisco Garcia. Solid vet that can defend and space the floor. Richard Jefferson or Jason Richardson might be worth a look as well. Don't think it will be difficult to replace Salmons.

Comment

Working...
                      X