Marc Stein thinks Lowry is still being moved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Well, the quote was secondhand from the Nets commentators, so who knows exactly how he qualified the statement.

As for Bosh...

I've supported Lowry for a long time, but if he won't commit to an extension you can't risk him walking.
    Why would Lowry EVER want to sign an extention? That's literally throwing away a ton of money (he'd be massively underpaid) due to the CBA rules. Even if Lowry was fine with getting underpaid, it would still be stupid for him to sign an extention if he could get additional years on that same contract if he waited for the off season.

Lowry's the leader of this team and the team seems to be adapting his personality. He seems to genuinely love playing with his teammates. He seems to genuinely like his teammates and the Toronto fans (who have literally chanted MVP for him). Toronto literally the best situation for him and the only other team that you can argue would be a threat to pick him up would be the Lakers and even that would take them offering a huge contract and I just don't see them doing that given how much they already have committed to Kobe and Nash and them wanting to pursue Carmelo or Lebron.

I honestly like our chances of resigning Lowry and it would do absolute wonders for The Raptors reputation to be able keep the guy with our record of losing our best players.
    Last edited by Just Is; Wed Jan 29, 2014, 04:22 AM.
    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
      Why would Lowry EVER want to sign an extention? That's literally throwing away a ton of money (he'd be massively underpaid) due to the CBA rules. Even if Lowry was fine with getting underpaid, it would still be stupid for him to sign an extention if he could get additional years on that same contract if he waited for the off season.

Lowry's the leader of this team and the team seems to be adapting his personality. He seems to genuinely love playing with his teammates. He seems to genuinely like his teammates and the Toronto fans (who have literally chanted MVP for him). Toronto literally the best situation for him and the only other team that you can argue would be a threat to pick him up would be the Lakers and even that would take them offering a huge contract and I just don't see them doing that given how much they already have committed to Kobe and Nash and them wanting to pursue Carmelo or Lebron.

I honestly like our chances of resigning Lowry and it would do absolute wonders for The Raptors reputation to be able keep the guy with our record of losing our best players.
      I didn't realize we had to be under the cap this year to treat this year as a renegotiation. I thought we could offer him north of $10mm a year but that doesn't seem possible. Also limits his value as a trade chip unless he goes to a team with cap space, but there aren't many who'd be interested.

So it's a pickle. I guess we just have to trust MU to read the tea leaves as best he can.

Comment

• Lowry can only sign an extension for 3 years under the current CBA. However, if his contract expires the Raps hold his Bird Rights allowing him to sign for 5 years. Also, I believe that an extension limits the amount he can be paid in the first year depending on the amount he is getting in the year previous.

In other words, signing an extension he would be leaving tens of millions.

Comment

• I think everyone is crazy to go on about the other word. Dose anyone thing were going to go from 40 wins to 20 like boston on Phily. Crazy. MU is looking like a genius right now. So I cant see the scenario where we get to the playoffs and then dump everyone for a shot at the draft next year were we will be talking about all these freshmen again, and how there is 15 game changers in another loaded draft. It's almost crazy to think we will have this conversation every year, or will cause there are people out there playing video games and making trades. Yeah the team might do well when your playing with them, but lets be honest. There is a good thing going, wether we keep lowery or not. He is a key piece but not the only. This conversation will go on every year. I am not sold on these young guys. And like I said before. The draft class is not full of game changers. Yes there are some good players coming in but not like everyone has stated. So lets keep playing and dump everyone next year or in the off season. Absolutely crazy. We offer Lowery a 3 year deal at about 9 mil to start if he dosent want it walk. We can find 2 guys to run the point, and still be good. I know everyone wants the superstar at every position, but not happening. Were going to have a team here not NYK with one guys chucking and not winning. That's what everyone thinks will happen. Regardless of what the future holds, no one here knows. LETS ENJOY THE WINNING WITHOUT ALL THIS BULLSHIT ALL THE TIME.

Comment

• delman21 wrote: View Post
            I think everyone is crazy to go on about the other word. Dose anyone thing were going to go from 40 wins to 20 like boston on Phily. Crazy. MU is looking like a genius right now. So I cant see the scenario where we get to the playoffs and then dump everyone for a shot at the draft next year were we will be talking about all these freshmen again, and how there is 15 game changers in another loaded draft. It's almost crazy to think we will have this conversation every year, or will cause there are people out there playing video games and making trades. Yeah the team might do well when your playing with them, but lets be honest. There is a good thing going, wether we keep lowery or not. He is a key piece but not the only. This conversation will go on every year. I am not sold on these young guys. And like I said before. The draft class is not full of game changers. Yes there are some good players coming in but not like everyone has stated. So lets keep playing and dump everyone next year or in the off season. Absolutely crazy. We offer Lowery a 3 year deal at about 9 mil to start if he dosent want it walk. We can find 2 guys to run the point, and still be good. I know everyone wants the superstar at every position, but not happening. Were going to have a team here not NYK with one guys chucking and not winning. That's what everyone thinks will happen. Regardless of what the future holds, no one here knows. LETS ENJOY THE WINNING WITHOUT ALL THIS BULLSHIT ALL THE TIME.
            Who is not enjoying winning?

Who is not enjoying quality basketball?

What is wrong questioning the sustainability of this winning - especially on a fan forum?

I believe cults are where you blindly accept what you are given.

As for Lowry, I believe taking him off the Raptors will be much more like taking LeBron off the Cavs versus taking Melo off the Nuggets.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Who is not enjoying winning?

Who is not enjoying quality basketball?

What is wrong questioning the sustainability of this winning - especially on a fan forum?

I believe cults are where you blindly accept what you are given.

As for Lowry, I believe taking him off the Raptors will be much more like taking LeBron off the Cavs versus taking Melo off the Nuggets.
              The one thing I would advise all Raptor fans is that in our scenario there could be someone better than Lowry, which is attainable in a trade or free agency that may make this team better. He's the best thing going for us in a long time, but if Kyle Lowry does not sign with the Raptors, it does not mean the Raptors can't build on this season. TL and MU are as good as it gets in this business so lets have a little faith.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                The one thing I would advise all Raptor fans is that in our scenario there could be someone better than Lowry, which is attainable in a trade or free agency that may make this team better. He's the best thing going for us in a long time, but if Kyle Lowry does not sign with the Raptors, it does not mean the Raptors can't build on this season. TL and MU are as good as it gets in this business so lets have a little faith.
                That is a good point too.

However free agency is not looking promising for free agents this year. Maybe there is a diamond in the rough sitting on someone's bench?

The trade route might be an option but to get anyone established, what do the Raptors have to give up? The draft is always a crap shoot but you never know. Last year no one saw MCW having a rookie season like he has had. This year no one saw Tyler Ennis coming out like he has at Syracuse. Ennis is having arguably the biggest impact of any freshman this season.

One think Leiweke did say is that they will look at any means of improving as long as it does not compromise young assets and draft picks.

A lot of posters seem to think any discussion of change or what happens beyond this season is negative. I disagree with that. This is a really exciting time for the Raptors. New ownership, new leadership, new front office, free of Bargnani, exciting players with potential still untapped. I love the business side (CBA, contracts, trades) of things nearly as much as the on court product.

Anyways, it really is an exciting time for the Raptors..... regardless if you think they are only moving forward or they might have to take a step back to really move ahead.

Comment

• Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                  I don't thinks M Steins report is based on any source. He's simply speculating and it's valid. It's only logical to think that Ujiri will try to sign Lowry to an extension before the trade deadline and consider trading him if he (Lowry) is unwilling.

However, I think it would take an irresistible offer to force Ujiri to do that. Considering the way things are going, it's very possible that he will keep the team undisturbed going into the play-offs.
                  I agree with your assessment. It is fine to speculate. I appreciate the lack of leaks from MU in this regard.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                    Yeah I don't agree with that at all. Look beyond the stats.

I also disagree with article saying that Lin is popular in Toronto. Is he? I mean Linsanity was big everywhere but you haven't heard a peep about him around here since. I haven't anyway. I guess he's not unpopular so you could say it's true. Not like he wouldn't be welcomed, but a worthy replacement for trading away the heart of the team? No one will buy that.
                    I'd think he'd be popular around. Gotta think multiculturalism. When he hit that game-winner against us a while back, the arena was like a Knicks home game.
                    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                    X