X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead
    replied
    isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Low risk, medium reward guy. Again though, not sure whether Orlando's ready to give up on him just yet.
    if you are blowing your team up and still not playing a guy id say they have given up.

Leave a comment:

• isaacthompson
    replied
    JRedmond14 wrote: View Post
    Andrew Nicholson might be a good piece to grab. As evidence by tonight's game he's not even playing. Good buy low stregthen bench option IMO
    Low risk, medium reward guy. Again though, not sure whether Orlando's ready to give up on him just yet.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    JRedmond14 wrote: View Post
    The guy who I think the Raptors should go after is Alec Burks. He is a 6'6, 6'11 wingspan, 211 lb combo guard who help strengthen our bench scoring even more. He would take over a sixth/seventh man role where he could also play the three. He is primarily a slashing scorer and the knock on him is his outside shooting. He is an excellent finisher and gets to the line about 4 times pg.

His contract right now is 2 years remaining with a $2,202,000 cap hit for 2013-14 and a $3,034,356 cap hit for 2014-15. At 22 years old, he is not even close to reaching his potential yet and he also recently had a career high of 34 points. He would make Salmons contract expendable this year if he fits in with the team.

It might take a pick to pry him away from the Jazz which is the only downside to this type of deal.
    Agree 100%. Burksy would make a fantastic sixth man. He's already the #5 sixth man this year in scoring. Underrated defender and distributor too.

Leave a comment:

• JRedmond14
    replied
    Andrew Nicholson might be a good piece to grab. As evidence by tonight's game he's not even playing. Good buy low stregthen bench option IMO

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    We can trade them expirings in the offseason (salmons, Hayes) that way they're not sacrificing their playoff hopes. I don't think we should make any moves in season right now. But I believe I did say sign and trade.

Agreed about Novak but does he have any skills? I just lumped him as a 4 cause he's got the body
    Yeah, he's position-less. He just shoots 3s. I've no idea what the Knicks were thinking when they gave him 15 mil. Linsanity.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; Wed Jan 29, 2014, 08:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Depends on the picks. In general they are trying to make the playoffs, and then probably target free agency this summer and fill the holes. If you offer them picks and garbage contracts, that goes against both of those goals, so it would have to be a 3 team deal I imagine.

PS: Novak isn't a true stretch 4, he's just a tall guy who shoots 3s. He has no PF skills.
    We can trade them expirings in the offseason (salmons, Hayes) that way they're not sacrificing their playoff hopes. I don't think we should make any moves in season right now. But I believe I did say sign and trade.

Agreed about Novak but does he have any skills? I just lumped him as a 4 cause he's got the body

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    I posted a scenario in another thread where I suggested we could try to get Chandler for Vasquez and Hans. Denver is looking to cut ties with miller, so they'll need a backup PG. they're also in need of some frontcourt toughness, depth and rebounding. Hans fits that bill.

Monroe won't be TOO hard to pry from Detroit, I don't think they really want him anymore with j smoove and Drummond. We can either sign him to an offer sheet or try a s&t for Novak (a true stretch 4, who might actually make them better on d) maybe Hayes (who I believe expires in 2015 and could help mentor Drummond) and some picks of some sort?

Anyways, with JV, Monroe, Chandler, Ross, Lowry and DD and Amir off the bench, I think that should be a top 4 EC team next year
    Depends on the picks. In general they are trying to make the playoffs, and then probably target free agency this summer and fill the holes. If you offer them picks and garbage contracts, that goes against both of those goals, so it would have to be a 3 team deal I imagine.

PS: Novak isn't a true stretch 4, he's just a tall guy who shoots 3s. He has no PF skills.

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    torch19 wrote: View Post
    I posted ^^ before I saw this. What do you know?

Big Wing (check)
    Post Presence (check)

Although, how bad is Greg Monroe on defense? Can he be that bad that Novak provides more D?
    He's not terrible, I'm just messing with him a bit cause he bit on a JV pump fake, after Drummond had bit on one not 5 minutes earlier

Leave a comment:

• torch19
    replied
    I posted a scenario in another thread where I suggested we could try to get Chandler for Vasquez and Hans. Denver is looking to cut ties with miller, so they'll need a backup PG. they're also in need of some frontcourt toughness, depth and rebounding. Hans fits that bill.

Monroe won't be TOO hard to pry from Detroit, I don't think they really want him anymore with j smoove and Drummond. We can either sign him to an offer sheet or try a s&t for Novak (a true stretch 4, who might actually make them better on d) maybe Hayes (who I believe expires in 2015 and could help mentor Drummond) and some picks of some sort?

Anyways, with JV, Monroe, Chandler, Ross, Lowry and DD and Amir off the bench, I think that should be a top 4 EC team next year
    I posted ^^ before I saw this. What do you know?

Big Wing (check)
    Post Presence (check)

Although, how bad is Greg Monroe on defense? Can he be that bad that Novak provides more D?

Leave a comment:

• torch19
    replied
    We need a big wing player who can defend the bigger 34's of the league. Jeff Green, Wilson Chandler, those types.

Also, a low post presence would be nice. Our best post player is DeMar DeRozan (& by a long shot). We can't live and die off jumpers; it will kill us in the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    JawsGT wrote: View Post
    The trade deadline is usually quiet in the NBA, and I expect the same this year. Usually a lot of talk but no action. The type of player I think could really help the Raps is one like Z-Bo. We need more inside and low-post scoring, plus I think his personality would fit well with the team. The problem with Z-Bo of course is his pay and age. If acquiring Z-Bo were to make us contenders this year than I would be fine with pursuing him, but I don't think it does so I would pass on him. But that type of player would be great I think.

Monroe is another name. I think TRoss, Hans, and maybe a second rounder or two would be a good offer. I'm not sure it would be enough for DET though. But I still hesitate on this offer, as I would like to see how Ross develops, plus it leaves us with a glaring hole at SF. Now maybe we can address the SF position at the draft, and if there was a way to get a guy like Wilson Chandler for next season I think that would be pretty good going forward.

Rolling into next season with a core of JV, Monroe, Chandler, Demar, Lowry, Amir, 2Pat and Vasquez would be nice I think, but I'm not sure how that's put us in terms of cap. Monroe, Lowry, as well as 2Pat and Vazquez would need to be resigned in the offseason I think, so we would probably be capped out with a roster that hasn't had much time together, which is a somewhat scary.

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    magoon wrote: View Post
    You want to target teams who want to compete after 2014. Orlando definitely, probably Boston, maybe Utah/Milwaukee.

So let's say Milwaukee. I've discussed before that Gary Neal might be a decent scoring wing for us to acquire. We call up Milwaukee and offer them Dwight Buycks and our 2014 pick for Gary Neal and the Bucks' 2015 pick. Now the Bucks have more ammunition in the 2014 draft - they might be resigned to the tank this year but they definitely aren't interested in a long-term rebuild, they want to be able to build out of the this year's draft and get right back to competing. This trade gives them the means to do that - our pick is insurance that they can get their guy in the draft even if they don't get the #1 slot (because at worst they have the #4, and many tanking teams will have to consider trading down for the #4 and the #20), and if they get the #1 slot then they have another asset in the stacked draft to try and package for, say, a second lottery pick in the 8-12 range.
    I see.

I don't mind Gary Neal, I think he would help, although overall I see him as negative value because he eats into the cap space this summer.

But if Ujiri decides that the 2014 free agency isn't likely to give a significant piece, why not. In that case, I think Carlos Delfino and Mike Dunleavy are two other cheap well shooting backups who would help this team and who are probably available for free (or rather for saving them money, e.g., Dunleavy + Hinrich for Salmons, or Delfino + Udoh for Salmons, etc).

Re pick swap in that scenario, I think it would be more likely in a draft day trade. If Ujiri's targets are off the board, why not. There's so much unclear right now. A lot of risk for both sides. Unclear where that Toronto pick will be, unclear where that 2015 Milwaukee pick will be, who will be available in 2014. Milwaukee would definitely want to place protections on that 2015 pick, but overall there's no much point to trade that 2015 pick at all, unless they really like the 2014 guy available where Toronto picks. Which they can't know right now.

Leave a comment:

• IROR
    replied
    I do like D Mo, create a LTU brotherhood in Toronto hah. Perk is pretty bad, granted, but he would fill in nicely as a backup C (that price tag though..).

I would say a second rounder would sweeten the pot enough for me, as long as the talent going the other way is comparable (Hayes, Novak, fields).

Gary Neal? Is also quite awful that would be a tough trade to make..

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    magoon wrote: View Post
    Not unless the Thunder give us major incentive to take him. Perkins is awful.
    After Feb.10, I was thinking the Raps could trade Salmons & Hansborough & OKC 2014 2nd round pick for Perkins & OKC 2014 1st round pick. Hansborough would essentially replace Perkins, while Salmons would give them a veteran wing that helps at both ends of the court. It would also help OKC save up to $7.4M next season (Perkins' $9.4M contract - $1M guaranteed for each of Salmons & Hansborough). If the Raps could squeeze another asset out of OKC (ie: Lamb or Jones), even better (but less likely).

This type of deal made more sense when it seemed like the Raptors were starting a rebuild this season. Not so much if the team is thinking playoffs this season - in that case, Salmons & Hansborough (their contracts) might have more value at/after the draft.

Leave a comment:

• magoon
    replied
    IROR wrote: View Post
    Terrence Jones - Could see Houston liking a swap for Patterson, even though they traded him to Sac
    Houston is trying to move D-Mo; Jones is playing way above his contract level and won't get moved. D-Mo is definitely worth considering, though.

KENDRICK PERKINS - although that contract is a bitter pill to swallow next year, ouch. Dudes a winner though and brings Championship pedigree to the locker room.
    Not unless the Thunder give us major incentive to take him. Perkins is awful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X