X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One
    replied
    thead wrote: View Post
    I have seen it suggested by some that the Raptors may be buyers come the trade deadline instead of sellers.

So let's put on our thinking caps in case Masai is reading

1.) who do we think or know is for sale?

2.) who is expendable to land said person?

3.) do we start giving up picks in order to land a stud?

I think guys like Jeff Green, Danny Granger, Zach Randolph, Pau Gasol etc... are players that could be for sale. I'd love for us to snag Ersan Ilyasova personally...if we are going forward with Lowry he is the perfect 3 to compliment
    We don't have any assets to trade for a 'stud' player. Pretty sure, JV, Ross, DD, and our own 2014 1st round pick are not going anywhere. So how do we get that stud player?

As for the names that you mentioned. Randolph is the perfect fit because what this Raps team is lacking is a big that can post up and score.

Only 2 things can happen between now and the trade deadline:

1. A Kyle Lowry trade.
    2. Nothing.

PS - No way i trade Lowry for GARBAGE. By garbage, i mean, the Knicks and Nets rumoured offer a month or so ago. Or the ESPN Insider article that i read earlier today about Lowry to the Rockets for Lin and draft picks.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    Guys like Ilyasova and especially Green don't really move the needle. I don't really see how they'd be that much of an upgrade especially since at this stage of their careers they are what they are.

Need to look younger. More potential.

One guy I'd throw the kitchen sink at is Po. I don't think Milwaukee does more than laugh if you ask about him though.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    I have seen it suggested by some that the Raptors may be buyers come the trade deadline instead of sellers.

I think guys like Jeff Green, Danny Granger, Zach Randolph, Pau Gasol etc... are players that could be for sale. I'd love for us to snag Ersan Ilyasova personally...if we are going forward with Lowry he is the perfect 3 to compliment
    Good thread idea.

1.) Go to HoopsHype.com daily! lol

2.) I'd like to see Ross and JV kept strictly because of their rookie deals and the benefits of restricted free agency along with Bird Rights.

3.) No no no no. Please no trading of picks. They are so valuable today. However if Masai has an established core in his mind, then sure. Indiana, for example, did not give up any picks until this past year to strengthen their bench with their core of Hill/Lance/PG/West/Hibbert established.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Fully wrote: View Post
    I'd be willing to part with the Knicks 2016 pick in a deal if it meant bringing in a solid, young piece. I could probably even be convinced to move the team's 2014 first rounder if you could find a team willing to really overpay for it (and I mean REALLY overpay for it), but only if it's closer to the deadline and it becomes more certain that it will fall somewhere between 17-21.
    My preference would be to try and package a few first rounders together, plus something else, and go after a legit elite player. Trading a pick for a young player who you have less control over in terms of years and salary doesn't seem very wise all things being equal.

Leave a comment:

• thead
    replied
    Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Hes a Power Forward actually. or at least according to his last 3 seasons and NBA.com Stretch 4.
    you sir just ruined my life...it was my understanding that he could play either with profeciency...if forced to choose however I would still take him over 2Pat even though I got love for Patman

Leave a comment:

• Rapstor4Life
    replied
    Ilyasova is a 3

Hes a Power Forward actually. or at least according to his last 3 seasons and NBA.com Stretch 4.

Leave a comment:

• thead
    replied
    Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Is Ilyasova really a good pick up when we have 2Pat that plays better D and younger.
    Ilyasova is a 3

people say you don't want too much of a good thing but when the skills you are duplicating are passing rebounding defense and 3pt shooting, high IQ unselfish basketball...well...give me 15 of those

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied

None of those players are what I would call studs (at least anymore). Have you seen Ilyasova play this season? Stats are brutal and who knows if he'll recover. Green is intriguing but not sure I'd give up one of our starters for him.

And I don't think Monroe is a 4...at least not on the Raptors anyway. And I'd take JV over him.
    Last edited by Mess; Tue Jan 28, 2014, 07:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rapstor4Life
    replied
    Is Ilyasova really a good pick up when we have 2Pat that plays better D and younger.

Leave a comment:

• Fully
    replied
    RFAs are totally on topic. I'd wake up hard every morning with a Ilyasova, Monroe, JV front court
    Off topic was probably the wrong way to frame it.

Hypothetically if you were going to go after Green or Ilyasova, I'm assuming the hope would be that you could get them for a lot lower price than under 'normal' circumstances because Boston and Milwaukee are both tanking/rebuilding and they may be desperate to get something, anything for guys like that on their way to the bottom. Basically, we'd be taking advantage of the 'fire sale' term that gets thrown around so often when discussing tanking. This is where the term buyers market comes in.

On the other hand, a team like Detroit still has playoff hopes for this year and is on the way up opposed to on the way down, so the chances of you stealing a guy like Monroe from them would be a lot less. I'm not saying he's not available - - just that you'd have to pony up a lot more to land him.

Leave a comment:

• grindhouse
    replied

going to give my thoughts for the penny thats its worth. lowry is playing well offensively and defensively but it only happened because of the trade in my opinion or because his name was rumored to be traded. the question for me is has he bought into playing this way from now on?

JV is our center piece and we should be building around him. ross fits we know that, corner 3's and defensive is enough for what we need of him everything after that like 51 pt games is a bonus. demar can not guard or score on everyone at his positions if some how some way you can insert wiggins i would be happy BUT it has to be a upgrade cause demar has chemistry with the team.

amir and patterson fit well with JV

back to lowry....

6'5 is the size of the point guard u want and there are some in the draft. zach lavine is one.

MU u can pull of both lavine and wiggins and give up lowry, demar, amir I am all in.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    I hate to say it but nothing will happen on the trade deadline.. nothing ever does. Teams looking to 'get worse' (sellers) will have a hard time finding takers that would be willing to affect chemistry (buyers).

Guys like Green, Randolph, Ilyasova, etc all come with a price. And that price would be a draft pick. Really don't think a GM would be willing to gamble away a pick on the off chance that the talent they acquire will take them over the top when in a lot of cases it can just deflate team chemistry.

If there is movement, I really hope MU doesn't end up as a buyer. The goal should still be the future not the present.

Leave a comment:

• thead
    replied
    Fully wrote: View Post

Kind of off topic but the guy who has always intrigued me as a potential get was Greg Monroe.
    RFAs are totally on topic. I'd wake up hard every morning with a Ilyasova, Monroe, JV front court

Leave a comment:

• thead
    replied
    someone LIKE Iyasova and Green could be had because the salary taken back is long term. You might not have to surrender picks to get that done

Leave a comment:

• Fully
    replied
    Yeah I hope that any player acquired at the deadline would be young enough that you can build around them this season, and many seasons beyond. That would rule out guys like Randolph, Gasol and Granger for me. Green and Ilyasova would probably both be available, but the Celtics and Bucks respectively would be looking for young, cheap talent (Ross/JV) and/or first round picks in return.

I'd be willing to part with the Knicks 2016 pick in a deal if it meant bringing in a solid, young piece. I could probably even be convinced to move the team's 2014 first rounder if you could find a team willing to really overpay for it (and I mean REALLY overpay for it), but only if it's closer to the deadline and it becomes more certain that it will fall somewhere between 17-21.

Kind of off topic but the guy who has always intrigued me as a potential get was Greg Monroe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X