Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which referees screw us the most---please name names.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    They should start by paying them more. Like, a million dollars a year. Would attract better candidates.
    Not sure that would help. Part of the problem is clearly that some refs want to be part of the "show" *cough* Dick Bavetta *cough*. Not sure making them millionaires will help with such guys.

    Comment


    • #17
      Dick bevetta! His name says it all!
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

      Comment


      • #18
        tucas wrote: View Post
        I actually like Joey Crawford. I think he's one of the more unbiased refs. Dick Bavetta is...well a dick.
        Crawford is ok when he's not suddenly deciding to make random calls. The most infamous of which is the tech he gave Tim Duncan for laughing on the bench....claiming Duncan was saying something disrespectful when there was no way Crawford could've heard what was going on on the bench. But he's often involved in moments like that.

        But yes, I also agree that when he's not having an episode (don't know how else to categorize those calls), he's actually pretty balanced.

        Refs don't have to call a perfect game. But they should avoid affecting the natural rhythm and flow of a game. And they should be consistent with certain calls as a crew within a game. For example, the reason the charge against Lowry was so frustrating was that he got called for a block in an almost identical situation earlier in the game (when he arguably had better positioning than Deron did). Block/charge is a really hard call to make, but the inconsistency is still incredibly frustrating.

        Comment


        • #19
          Oliver Clothesov and Amanda Hugginkiss.

          Comment


          • #20
            tucas wrote: View Post
            I actually like Joey Crawford. I think he's one of the more unbiased refs.
            what
            @sweatpantsjer

            Comment


            • #21
              JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              They should start by paying them more. Like, a million dollars a year. Would attract better candidates.
              So your saying that in order to fix bad refs is to pay them more? IMHO that makes absolutely no sense
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

              Comment


              • #22
                white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Not sure that would help. Part of the problem is clearly that some refs want to be part of the "show" *cough* Dick Bavetta *cough*. Not sure making them millionaires will help with such guys.
                Yeah exactly the problem is that instead of them reffing and being a medium they want to be part of the action and affect the game!!!
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

                Comment


                • #23
                  4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                  So your saying that in order to fix bad refs is to pay them more? IMHO that makes absolutely no sense
                  Maybe read the third of the three sentences I wrote I'm saying they should raise the pay scale to attract better quality candidates.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                    Maybe read the third of the three sentences I wrote I'm saying they should raise the pay scale to attract better quality candidates.
                    So you just fire all the current refs?
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                      So you just fire all the current refs?
                      Heheh well, I was thinking more longterm. This wouldn't address the current refs at all.

                      One thing I've always wondered: what does an NBA refs day/week/year look like? How much time do they put in aside from reffing actual games? How much training do they do to stay sharp?
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                        Heheh well, I was thinking more longterm. This wouldn't address the current refs at all.

                        One thing I've always wondered: what does an NBA refs day/week/year look like? How much time do they put in aside from reffing actual games? How much training do they do to stay sharp?
                        I don't know. "training" isn't that critical for reffing. What you need is high level of accountability, which seems pretty unlikely. *Edit: Refs getting sharper is usually dependent on high quality evaluation from a different, 3rd party (eg. ref supervisors) perspective. That means having real authority at the top, and having a wide enough pool that you can rotate guys in/out when they're failing/succeeding. I think this last part is the big problem with the NBA. If the pool were bigger it would force guys to perform at their best as they could lose work. Then you could also increase salaries (per game) so that a quality ref will have more assignments and make more money.
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jan 28, 2014, 09:48 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          Joe Crawford or Dick Bavetta? (both are appropriate answers)



                          dick bavetta, that's it. Haha
                          "Masai WILL win us a championship"
                          - Tim Leiweke

                          Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

                          Reporter: "How can you say that?"

                          Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            This entire thread is basically, "how many refs can you name?"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              This entire thread is basically, "how many refs can you name?"
                              No. It is to name specific refs who consistently give us bad calls. For example Leon Washington I find to be very fair and consistent in his calls. Not all refs are bad but some seem to repeatedly give certain teams the short end if the stick.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I agree with the concept of in dependant evaluation of performance.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X