Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veteran mentors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Veteran mentors

    How important are veteran mentors to a young player's development? I'd say very

    However, his defensive progress is tough to see, at least so far. According to nbawowy.com, the Raptors allow 1.07 points per possession when Valanciunas is on the floor, and 1.01 when he is on the bench. That is essentially the difference between a very good defence and a below-average one. For a player that is expected to be the glue of the Raptors’ defence, that is worrying. Hayes stops that line of thought immediately.

    “It takes about five years — four or five years. You just learn through experience,” Hayes said. “You learn through veterans. You see so many different sets. You learn how to pick out guys’ tendencies. A lot of it is just talking. You have to talk.”

    “He’s getting better. He still has a way to go, just understanding and having confidence,” Raptors coach Dwane Casey added. “He has lulls where he doesn’t do it like any young player does. He’s learning from Chuck. … He’s better than he was.

    Valanciunas’s defensive ability is going to determine if he can earn more and more of Casey’s trust as the season progresses. Casey will not abide by blown coverages, particularly with the playoffs approaching. In the coach’s words, the centre has to be the team’s defensive “radar.”

    “The other guys have done a good job of helping Jonas out and directing him in certain situations,” Casey said
    Seems like a certain type of veteran can be more helpful too. He has to have a strong motor and good basketball IQ.

    If we lose Salmons, is it important to pick up someone to fill in his shoes as a mentor for our young wings?
    Last edited by stooley; Thu Jan 30, 2014, 12:45 PM.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

    -Superjudge, 7/23

    Hope you're wrong.

  • #2
    stooley wrote: View Post
    How important are veteran mentors to a young player's development? I'd say very



    Seems like a certain type of veteran can be more helpful too. He has to have a strong motor and good basketball IQ.

    If we lose Salmons, is it important to pick up someone to fill in his shoes as a mentor for our young wings?
    It's the small things that vets teach you. Last night JV was hedging on a deep pick and roll, leaving his man in the paint right in front of the basket. Amir was on the far baseline/key area, saw the play developing, and left his man to pick up JV's. He got there before the pass, and JV's man (Davis, I think) had zero room to put the ball on the floor or shoot. So he shovelled the pass to Amir's open man for an easy dunk. JV, meanwhile, just stood still where he had hedged. He turned and watched the entire play unfold without moving. He needed about 2 steps to get from his spot to Amir's open man. If he had moved as quickly as Amir had, by anticipating the play, he would have been there to contest instead of allowing an easy dunk.

    It's those little things. Those are the reasons I'm not worried about him playing "only" 20 minutes on his bad nights instead of playing through poor performances. It's good for him to sit on the bench and watch a 9 year vet (The Chuck Wagon) play in the post.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

    Comment


    • #3
      Salmons kind of has the droopy dog look. Such a relaxed old man.
      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

      Comment


      • #4
        If we keep Demar and TRoss as our wing combo, then I would certainly prefer to have veteran wing like Salmons on board as well. Same for the frontline, it would be great to have a veteran big on board as well, and I'm sure the Chuck Wagon (lol) is doing a good job presently helping Jonas.

        Comment


        • #5
          KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Salmons kind of has the droopy dog look. Such a relaxed old man.
          lol, the dude shows such little emotion...he's expressionless, good at poker I bet.

          Comment


          • #6
            I would love for us to sign an old-man PG to back up Lowry. Not only could he provide some calm and consistent play to the 2nd unit, but he could help Jonas too with his pick and roll timing and low post positioning. I don't know if there is anyone who could fill that role though. If Steve Nash was willing to come here for cheap, I feel like that would be ideal. Thoughts?

            Comment


            • #7
              92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
              I would love for us to sign an old-man PG to back up Lowry. Not only could he provide some calm and consistent play to the 2nd unit, but he could help Jonas too with his pick and roll timing and low post positioning. I don't know if there is anyone who could fill that role though. If Steve Nash was willing to come here for cheap, I feel like that would be ideal. Thoughts?
              Andre Miller's a name that's been thrown around in the past. He's an old man who still has game (and who Masai is familiar with).

              Comment


              • #8
                Nilanka wrote: View Post
                Andre Miller's a name that's been thrown around in the past. He's an old man who still has game (and who Masai is familiar with).
                Definitely Miller...that dude could probably score on JV in the post!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Andre Miller's a name that's been thrown around in the past. He's an old man who still has game (and who Masai is familiar with).
                  Pass on Miller. I think he's finally declining to a point where you don't really want him on your team. Maybe as a FA, but I wouldn't trade anything for him (unless they're taking Fields or Novak).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    JawsGT wrote: View Post
                    Definitely Miller...that dude could probably score on JV in the post!!
                    Lol, true. Haven't seen that kind of low-post tenacity from the PG spot since Mark Jackson.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Kirk Hinrich?

                      Jarret Jack?

                      JJ Barea?

                      Luke Ridnour?

                      Ramon Sessions?

                      Nate Robinson?

                      Rodney Stuckey?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think veterans are very important.. I really don't think DD would have blossomed as much as he did this year without Gay there. I don't think a PG mentor is really needed.. not when Lowry is already 27 and into his prime.

                        But if you get a veteran you need one that has both talent and character, and those are hard to come by. Chuck is a good guy to have around.. if he is moved then you'd want someone like him to continue to help JV.

                        I wonder would it would take to get Duncan from SA, as he'd be perfect

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This is precisely why a guy like Hayes is perfect for Val. I'm not sure I'd say we need mentors at other positions with our team tho. I think a guy like Ross needs a coach that'll really challenge him more than anything. This isn't a anti-Casey rant but bring in a coach who'll work with the wings to elevate their game.

                          51 just helps prove Ross' ceiling is much higher than most though. Obviously I'm not saying he's going to win a scoring title nah time soon but I do believe he's more than a 3+D guy.
                          @sweatpantsjer

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I think veterans are very important.. I really don't think DD would have blossomed as much as he did this year without Gay there. I don't think a PG mentor is really needed.. not when Lowry is already 27 and into his prime.

                            But if you get a veteran you need one that has both talent and character, and those are hard to come by. Chuck is a good guy to have around.. if he is moved then you'd want someone like him to continue to help JV.

                            I wonder would it would take to get Duncan from SA, as he'd be perfect
                            Yeah, you might be right there. However, I like Miller because he could definitely help Demar and Ross, with post-ups if nothing else but probably with their ball handling, passing, and recognition of defensive schemes and such. Furthermore, I don't think Miller would have to spend much time on the floor to have an impact. I would look at him as maybe a 3rd PG or 4th or 5th wing, if we were to keep Vasquez or draft another PG. As long as he showed up to practice and cheered the guys from the bench I think he could be a net positive!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Miller wants to play and win, not mentor. He wouldn't be a good fit here IMO.
                              @sweatpantsjer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X