Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump
    replied
    Well, the Lithuanian team should be just as invested as the Raptors in improving his post game. So I'm sure he'll get plenty of reps practicing with them. Jonas is a workaholic. I'm more concerned about him getting some solid foundational instruction in things, so he can do the right reps all summer.

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know how much ball JV is planning on playing this summer? I understand that he played a lot of ball last summer. Just trying to build on your point about improving his offence, because I am concerned that if he plays a significant amount of time playing this summer, he may not get the practice time necessary to expand his low post game.
    I would expect he's planning on playing for Lithuania at the worlds, which probably means a couple weeks of camp, a couple warm up games, and anywhere from 5 and 9 tournament games. On the other hand, I think it's safe to say that he won't be going to summer league this year (his dominance last year would suggest there's little he can gain there), so he can use that time to practice. The FIBA Worlds is late in the summer - late August to mid September, so after our season is over, he's got a good window to rest up and then hit the gym for a couple months before training with the national team.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Z
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Kirk Hinrich?

Jarret Jack?

JJ Barea?

Luke Ridnour?

Ramon Sessions?

Nate Robinson?

Rodney Stuckey?
    I'm not down with any of those guys lol

Leave a comment:

• stooley
    replied
    Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know how much ball JV is planning on playing this summer? I understand that he played a lot of ball last summer. Just trying to build on your point about improving his offence, because I am concerned that if he plays a significant amount of time playing this summer, he may not get the practice time necessary to expand his low post game.
    I completely agree, I hope he takes some time to practice skills instead of playing games, running sets all summer.

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    But a horrible mentor defensively.

It's hard to improve O during a season. A guy can work on it a bit, but O is something you put the work in for during the summer.

D can always be improved at any time because it's not dependent on specific reps. You get better by trying to improve your attention to detail in games, in practices and in video sessions. I think a mentor for that is much more important than for O with Jonas. He'll get regular tutelage from Sabonis with Lithuania in the summers, and if they can get him a couple of summers of work with a guy like Hakeem, that's fine with me too. But he needs a guy(s) who will be able to constantly point things out to him and help him improve his attention to detail on D.

*It's too bad too...it's hard to think of good active players for that aspect. I'd definitely consider Oakley and Kurt Thomas as guys who could fit that bill though, even without playing.

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Boozer would be a great mentor for the low post
    But a horrible mentor defensively.

It's hard to improve O during a season. A guy can work on it a bit, but O is something you put the work in for during the summer.

D can always be improved at any time because it's not dependent on specific reps. You get better by trying to improve your attention to detail in games, in practices and in video sessions. I think a mentor for that is much more important than for O with Jonas. He'll get regular tutelage from Sabonis with Lithuania in the summers, and if they can get him a couple of summers of work with a guy like Hakeem, that's fine with me too. But he needs a guy(s) who will be able to constantly point things out to him and help him improve his attention to detail on D.

*It's too bad too...it's hard to think of good active players for that aspect. I'd definitely consider Oakley and Kurt Thomas as guys who could fit that bill though, even without playing.

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    Boozer would be a great mentor for the low post

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    Miller wants to play and win, not mentor. He wouldn't be a good fit here IMO.

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    I think veterans are very important.. I really don't think DD would have blossomed as much as he did this year without Gay there. I don't think a PG mentor is really needed.. not when Lowry is already 27 and into his prime.

But if you get a veteran you need one that has both talent and character, and those are hard to come by. Chuck is a good guy to have around.. if he is moved then you'd want someone like him to continue to help JV.

I wonder would it would take to get Duncan from SA, as he'd be perfect
    Yeah, you might be right there. However, I like Miller because he could definitely help Demar and Ross, with post-ups if nothing else but probably with their ball handling, passing, and recognition of defensive schemes and such. Furthermore, I don't think Miller would have to spend much time on the floor to have an impact. I would look at him as maybe a 3rd PG or 4th or 5th wing, if we were to keep Vasquez or draft another PG. As long as he showed up to practice and cheered the guys from the bench I think he could be a net positive!

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    This is precisely why a guy like Hayes is perfect for Val. I'm not sure I'd say we need mentors at other positions with our team tho. I think a guy like Ross needs a coach that'll really challenge him more than anything. This isn't a anti-Casey rant but bring in a coach who'll work with the wings to elevate their game.

51 just helps prove Ross' ceiling is much higher than most though. Obviously I'm not saying he's going to win a scoring title nah time soon but I do believe he's more than a 3+D guy.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    I think veterans are very important.. I really don't think DD would have blossomed as much as he did this year without Gay there. I don't think a PG mentor is really needed.. not when Lowry is already 27 and into his prime.

But if you get a veteran you need one that has both talent and character, and those are hard to come by. Chuck is a good guy to have around.. if he is moved then you'd want someone like him to continue to help JV.

I wonder would it would take to get Duncan from SA, as he'd be perfect

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Kirk Hinrich?

Jarret Jack?

JJ Barea?

Luke Ridnour?

Ramon Sessions?

Nate Robinson?

Rodney Stuckey?

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Definitely Miller...that dude could probably score on JV in the post!!
    Lol, true. Haven't seen that kind of low-post tenacity from the PG spot since Mark Jackson.

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    Andre Miller's a name that's been thrown around in the past. He's an old man who still has game (and who Masai is familiar with).
    Pass on Miller. I think he's finally declining to a point where you don't really want him on your team. Maybe as a FA, but I wouldn't trade anything for him (unless they're taking Fields or Novak).

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    Andre Miller's a name that's been thrown around in the past. He's an old man who still has game (and who Masai is familiar with).
    Definitely Miller...that dude could probably score on JV in the post!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X