• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boozer would be a great mentor for the low post

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      Boozer would be a great mentor for the low post
      But a horrible mentor defensively.

It's hard to improve O during a season. A guy can work on it a bit, but O is something you put the work in for during the summer.

D can always be improved at any time because it's not dependent on specific reps. You get better by trying to improve your attention to detail in games, in practices and in video sessions. I think a mentor for that is much more important than for O with Jonas. He'll get regular tutelage from Sabonis with Lithuania in the summers, and if they can get him a couple of summers of work with a guy like Hakeem, that's fine with me too. But he needs a guy(s) who will be able to constantly point things out to him and help him improve his attention to detail on D.

*It's too bad too...it's hard to think of good active players for that aspect. I'd definitely consider Oakley and Kurt Thomas as guys who could fit that bill though, even without playing.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        But a horrible mentor defensively.

It's hard to improve O during a season. A guy can work on it a bit, but O is something you put the work in for during the summer.

D can always be improved at any time because it's not dependent on specific reps. You get better by trying to improve your attention to detail in games, in practices and in video sessions. I think a mentor for that is much more important than for O with Jonas. He'll get regular tutelage from Sabonis with Lithuania in the summers, and if they can get him a couple of summers of work with a guy like Hakeem, that's fine with me too. But he needs a guy(s) who will be able to constantly point things out to him and help him improve his attention to detail on D.

*It's too bad too...it's hard to think of good active players for that aspect. I'd definitely consider Oakley and Kurt Thomas as guys who could fit that bill though, even without playing.
        Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know how much ball JV is planning on playing this summer? I understand that he played a lot of ball last summer. Just trying to build on your point about improving his offence, because I am concerned that if he plays a significant amount of time playing this summer, he may not get the practice time necessary to expand his low post game.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
          Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know how much ball JV is planning on playing this summer? I understand that he played a lot of ball last summer. Just trying to build on your point about improving his offence, because I am concerned that if he plays a significant amount of time playing this summer, he may not get the practice time necessary to expand his low post game.
          I completely agree, I hope he takes some time to practice skills instead of playing games, running sets all summer.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Kirk Hinrich?

Jarret Jack?

JJ Barea?

Luke Ridnour?

Ramon Sessions?

Nate Robinson?

Rodney Stuckey?
            I'm not down with any of those guys lol
            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
              I would expect he's planning on playing for Lithuania at the worlds, which probably means a couple weeks of camp, a couple warm up games, and anywhere from 5 and 9 tournament games. On the other hand, I think it's safe to say that he won't be going to summer league this year (his dominance last year would suggest there's little he can gain there), so he can use that time to practice. The FIBA Worlds is late in the summer - late August to mid September, so after our season is over, he's got a good window to rest up and then hit the gym for a couple months before training with the national team.

Comment

Well, the Lithuanian team should be just as invested as the Raptors in improving his post game. So I'm sure he'll get plenty of reps practicing with them. Jonas is a workaholic. I'm more concerned about him getting some solid foundational instruction in things, so he can do the right reps all summer.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                  KryptoNate interests me, purely for his intensity off the bench. I just don't see him as a fit with this unit.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                    I couldn't think of any other "old man" point guards who would never be mistaken for a starter.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I couldn't think of any other "old man" point guards who would never be mistaken for a starter.
                      derek fisher lol but he's taken.
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Vince would be great I saw this segment on Nba Tv where he was working with Oj myo and Jae Crowder last season seems like a GREAT locker room guy
                        #BringBackUzoh

Comment

feet85 wrote: View Post
                          Vince would be great I saw this segment on Nba Tv where he was working with Oj myo and Jae Crowder last season seems like a GREAT locker room guy
                          I would absolutely love to get Vince back.
                          Can't think of a better choice.

Comment

The raptors or Lithuania national team need to add sabonis. No better vet for JVal!

Comment

feet85 wrote: View Post
                              That's ironic
                              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

I was just thinking it might be nice to poach Kaman from the Lakers. Good veteran, bit of a scorer
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X