Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting 'JV' Fact

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    golden wrote: View Post
    It's a valid point related to Casey's short leash with young players vs. veterans. Veterans are allowed to make the same mistakes over and over, but Casey still sticks with them - Gay and Vasquez come to mind immediately. If JV or Ross make mistakes in the 1st quarter, then they don't always get a chance to redeem themselves later in the game, and definitely not in the fourth quarter.
    Casey is not the coach that we need is we like to get somewhere with this team. Believe me!....

    Comment


    • #17
      iblastoff wrote: View Post
      theres never a 'point' that it does. it totally depends on a ton of variables. its like saying demar derozan has been in the starting lineup for numerous seasons and we've had an overall losing record therefore i guess he needs to go. its just a random stat that just happens to line up with each other.
      I get what you're saying where some stats just line up and have no correlation (hence the correlation/causation), but JV taking more shots and us winning more are not unrelated stats....it isn't a be all end all "we will win if JV takes 10+ shots," but there may be some correlation.

      ie) The ball goes inside more?

      Comment


      • #18
        OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
        I get what you're saying where some stats just line up and have no correlation (hence the correlation/causation), but JV taking more shots and us winning more are not unrelated stats....it isn't a be all end all "we will win if JV takes 10+ shots," but there may be some correlation.

        ie) The ball goes inside more?
        12-4 when JV gets 10 or more FGA. Not a perfect correlation.

        Comment


        • #19
          OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          I get what you're saying where some stats just line up and have no correlation (hence the correlation/causation), but JV taking more shots and us winning more are not unrelated stats....it isn't a be all end all "we will win if JV takes 10+ shots," but there may be some correlation.

          ie) The ball goes inside more?
          I see what you're saying, the stat definitely begs the question of whether there is any causation.

          I think it may be more along the lines of:

          JV sits more when he's playing poorly.
          JV doesn't get as many FGA when he's playing poorly.
          >>> Raptors win when JV plays well?
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

          -Superjudge, 7/23

          Hope you're wrong.

          Comment


          • #20
            Letter N wrote: View Post
            Correlation doesn't equal causation.

            JV may get 12 points or more, or 10 FGA attempts or more, in wins because the Raps are more willing to run plays to a low option when the game is out of hand or when the opponent is weak.
            To rephrase it, it's almost impossible to say whether a stat is descriptive or prescriptive. Does JV have an easier time posting up poor teams with weak interior D? Of course. Does he have a hard time posting up against good teams with strong interior D and quick rotations? Of course. Chicken vs. egg problem. How do you impose post play against a team with great interior D? You can't. You'll end up with a low FG%, BA, and TO's.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

            Comment


            • #21
              Puffer wrote: View Post
              12-4 when JV gets 10 or more FGA. Not a perfect correlation.
              Not suggesting there is a perfect correlation

              I think stooley here is on the right track

              stooley wrote: View Post
              I see what you're saying, the stat definitely begs the question of whether there is any causation.

              I think it may be more along the lines of:

              JV sits more when he's playing poorly.
              JV doesn't get as many FGA when he's playing poorly.
              >>> Raptors win when JV plays well?
              When JV plays well, he usually has a good night on both ends of the floor. Defense + Efficient Offense in the paint is a pretty good combo

              Comment


              • #22
                At no point did I suggest causation. In fact, I did the opposite by noting that his statistical performance is not directly dependent upon play time, thus negating any causual link between JVs good performances and teams.
                Regardless, the better argument would be that when JV struggles, he plays less. When JV plays less, our front court depth is exposed, and we tend to lose more. However, it is our lack of depth that contributes to the loss, not necessarily JVs poor performance. If JV were LeBron, andthis was the Cavs in his early years, you could maybe start to make these kinds of causal assumptions. But that's not the case here. JVs not that integral to our performance as an individual (yet), as our wins our usually predicated upon strong team play.
                Last edited by Abused Raptors Fan; Tue Feb 11, 2014, 06:56 PM.
                Being a Toronto Raptors fan is like being in an abusive relationship... Every time you've reached your breaking point after years of disappointment and neglect, they do just enough to give you hope for the future... Only to let you down again.

                Here's hoping 2014-2015 breaks the cycle!!! #WeTheNorth

                Comment


                • #23
                  Quirk wrote: View Post
                  Then how do you explain the fact that the average shoe size of the prison population is significantly larger than the general population?

                  I suppose you could claim that two unrelated things overlap here, like for instance that more inmates are male and men have larger feet, on average, if you wanted to ignore the OBVIOUS FACT THAT PEOPLE WITH BIG FEET ARE CRIMINALS!!!!
                  Just throwing it out there I take a 15.





                  *don't f*ck with me - heads up*

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X