X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Quirk wrote: View Post
    Then how do you explain the fact that the average shoe size of the prison population is significantly larger than the general population?

I suppose you could claim that two unrelated things overlap here, like for instance that more inmates are male and men have larger feet, on average, if you wanted to ignore the OBVIOUS FACT THAT PEOPLE WITH BIG FEET ARE CRIMINALS!!!!
    Just throwing it out there I take a 15.

*don't f*ck with me - heads up*

Leave a comment:

• Abused Raptors Fan
    replied
    At no point did I suggest causation. In fact, I did the opposite by noting that his statistical performance is not directly dependent upon play time, thus negating any causual link between JVs good performances and teams.
    Regardless, the better argument would be that when JV struggles, he plays less. When JV plays less, our front court depth is exposed, and we tend to lose more. However, it is our lack of depth that contributes to the loss, not necessarily JVs poor performance. If JV were LeBron, andthis was the Cavs in his early years, you could maybe start to make these kinds of causal assumptions. But that's not the case here. JVs not that integral to our performance as an individual (yet), as our wins our usually predicated upon strong team play.
    Last edited by Abused Raptors Fan; Tue Feb 11, 2014, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    12-4 when JV gets 10 or more FGA. Not a perfect correlation.
    Not suggesting there is a perfect correlation

I think stooley here is on the right track

stooley wrote: View Post
    I see what you're saying, the stat definitely begs the question of whether there is any causation.

I think it may be more along the lines of:

JV sits more when he's playing poorly.
    JV doesn't get as many FGA when he's playing poorly.
    >>> Raptors win when JV plays well?
    When JV plays well, he usually has a good night on both ends of the floor. Defense + Efficient Offense in the paint is a pretty good combo

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Letter N wrote: View Post
    Correlation doesn't equal causation.

JV may get 12 points or more, or 10 FGA attempts or more, in wins because the Raps are more willing to run plays to a low option when the game is out of hand or when the opponent is weak.
    To rephrase it, it's almost impossible to say whether a stat is descriptive or prescriptive. Does JV have an easier time posting up poor teams with weak interior D? Of course. Does he have a hard time posting up against good teams with strong interior D and quick rotations? Of course. Chicken vs. egg problem. How do you impose post play against a team with great interior D? You can't. You'll end up with a low FG%, BA, and TO's.

Leave a comment:

• stooley
    replied
    OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    I get what you're saying where some stats just line up and have no correlation (hence the correlation/causation), but JV taking more shots and us winning more are not unrelated stats....it isn't a be all end all "we will win if JV takes 10+ shots," but there may be some correlation.

ie) The ball goes inside more?
    I see what you're saying, the stat definitely begs the question of whether there is any causation.

I think it may be more along the lines of:

JV sits more when he's playing poorly.
    JV doesn't get as many FGA when he's playing poorly.
    >>> Raptors win when JV plays well?

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    I get what you're saying where some stats just line up and have no correlation (hence the correlation/causation), but JV taking more shots and us winning more are not unrelated stats....it isn't a be all end all "we will win if JV takes 10+ shots," but there may be some correlation.

12-4 when JV gets 10 or more FGA. Not a perfect correlation.

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    iblastoff wrote: View Post
    theres never a 'point' that it does. it totally depends on a ton of variables. its like saying demar derozan has been in the starting lineup for numerous seasons and we've had an overall losing record therefore i guess he needs to go. its just a random stat that just happens to line up with each other.

Leave a comment:

• AF Basket
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    It's a valid point related to Casey's short leash with young players vs. veterans. Veterans are allowed to make the same mistakes over and over, but Casey still sticks with them - Gay and Vasquez come to mind immediately. If JV or Ross make mistakes in the 1st quarter, then they don't always get a chance to redeem themselves later in the game, and definitely not in the fourth quarter.
    Casey is not the coach that we need is we like to get somewhere with this team. Believe me!....

Leave a comment:

• AF Basket
    replied
    I'm agree 100%... JV is a work in progress and this season is revealing the improving areas for him. I really hope we can develop him in the right way.

Also, this team needs another C and another PF too, we have like 5 PGs?, well with the execption of Klow and GV (that means 1.5 PGs) the rest are awful; let's get rid of all of them and get a veteran C to relieve JV and give us some quality D time against more experienced C in the league. I'm pretty happy with 2Pat (come in for Amir)... but we need someone else (taller and with some offense skills) than Chuck'e cheese Hayes to take this team to the next level.

Leave a comment:

• iblastoff
    replied
    But at what point does correlation equal causation. Those splits were pretty one sided....
    theres never a 'point' that it does. it totally depends on a ton of variables. its like saying demar derozan has been in the starting lineup for numerous seasons and we've had an overall losing record therefore i guess he needs to go. its just a random stat that just happens to line up with each other.

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    But at what point does correlation equal causation. Those splits were pretty one sided....

Leave a comment:

• Scraptor
    replied
    Quirk wrote: View Post
    Then how do you explain the fact that the average shoe size of the prison population is significantly larger than the general population?

I suppose you could claim that two unrelated things overlap here, like for instance that more inmates are male and men have larger feet, on average, if you wanted to ignore the OBVIOUS FACT THAT PEOPLE WITH BIG FEET ARE CRIMINALS!!!!
    Ronald McDonald tried to sell me a nickel bag of hash on my sixth birthday. True story.

Earlier in the season I felt we played better with Val but of late he seems to be struggling. Think he probably needs the summer off of competitive ball and more work on lower body strength and conditioning.

Leave a comment:

• Quirk
    replied
    enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• enlightenment
    replied
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Letter N
    replied
    jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
    The raptors have also won 13 of 15 when Jonas has 12 points. Give the man some touches!

JV may get 12 points or more, or 10 FGA attempts or more, in wins because the Raps are more willing to run plays to a low option when the game is out of hand or when the opponent is weak.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X