Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Ross and Derozan co-exist? Can Ross be our primary SF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Al-Farouq Aminu

I've said that a number of times. My apologies to anyone who has read this multiple times now.
    Guy I loved coming out of college (partially due to my MSU love) was Draymond Green. Smart, versatile, team-first guy. Fell to the second round (35th overall) and now has a nice niche role with a legit contender.

Point is, if you draft smart, you can find this type of role player in the 2nd round.

Aminu is a good fit, but he was a high pick and I honestly think you can find similar players at the top of the 2nd round. Since the Raps historically traded away those picks, we don't have much history to go off of.

But a guy like, LaQuinton Ross (Ohio St SF, Junior, 6'7, 220 with 7'1 wingspan) could fill that role in this draft.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Some of the holes in DeMar's game (32% on threes, mediocre man-to-man defense) are offset by T-Ross' strengths (40% on threes, strong defender)

Some of the holes in T-Ross' game (1 FT Attempt per game, 1 Assist per game) are offset by what DeMar is doing right now (4 APG, 7 FT Attempts/game)

This is why they can co-exist.

Also: DeMar turns 25 this August, Ross turns 23 tomorrow... They're young and they're going to get even better.

The future is bright on the wings! We haven't been able to say that since VC was here and in his prime.

Comment

It works just fine, I always felt they complimented each other extremely well offensively. Defensively it's fine the vast majority of the time as well. Hope it doesn't condemn Terrrence to just being a 3 point shooter, as I've felt he's shown real promise passing the ball in the last few games, and he will get better at scoring off the dribble as well.
        Random observation- was kinda surprising that Ross only has a 6'7 wingspan, the guy gets so many more deflections on defense than any other raptor, that's normally a sign of length. He may not be long, but he plays like it :d
        Last edited by BigCamB; Tue Feb 4, 2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
          Guy I loved coming out of college (partially due to my MSU love) was Draymond Green. Smart, versatile, team-first guy. Fell to the second round (35th overall) and now has a nice niche role with a legit contender.

Point is, if you draft smart, you can find this type of role player in the 2nd round.

Aminu is a good fit, but he was a high pick and I honestly think you can find similar players at the top of the 2nd round. Since the Raps historically traded away those picks, we don't have much history to go off of.

But a guy like, LaQuinton Ross (Ohio St SF, Junior, 6'7, 220 with 7'1 wingspan) could fill that role in this draft.
          Great point.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            We already know that DeMar isn't a number one option, so who is the better complimentary player to a number one option if we were to draft, trade or bring one in through free agency?
            You don't know that. I wish posters would stop saying stuff like it's written in stone.

Comment

Michel G wrote: View Post
              You don't know that. I wish posters would stop saying stuff like it's written in stone.
              Everything on the site is opinion and point of view. It's kinda of pointless to write "I think", "IMO", "It appears that" for every single post. If that bothers you, I'm afraid you're just going to have to deal.

It does seem quite apparent though, Demar isn't Kevin Durant/LBJ/CP3 level of star, so we still need a superstar.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Everything on the site is opinion and point of view. It's kinda of pointless to write "I think", "IMO", "It appears that" for every single post. If that bothers you, I'm afraid you're just going to have to deal.

It does seem quite apparent though, Demar isn't Kevin Durant/LBJ/CP3 level of star, so we still need a superstar.
                Actually, it's not that hard to write "I think" or "IMO". Just put a little effort into it.

Getting a Kevin Durant/LBJ/CP3 level player is hard and mostly predicated on luck. Unless we get lucky or MU pulls off a hell of a deal, DeMar is what we got. And what I saw in Portland was pretty impressive. The Portland players were impressed, according to some of their post-game quotes.

In my opinion, Ross and DeRozan can co-exist just fine. Their games are quite complementary.

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
                  I hear a lot of:

trade Derozan for a lottery pick.
                  ross and derozan can't co-exist.
                  move derozan to the bench

The question is:

can derozan and ross both be in the starting lineup on a contender?
                  will trading one make the other better?
                  is derozan stunting ross's growth?
                  do we NEED a meatier SF or can Ross be a fulltime SF?
                  If it ain't broke don't fix it. They can co-exist. The last point about a meatier SF is valid. I can see Ross putting on an extra 30
                  lbs. by next season. Funny because we all want Wiggins as our SF.

Ross - 6'6" - 195 lbs.
                  Wiggins - 6'8" - 200 lbs.

Too close to call. Maybe Wiggins may grow another inch?
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Michel G wrote: View Post
                    Actually, it's not that hard to write "I think" or "IMO". Just put a little effort into it.

Getting a Kevin Durant/LBJ/CP3 level player is hard and mostly predicated on luck. Unless we get lucky or MU pulls off a hell of a deal, DeMar is what we got. And what I saw in Portland was pretty impressive. The Portland players were impressed, according to some of their post-game quotes.

In my opinion, Ross and DeRozan can co-exist just fine. Their games are quite complementary.
                    Sure, it's not hard with 159 posts since 2010. But since it's an opinion forum, it's unnecessary.

I agree 100% that they can compliment each other, but Mediumcore's point was, which player is better suited to play next to a superstar? I'd vote Ross.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                      If it ain't broke don't fix it. They can co-exist. The last point about a meatier SF is valid. I can see Ross putting on an extra 30
                      lbs. by next season.
                      Funny because we all want Wiggins as our SF.

Ross - 6'6" - 195 lbs.

I'd be against that, honestly. I don't want him to add too much weight, it would take away from his quickness.
                      OG is our king

Comment

I don't believe this myself. I don't support the 'you need a superstar' to be a contender argument, although I do understand that just about every championship team has had one. But, there are very few superstars in the league at any point in time. Now, I'm sure we could all argue as to what qualifies as a superstar, but if we are talking about Durant's and LBJ's then obviously most teams in the league are gonna have to do without. So what exactly should these teams be doing in order to build? Tank until they land a superstar or clear and maintain enough cap space to sign one in FA? We are talking about the majority of teams in any given year that would be superstarless, and obviously they can't all tank or have available cap space ready for any superstar that may be available. This is the problem with team building in the NBA IMO. Too many teams are chasing and competing for too few superstars. Most of these teams will fail to get one, and this is the easiest way to stay shitty, mediocre or stay on the treadmill. Some get lucky, or draft wisely, and are able to surround their superstars with the right talent to win and compete for extended periods of time, but this is rare.

More teams need to embrace the idea of building a team without a superstar. They need to be looking at filling out their rosters with all-stars (Demar) or near all-stars (Lowry, maybe JV and Ross someday) and motivated, dedicated, hard working role players (pretty much everyone else on the Raps). Teams need to embrace the idea of developing a culture that's indicative of the style of play the team will have and determines the type of players the team will employ. I don't think very many teams do this. They often are looking for quick fixes (eg. DET), or are unwilling to set the proper environment for developing young players (eg. CLE) , or are just drafting guys based on talent as opposed to team needs or fit or character (I have no example, but I'm sure there are many), or leveraging their assets and picks in order to clear cap space for signing the big name talents (NKY, and many others I'm sure; and didn't the NBA have to implement a policy into the CBA to prevent teams from trading successive 1st rounders because of some boneheaded GM from years ago traded away 3-4 successive 1st rounders for a guy that didn't pan out like they had hoped).

It just goes to show that there are many poorly managed teams out there, and many are making poor decisions in order to provide themselves with the possible opportunity of landing a superstar. Our own Colangelo did this with Rudy Gay. He lacked patience, obviously couldn't see the potential in the roster he had, and made a bad trade for a pseudo-superstar, amongst other similar moves. Rather than set the tone for developing a young roster, he constantly made short-sighted moves that comprised the ability of the team to develop an identity and a winning culture. This is typical in the NBA.

I believe MU will not fall victim to this type of situation. I do not doubt at all that he will make a run at a top tier guy, and maybe even someone of Durant's or LBJ's caliber. But I don't think he will leverage the future to do so. I believe he would be more than satisfied to build a team out of quality players that fit the culture he is developing, players that want to play here, and players that want to play together. Chemistry and fit are huge for MU, and I think are more important than landing a marketable superstar(s). He turned Melo into a bunch of quality players that contributed to winning. He's done the same with Gay and both teams did well in the aftermath of losing their most talented player. Furthermore, just about every player on the Raps right now looks better than they did last year, including the players we have acquired during and since the off-season. These players are all more valuable as assets then they were previously because they are playing well and contributing to a winning team. This is proper team building. Good environment for young players (because it is, despite Casey's short leash with our sophomores); developing a positive and winning culture; acquiring good, hard working and coachable players that fit the system; maintaining some flexibility within the confines of the cap; getting value contracts etc etc; which all lead to most players on the team increasing their value while they are here. It will be difficult in this situation to actually lose a trade. I really believe a contending team can be built this way, I don't believe you need a superstar, you just need the right assortment of players and coaches and the right system. Plus, with a little cap space and some good players that may look better than they are because they are on that type of team, then you will have the assets needed to land a superstar without sacrificing the future.

Anyways, this was in no way directed at you Axel, just used your statement as a jumping off point to offer my opinion on the whole superstar needed situation. There just aren't enough teams trying to assemble a team like the most recent championship Pistons teams, or at least, not enough teams that stick with it. I'd be fine with MU building like that.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          Good post. I agree and disagree.

Obviously there are only a very small number of Durants and LeBrons in the world, but I still think you need to attract a superstar by the following definition; a player who can affect multiple aspects of the game and carry the team for stretches. A versatile player that impacts both offensive (scoring or passing) and defensive (steals, blocks, shut-down, or leadership) as well as other factors (IQ, leadership, rebounding, etc). Not saying that have to do it all, but they have to be a difference maker in more than just one way.

The long time knock on Demar has been that he is a one dimensional scorer. I've said it many of times. This year, he has shown growth in rebounding and passing and his shot selection is better; but he is still very much a one-way player. Lowry has shown he can be that guy right now, but I worry about his sustainability since he is historically out-of-shape, injury prone and malcontent (fear the contract year).

Right now, JV and Ross show the most potential for being two way players. JV can score and rebound well and his defence is improving. He isn't a shot changing rim protector like Tyson Chandler or Serge Ibaka, but he can be a physical rim presence. Ross's D has been quite good and his offence has improved. He is making better decisions with his shot selection and is a strong finisher at the rim. I just don't know if Ross can elevate his game to the level of being the #1 guy on this team.

We need to build a roster that can defend all 5 positions from reasonably well to very well and that has enough versatility to match-up with different opponents. We need to be able to protect both the paint and the perimeter (right now we are 24th in OPP 3P%). We need to be able to score inside and out. Whether JV can be that post scorer or not, remains to be seen.

The great thing about the NBA is that there are constantly new superstars. 5 years ago we didn't have the likes of D Rose, Westbrook, Love, Harden, or Curry headlining NBA arenas, but now we do. There is constantly 'the next big thing' coming; we just need to find someone to be the real face of the franchise and build around them smartly.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                            lbs. by next season. Funny because we all want Wiggins as our SF.

Ross - 6'6" - 195 lbs.

Ross will lose his speed advantage if he gains 30 pounds. I can see another 5-10 pounds of muscle on his frame being beneficial, but after that it will just slow him down.

Standing Height means nothing. Standing REACH however is the stat to look at. I bet Wiggins would have a 6 inch reach advantage over Ross due to his long arms, that's huge.

Also while giving up no speed or jumping ability

Comment

Placeholder until Durant joins us in free agency. r

Comment

Terrence Ross in my humble opinion, has been the best fit alongside DeMar since DeMar joined this team. Terrence's defense, thee-point shooting, and ability to attack the glass has been the parts DeMar has never consistently had. Turkoglu was a close fit, cause he was a terrific play-maker, but didn't do anything else above average. Sonny Weems was another athletic wing-player in a role above his skill sets; same could be said for James Johnson. Than the Landry Fields plan never came to fruition, forcing them to make a deal for a player who was basically another DeMar DeRozan; just without the work ethic, inconsistent effort, absolutely no play-making ability, and selfishness.

Like a poster up top mentioned, what Ross and DeRozan do are off-set by one another's skill set; they really do balance each other out.

I personally love seeing DeMar drive to the hoop and more often than not find a wide open Ross in the corner, for that has happened numerous times this season.

BUT, for Ross to continue to be the guy at the three spot, he MUST get stronger. Despite terrific explosiveness, and defence to make up for some of that, but he's eventually going to get worn out by bigger, stronger 3's in the league.

I absolutely think Ross CAN be the long term option at the small forward. I think the real question is the power forward spot and the uncertainty of this bench moving forward. We're seeing it, internal improvement is underrated, and it's something that has been a major reason for this team's success this season.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X