Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good are we? six 30 point scorers in the last 7 games good

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

Marc Stein pointed something out that is very interesting that I didn't notice: We have had a 30 point scorer in 6 out of the last 7 games played.

With all of this talk about where we are going, and how good we are, we have a pg, sg and sf that can all score 30 in this league, and do it in a variety of ways. How many teams can say that in this league?

I am just wondering whether we all really know what we have here: an under 30 core who has only played together for about a season (or less, depending on the way you look at it).

It's taken me a long time to wrap my head around it, but we have a lot of talent on our team. I really believe that if we can keep this team together for 3 or 4 years in some way, we are looking at an Eastern Conference finalist or champion (there i said it)

let the heckling begin!

8 western conference teams in the top 10 :O oh my
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Winning in Denver for the first time in 10 years then almost winning in Portland (a top 5 team) on the 2nd night of a back to back while only playing 1 half of good basketball really stood out to me. I'm wondering if we're still underestimating our own team, because of how recent their turnaround is and the lack of established star power on the roster. Again and again though, they keep doing things that only really good teams do...

The Chris Bosh teams never won the types of games this team is winning. We have to go back over a decade to find Raptors teams that competed this well with the top teams in the league, on the road as well as at home.

Also just tied a franchise record for wins in January. A franchise record, guys.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
        Winning in Denver for the first time in 10 years then almost winning in Portland (a top 5 team) on the 2nd night of a back to back while only playing 1 half of good basketball really stood out to me. I'm wondering if we're still underestimating our own team, because of how recent their turnaround is and the lack of established star power on the roster. Again and again though, they keep doing things that only really good teams do...

The Chris Bosh teams never won the types of games this team is winning. We have to go back over a decade to find Raptors teams that competed this well with the top teams in the league, on the road as well as at home.

Also just tied a franchise record for wins in January. A franchise record, guys.
        I agree, I'm really starting to believe in this team. What do we have?

1. 2 all-stars (I'm counting Kyle Lowry, cmon)
        2. 2 sophomores - one of which just scored 51 points and is a lockdown defender, the other of whom could develop into one of the league's best big men
        3. average age of 24.6

I mean, this is a team. I don't think any drastic moves are necessary right now. Let's develop our players for another year and a half, and then replace Fields, Novak and Hayes with a contributor.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

As far as I am concerned, this is perhaps the best ball team we have ever had in TO. They have a ways to go before I would say they are contenders, but how good would this team be if Ross was more consistent and developed, if JV were better defensively with a slightly improved low post game and better screens, if our execution were a little better (I think of the Lowry/Patterson error on the game winning Lillard drive in the Portland game), if some of Demar's long 2's were substituted with JV post-ups or Lowry drives or TRoss corner 3's, if Vasquez shot like he did in NO?

I guess the point is that I believe this team can be much better with a little tweaking execution wise. From a skill and talent perspective I don't think we are that far off but I can't see how this team isn't even more impressive with a full season and a playoff series or two under it's belt.

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
            let the heckling begin!

I had too

Rabble rabble rabble

Comment

I am pleasantly surprised with how this team is doing, and their ability to stick with the top teams in the league. However, I'm not ready to celebrate quite yet. Despite the way we've been playing over the last month and a half we are still in a virtual tie with the Hawks (25-21=.543 vs out 26-22=.542) who have been without Horford all of 2014. There's definitely some positives going on but I'd like to see the raps get some separation from the Hawks and own that 3 seed.

Back to the OP, I think it's a pretty meaningless stat. If you need a guy on your team to score 30pts to win, that's a tall order to fill. Also, it's pretty ridiculous to say we've got a PG, SG, AND a SF who can put up 30pts. Our small forward has done it exactly once in his career. Yes I think he'll get more as time goes on but that 51 point game was a fluke, as evidenced by the fact it's the ONLY time in nba history that a player averaging less than 10.0ppg uncorked 50+ points (Also got that from Stein).

I think the raps have a pretty balanced offense team, but I think we need more from JV and Amir if we want to take the Pacers or Heat to 6+ games. It can even be through offensive rebounding but we need more points in the paint. All things equal, I'd rather have Derozan score<30pts and Jonas>10pts than Derozan>30pts and Jonas<10pts.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Never thought I'd see Toronto coming 11th in a Power ranking this season, slotting in behind powerhouses like San Antonio and Golden State, It's certainly been a fun ride so far.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                  Never thought I'd see Toronto coming 11th in a Power ranking this season, slotting in behind powerhouses like San Antonio and Golden State, It's certainly been a fun ride so far.
                  About two weeks ago we were as high as 8th and above the Heat. Hollinger's playoff odds also gave us better odds to win a championship than the Heat for about two weeks as well.

It's all good stuff and above any expectations, but I really hope we get 47+ regular season wins and/or or 6+ playoff wins...
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Oh really? I must admit I used to look at Power Rankings all the time but I haven't really bothered with them this season. As a total league pass geek, I watch so many games I kinda know the hot and cold teams anyway so I don't need to bother with them But yeh, hope they can continue pushing on towards a good win total/seed.

Comment

well the 8th spot dropped fast when we started losing to boston, LA and charlotte

Comment

We are pretty good this year. The bigger question is, if this group all returns, are we better, worse or the same?

To me, the biggest concern is still Lowry. He is playing awesome right now, full credit to him. BUT, contract year for a player that played more than 70 games just 3 times in his first 7 seasons. A guy that has a history of showing up to camp out of shape. A guy with a history of fighting with his coaches. Right now, Lowry is getting his biggest opportunity (career high in MPG) and is making the most of it (career high in FGA, 3P%, APG, PPG) in his contract year.

What will he be like next year when he has his long term deal?
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

i'd rather take wins over individual high scorers. with washington just beating portland by double digits (with them also beating miami and OKC recently), the east is starting to look a bit more competitive. all of a sudden 'how good we are' is starting to look on par with other teams who probably have more upside than our team does.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                            I am pleasantly surprised with how this team is doing, and their ability to stick with the top teams in the league. However, I'm not ready to celebrate quite yet. Despite the way we've been playing over the last month and a half we are still in a virtual tie with the Hawks (25-21=.543 vs out 26-22=.542) who have been without Horford all of 2014. There's definitely some positives going on but I'd like to see the raps get some separation from the Hawks and own that 3 seed.

Back to the OP, I think it's a pretty meaningless stat. If you need a guy on your team to score 30pts to win, that's a tall order to fill. Also, it's pretty ridiculous to say we've got a PG, SG, AND a SF who can put up 30pts. Our small forward has done it exactly once in his career. Yes I think he'll get more as time goes on but that 51 point game was a fluke, as evidenced by the fact it's the ONLY time in nba history that a player averaging less than 10.0ppg uncorked 50+ points (Also got that from Stein).

I think the raps have a pretty balanced offense team, but I think we need more from JV and Amir if we want to take the Pacers or Heat to 6+ games. It can even be through offensive rebounding but we need more points in the paint. All things equal, I'd rather have Derozan score<30pts and Jonas>10pts than Derozan>30pts and Jonas<10pts.
                            Not a lot of people realize this, but the hawks have had one of the easiest schedules in the league. I think that we've weathered the storm and they're still due for a mini slump when the schedule gets tougher. That's all well need to separate ourselves.

Also I just need to say that you don't fluke your way to scoring 51 in a game. A lot of guys can score 25+ based on hot shooting, but you need to have a lot of offensive talent to score 50+ in a game. Rare? Definitely. But not a fluke.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                              i'd rather take wins over individual high scorers. with washington just beating portland by double digits (with them also beating miami and OKC recently), the east is starting to look a bit more competitive. all of a sudden 'how good we are' is starting to look on par with other teams who probably have more upside than our team does.
                              That's what this thread is about. I don't think that a lot of teams in the easy have a lot more upside than us provided we keep this team together. Washington is probably the only team that compares

Comment

Working...
                              X