Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Take the BPA?

And anyone who is hoping that one year in the top of the lottery is going to automatically field a winner absent significant injuries is delusional.

Building through top end of the lottery is a multi-year endeavour which takes patience and persistence to see it though. Few GMs are willing to do it because losing for a significant stretch is a great way to be out of a job. Those that do take that route need to make the most of their decisions (like Presti) versus make significant gaffs (like Grant).
    Exactly the point many posters are in agreement.

Comment

A bit off topic, but the stories about how a bunch of the top prospects could end up back at school next year isn't anything more than fabricated content to fill the news cycle. I'd be willing to bet that 3 of the 4 from the Parker, Wiggins, Randle, Embiid group all end up in the NBA next year, with all 4 declaring still being very probable. Exum has already declared. Smart will come out this year. It just seems like that narrative is being a little overblown right now.

These kids yield questions about their draft plans when they're in the middle of their college seasons, and they predictably give standard and cliched responses. If they came out and said "Yeah, I'm leaving Kansas for the NBA the first chance I get!", then THAT becomes a big story and they'll be accused of not buying into the team, not being focused on this season, etc.

So they offer up the vanilla answer of "I haven't made any decisions about my future. I love it here at Duke. I'm open to coming back another year." to keep things calm on the PR front. I feel like we hear those types of quotes from the top prospects every single year and yet how many of them actually end up back in school? Not very many.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Take the BPA?

And anyone who is hoping that one year in the top of the lottery is going to automatically field a winner absent significant injuries is delusional.

Building through top end of the lottery is a multi-year endeavour which takes patience and persistence to see it though. Few GMs are willing to do it because losing for a significant stretch is a great way to be out of a job. Those that do take that route need to make the most of their decisions (like Presti) versus make significant gaffs (like Grant).
        If only those other GMs could find an owner that gives 2 shits about the people in the stands, because he's moving the team. Easy to be brave, patient and persistent when given such free rein, but most GMs deal with a different reality.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
          A bit off topic, but the stories about how a bunch of the top prospects could end up back at school next year isn't anything more than fabricated content to fill the news cycle. I'd be willing to bet that 3 of the 4 from the Parker, Wiggins, Randle, Embiid group all end up in the NBA next year, with all 4 declaring still being very probable. Exum has already declared. Smart will come out this year. It just seems like that narrative is being a little overblown right now.

These kids yield questions about their draft plans when they're in the middle of their college seasons, and they predictably give standard and cliched responses. If they came out and said "Yeah, I'm leaving Kansas for the NBA the first chance I get!", then THAT becomes a big story and they'll be accused of not buying into the team, not being focused on this season, etc.

So they offer up the vanilla answer of "I haven't made any decisions about my future. I love it here at Duke. I'm open to coming back another year." to keep things calm on the PR front. I feel like we hear those types of quotes from the top prospects every single year and yet how many of them actually end up back in school? Not very many.
          Agreed. Other than Smart last year, I can't think of any recent TOP prospects returning to school.

Of the guys I could see returning, it's names like Noah Vonleh, and Zach LaVine that make sense. Could return for 1 more year and return as Top 5 picks next year.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

The only one i can really see going back is Parker and that has more to do with the rat king's jedi mind tricks than anything. I do think he'd be better off going back another year but i also think if you're a top 5 pick you declare so whatever.

Interesting reading about Exum essentially threatening to force himself to the Lakers, i wonder if it ended up gaining steam would Wiggins consider doing the same with the Raps?
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              The only one i can really see going back is Parker and that has more to do with the rat king's jedi mind tricks than anything. I do think he'd be better off going back another year but i also think if you're a top 5 pick you declare so whatever.

Interesting reading about Exum essentially threatening to force himself to the Lakers, i wonder if it ended up gaining steam would Wiggins consider doing the same with the Raps?
              I think they ALL could benefit from another year (or two) in college. I have to say I agree with Shawn Marion's comments this week that it should be 2-3 years post HS (ala NFL).

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                I think they ALL could benefit from another year (or two) in college. I have to say I agree with Shawn Marion's comments this week that it should be 2-3 years post HS (ala NFL).
                But, at the same time, players are losing earnings. The way the NCAA is used as a triple A type league in basketball and football is kind of bogus. It really does nothing for the players, but removes the NBA's necessity to develop a farm league, which I think could be somewhat entertaining.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Embiid has said that he doesn't feel like he's ready for the nba yet. Also said his family in cameroon is not in need of money at the moment and could see himself coming back for another year.

Comment

Agreed. Other than Smart last year, I can't think of any recent TOP prospects returning to school.

Of the guys I could see returning, it's names like Noah Vonleh, and Zach LaVine that make sense. Could return for 1 more year and return as Top 5 picks next year.
                    Jabari P. could be a wild card imo because of his religion.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.UvJl9vldVmw

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                      But, at the same time, players are losing earnings. The way the NCAA is used as a triple A type league in basketball and football is kind of bogus. It really does nothing for the players, but removes the NBA's necessity to develop a farm league, which I think could be somewhat entertaining.
                      Oh I fully get why they make the jump. Big $$ vs injury risk. But in terms of quality of basketball for both NCAA and the NBA, I would love to see the age limit raised to be like the NFL. Can you imagine how epic March Madness would be if last year's Freshman had stayed in college?

Nerlens Noel back to Kentucky. Ben McLemore back to Kansas. Bennett back at UNLV. Shabazz Muhammad at UCLA with LaVine.

Go even another year back and you can add Anthony Davis, MKG to Kentucky. Beal at Florida. Drummond at UConn.

One can dream and maybe one day..

Comment

jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
                        Embiid has said that he doesn't feel like he's ready for the nba yet. Also said his family in cameroon is not in need of money at the moment and could see himself coming back for another year.
                        I "liked" Fully's post post because it's so true. It's the same go-around in the media every year, but it's in the best interests of these guys to not speak of their plans at this point.

Having said that, there could be an interesting dynamic this year with Wiggins, Embiid. I remember reading that those two struck up a bond while playing at these various HS All Star friendlies. It didn't surprise me that they both signed at Kansas.

Now, here they are in Kansas, yet despite their 1/2 ranking in many mock drafts, their team isn't doing all that great, while Wiggins has been underwhelming in production, and they both struggle sometimes when opposed by more experienced quality college players. If either one, or both, feel they need more time development before facing the rigors of the NBA, and the team doesn't do so well at March Madness, could they decide together that staying another year and chasing a better chance at a championship, suits them?

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                          The raptors are stuck in mediocrity. Not good enough to get past the 1st or 2nd round. Not terrible enough to draft someone who can take us to the next level needed to win a championship. Having to throw money at free agents like kyle lowry next year, there isn't money left to bring a star. All this homerism from our media and raptors republic feels like giving the retarded kid at school a pat on the head for not screwing up. We didn't sit here twiddling our thumbs since '06 to end up in the same fucking place in 7 years. rinse and repeat. It is further cementing us as the atlanta hawks of this generation and makes me want to throw the fuck up. Masai is the flavor of the month until the fanbase realizes how tough a position he has put himself in.

go.
                          I'm glad you feel that way. You are wrong.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                            Jabari P. could be a wild card imo because of his religion.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.UvJl9vldVmw
                            This is a great example of what I'm talking about though.

"Basketball star chooses Mormon mission over NBA!" is a great headline but when you read the actual article, it's just a lot of speculation wrapped up to try and create a story out of nothing. Hell, the bishop they interview in the story says that Parker would probably do more good for the mormon church by NOT going on a mission and just becoming a young, positive role model in the NBA.

Comment

Oh I fully get why they make the jump. Big $$ vs injury risk. But in terms of quality of basketball for both NCAA and the NBA, I would love to see the age limit raised to be like the NFL. Can you imagine how epic March Madness would be if last year's Freshman had stayed in college?

Nerlens Noel back to Kentucky. Ben McLemore back to Kansas. Bennett back at UNLV. Shabazz Muhammad at UCLA with LaVine.

Go even another year back and you can add Anthony Davis, MKG to Kentucky. Beal at Florida. Drummond at UConn.

One can dream and maybe one day..
                              Good point on March Madness, would be way more fun!

But how bout this idea: I think the more developed these players are, the easier it is to predict their NBA trajectory. So would your idea make tanking even more prevalent? Or would more developed superstars force a team out of the lottery after fewer good picks, making tanking less viable?
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

I'm Australian and have heard him interviewed on TV here a few times and he said he doesn't mind where he goes, he just hopes to go somewhere where he can get a bit of PT. He was asked about his thoughts on the lakers drafting him, as everyone knows they're becoming likely to get a pick very high, and he responded accordingly. I mean why wouldn't he want to play for one of the most famous sports franchises in the world. I think that was blown out of proportion a bit
                                Last edited by BigCamB; Wed Feb 5, 2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X