Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officiating in Kings/Raps Game Feb. 5

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    You can post the video on the forum instead of the link
    you double posted
    And its a bad video anyways.

    1/10 don't try again.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

    Comment


    • #47
      EDIT: Namecalling isn't tolerated. Consider it a warning
      Last edited by Doc; Fri Feb 7, 2014, 01:27 AM. Reason: Warning.

      Comment


      • #48
        Sad things is, every league has problems with refs. It's always been the case but has received heightened awareness with fans because of HDTV; making what was borderline calls into obvious errors.

        For the NBA, I don't think the problem is as serious as say the NFL (where every call can drastically change a drive, therefore the game score).

        Two biggest officiating issues as I see it in today's NBA; 1 - flopping. Too many players are doing it. It's sad when LeBron, Bosh level stars are doing this; especially in big games. Notice the opponents in the below flops; Pacers and Spurs (pretty sure the Spurs game is in the Finals). Adam Silver needs to find a way to stop this. Fines seem irrelevant to these guys. Perhaps suspension? Perhaps a good old fashion tar-and-feathering will fix it.





        2 - Wrong official making the call. There are lots of times when the official with the worst angle on the play makes the call. The ref with the best angle decides it's a non-call, yet someone who can't clearly see over-rules them? WTF? The ref with the best position should take charge, and wave off the foul call. Yes, it will make for some awkward flow at first, but officials will adjust and trust their teammates (refmates?) to make the right call.

        Here's a great example of both problems in a single gif. LeBron fakes the contact to get the call, and the ref who's view is blocked by the players (Violet) makes the call while the ref who has the best angle to see what happened doesn't make the call. In this situation, all it takes is for the refs to take 5 seconds to chat. "Violet, what are you calling?" "Monroe hit LeBron in the head" "No, it was faked. No foul." Or "Violet, what are you calling?" "Monroe pulled him from behind." "Ok, I couldn't see that. Go for it".

        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

        If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

        Comment


        • #49
          Absolutely worst acting ever. You couldn't sell that to a three year old you were reading a bedtime story to.

          Comment


          • #50
            OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
            I like it.



            They have one already.
            That can override on court call?

            Comment


            • #51
              Axel wrote: View Post
              Sad things is, every league has problems with refs. It's always been the case but has received heightened awareness with fans because of HDTV; making what was borderline calls into obvious errors.

              For the NBA, I don't think the problem is as serious as say the NFL (where every call can drastically change a drive, therefore the game score).
              Two biggest officiating issues as I see it in today's NBA; 1 - flopping. Too many players are doing it. It's sad when LeBron, Bosh level stars are doing this; especially in big games. Notice the opponents in the below flops; Pacers and Spurs (pretty sure the Spurs game is in the Finals). Adam Silver needs to find a way to stop this. Fines seem irrelevant to these guys. Perhaps suspension? Perhaps a good old fashion tar-and-feathering will fix it.





              2 - Wrong official making the call. There are lots of times when the official with the worst angle on the play makes the call. The ref with the best angle decides it's a non-call, yet someone who can't clearly see over-rules them? WTF? The ref with the best position should take charge, and wave off the foul call. Yes, it will make for some awkward flow at first, but officials will adjust and trust their teammates (refmates?) to make the right call.

              Here's a great example of both problems in a single gif. LeBron fakes the contact to get the call, and the ref who's view is blocked by the players (Violet) makes the call while the ref who has the best angle to see what happened doesn't make the call. In this situation, all it takes is for the refs to take 5 seconds to chat. "Violet, what are you calling?" "Monroe hit LeBron in the head" "No, it was faked. No foul." Or "Violet, what are you calling?" "Monroe pulled him from behind." "Ok, I couldn't see that. Go for it".

              Violet Palmer is one the worst officials.

              Comment


              • #52
                Axel wrote: View Post
                Two biggest officiating issues as I see it in today's NBA; 1 - flopping. Too many players are doing it. It's sad when LeBron, Bosh level stars are doing this; especially in big games. Notice the opponents in the below flops; Pacers and Spurs (pretty sure the Spurs game is in the Finals). Adam Silver needs to find a way to stop this. Fines seem irrelevant to these guys. Perhaps suspension? Perhaps a good old fashion tar-and-feathering will fix it.



                My buddy who is an avid hockey fan said the best way for fix the flopping issue in NBA is to have the player sit for 1-2min while a "power play" type situation happens and it's 5 on 4. I don't know how that would fly in the NBA but it sounds like it could make a dent in this problem. Fining doesn't help, players are millionaires and don't feel it enough. They don't give a rat's ass about reputation. Suspension sort of helps, but not really. I think having an in-game penalty that affects the entire team and possibly the outcome of the game is what's needed. You hear players like Lebron and other superstars saying they're doing what has to he done in order to win. So if winning is more important than player integrity and money then make the penalty count. Otherwise they're laughing....like "ha, I got fined 5K for flopping." To compare to our salary that would be like deciding to not go out for one weekend.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Yogi wrote: View Post
                  My buddy who is an avid hockey fan said the best way for fix the flopping issue in NBA is to have the player sit for 1-2min while a "power play" type situation happens and it's 5 on 4. I don't know how that would fly in the NBA but it sounds like it could make a dent in this problem. Fining doesn't help, players are millionaires and don't feel it enough. They don't give a rat's ass about reputation. Suspension sort of helps, but not really. I think having an in-game penalty that affects the entire team and possibly the outcome of the game is what's needed. You hear players like Lebron and other superstars saying they're doing what has to he done in order to win. So if winning is more important than player integrity and money then make the penalty count. Otherwise they're laughing....like "ha, I got fined 5K for flopping." To compare to our salary that would be like deciding to not go out for one weekend.
                  The powerplay is a terrible idea but I get the motive. I agree, there has to be some form of in game ramification. Perhaps a league official can call into the game and suspend the player for the remainder of the game (or even the next game) if the video evidence is 100% clear it was a flop.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                  If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    A 2 shot tech and loss of possession should be enough. But the onus is still on the ref to call the flop and not the perceived foul on the other player. That's the real problem.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Problem with flops are that they get recognized after the game is over. Ideal fine should be a 1 game suspension (with pay). With pay because its a minor penalty. The suspension hurts the team though and a player will think twice before doing it again (especially in the playoffs).

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Problem with flops are that they get recognized after the game is over. Ideal fine should be a 1 game suspension (with pay). With pay because its a minor penalty. The suspension hurts the team though and a player will think twice before doing it again (especially in the playoffs).
                        Yeah, playoffs is when it really matters. As annoying as it is to see James flop vs a sub-.500 Pistons team, it is irrelevant to the big picture.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                        If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Problem with flops are that they get recognized after the game is over. Ideal fine should be a 1 game suspension (with pay). With pay because its a minor penalty. The suspension hurts the team though and a player will think twice before doing it again (especially in the playoffs).
                          Somehow the team has to pay for an individual player's flop.

                          The incentive right now is for players to get whistles to help the team win. A personal sacrifice of a tiny portion of their paycheck doesn't really make up for that.
                          I don't mind the 1 game suspension, but that almost seems too severe.
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

                          -Superjudge, 7/23

                          Hope you're wrong.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            stooley wrote: View Post
                            Somehow the team has to pay for an individual player's flop.

                            The incentive right now is for players to get whistles to help the team win. A personal sacrifice of a tiny portion of their paycheck doesn't really make up for that.
                            I don't mind the 1 game suspension, but that almost seems too severe.
                            If it is caught in the game (and usually they aren't because usually they require video review) then I think 2 technical free throws and the ball back is a better penalty.. but if it is caught outside the game I think the suspension fits. Not really sure what else they could do.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              planetmars wrote: View Post
                              If it is caught in the game (and usually they aren't because usually they require video review) then I think 2 technical free throws and the ball back is a better penalty.. but if it is caught outside the game I think the suspension fits. Not really sure what else they could do.
                              I really do like the idea of the technicals/ball back, but it's so hard to catch in game.
                              Maybe just the risk of being caught would cut back on the flops.

                              The weird thing about basketball too though, is that the rules almost encourage flopping. To draw a charge, you can't move your feet back, you have to just fall. This creates such a thin line that's almost impossible to see during a game.
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

                              -Superjudge, 7/23

                              Hope you're wrong.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Problem with flops are that they get recognized after the game is over. Ideal fine should be a 1 game suspension (with pay). With pay because its a minor penalty. The suspension hurts the team though and a player will think twice before doing it again (especially in the playoffs).
                                Bold: yes, but really, refs should be able to recognize this in-game, just like they recognize a blocking or charge foul. You can't give guys fouls for those infractions after the game, why should it be different for flops? A foul is a foul and should be dealt with in-game. Ref sees a flop, blow the whistle, give a tech, allow the other team two free throws and possession of the ball. This would cut down on flops, but the refs still have to blow the whistle at the time. The problem is that stars are given leniency for these types of calls, which is stupid but another discussion.

                                When you give out penalties to teams/players for infractions during a previous game, it benefits the team that will be played next, not the team played against when the infraction occurred, which should be the team that benefits from the penalty. That is why I disagree with a suspension. Think about it. Lebron flops against the Pistons, who actually get called for the foul, a reffing mistake. So the league addresses this by penalizing LBJ for the next game, which benefits only the team that Miami is playing next, while DET gets nothing out of it. Meanwhile, the poor reffing isn't being addressed at all. Flops have to called in-game, or, if they are determined after the game, then really a fine is the only fair penalty, because the next opponent shouldn't benefit from a penalty given for a flop from a previous game.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X