Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officiating in Kings/Raps Game Feb. 5

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • stooley
    replied
    Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Anyone catch it? I only caught some. It was fascinating. Yeah, you have to take it with a grain of salt but some facts ate facts. He said the league likes playoff series to be drawn out (more $). In game sixes reffed by dick bavetta, 50% went on to game seven. In game sixes not reffed by him it's more like 24% that go on to 7. Weird stuff like that.
    how many game 6s has he reffed?

    Leave a comment:


  • Jclaw
    replied
    Donaghy on 1050 this morning

    Anyone catch it? I only caught some. It was fascinating. Yeah, you have to take it with a grain of salt but some facts ate facts. He said the league likes playoff series to be drawn out (more $). In game sixes reffed by dick bavetta, 50% went on to game seven. In game sixes not reffed by him it's more like 24% that go on to 7. Weird stuff like that.

    Leave a comment:


  • Puffer
    replied
    Nice breakdown of the call on BBallBreakdown. At about the 7:25 mark.

    Leave a comment:


  • jacobdr4
    replied
    Jvg and steve javie sticking up for kyle lowry and saying it was the wrong call. In the lakers chicago game they both just said can't see how you call that in that situation. Very minimal contact.

    Leave a comment:


  • AlienOverlord
    replied
    enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Then get a 4th Ref watching all the angles from another room who can overturn whistles as inadvertent/reverse calls/tell them when they need to review. Id rather the NBA be more based on REALITY than a smoother game.
    I agree with this. I might modify it in this way however: allow coaches to challenge three calls per half. When a player feels a wrong call was made then he can immediately let his coach know and the coach can challenge, up to three per half. The players will be more careful about displaying disbelief because it might result in a wasted challenge from coach. Other than the coach making a challenge, the refs can call a tech for any talk back. As much as the Sac commentators sucked, they had a point that it was better when players couldn't say a word to the refs without picking up a tech.

    There have been a few games where it seemed like the refs were making it impossible to Toronto to win and I felt like if it were me I'd take my team off the court. That might be a bit much but in the Sac game I would have had them just stand in front of the bench (on court) and wait for time to expire.
    Last edited by AlienOverlord; Sat Feb 8, 2014, 03:47 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 3inthekeon
    replied
    Letter N wrote: View Post
    The spread wasn't -7, it was -1 Sac.

    Tim Donaghy is the new Donald Trump.

    Also if refs are skewing the game they don't skew it so the favourite wins, that makes no sense. You either affect the over/under or if you're getting paid off by anyone that matters it's to make the underdog cover but not win.
    Thanks. I guess Donaghy needs glasses if he can't tell the difference between a 1 and a 7. There's a ref joke somewhere in there.

    Leave a comment:


  • Letter N
    replied
    The spread wasn't -7, it was -1 Sac.

    Tim Donaghy is the new Donald Trump.

    Also if refs are skewing the game they don't skew it so the favourite wins, that makes no sense. You either affect the over/under or if you're getting paid off by anyone that matters it's to make the underdog cover but not win.

    Leave a comment:


  • 3inthekeon
    replied
    Re: the Kings game the other night. How did the spread get to 7.5 points? The spread I saw earlier in the day was 1.5. The spread in tonight's game against a much better team is 6. Very odd.

    Leave a comment:


  • Superjudge
    replied
    Tim Knows

    Love me some tim.

    Leave a comment:


  • fresh122
    replied
    https://twitter.com/TimDonaghy2/stat...30562189131776

    Leave a comment:


  • CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Pog Ma Thon wrote: View Post
    I have always equated it to an unsportsmanlike penalty. If a ref can determine that a foul is a flagrant 1 or 2, they should be able to call a flop. As they do with flagrant calls, the refs can confer with each other before making the call. If the league wants to review games and find flops afterwards, then they can levy fines. But it should be an in game penalty and treated as a technical. If they can call a delay of game penalty, why are they letting this go?
    Nice first post and welcome to the Republic!

    Leave a comment:


  • Pog Ma Thon
    replied
    I have always equated it to an unsportsmanlike penalty. If a ref can determine that a foul is a flagrant 1 or 2, they should be able to call a flop. As they do with flagrant calls, the refs can confer with each other before making the call. If the league wants to review games and find flops afterwards, then they can levy fines. But it should be an in game penalty and treated as a technical. If they can call a delay of game penalty, why are they letting this go?

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    stooley wrote: View Post
    I really do like the idea of the technicals/ball back, but it's so hard to catch in game.
    Maybe just the risk of being caught would cut back on the flops.

    The weird thing about basketball too though, is that the rules almost encourage flopping. To draw a charge, you can't move your feet back, you have to just fall. This creates such a thin line that's almost impossible to see during a game.
    Sometimes, not so much....

    Leave a comment:


  • JawsGT
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Problem with flops are that they get recognized after the game is over. Ideal fine should be a 1 game suspension (with pay). With pay because its a minor penalty. The suspension hurts the team though and a player will think twice before doing it again (especially in the playoffs).
    Bold: yes, but really, refs should be able to recognize this in-game, just like they recognize a blocking or charge foul. You can't give guys fouls for those infractions after the game, why should it be different for flops? A foul is a foul and should be dealt with in-game. Ref sees a flop, blow the whistle, give a tech, allow the other team two free throws and possession of the ball. This would cut down on flops, but the refs still have to blow the whistle at the time. The problem is that stars are given leniency for these types of calls, which is stupid but another discussion.

    When you give out penalties to teams/players for infractions during a previous game, it benefits the team that will be played next, not the team played against when the infraction occurred, which should be the team that benefits from the penalty. That is why I disagree with a suspension. Think about it. Lebron flops against the Pistons, who actually get called for the foul, a reffing mistake. So the league addresses this by penalizing LBJ for the next game, which benefits only the team that Miami is playing next, while DET gets nothing out of it. Meanwhile, the poor reffing isn't being addressed at all. Flops have to called in-game, or, if they are determined after the game, then really a fine is the only fair penalty, because the next opponent shouldn't benefit from a penalty given for a flop from a previous game.

    Leave a comment:


  • stooley
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    If it is caught in the game (and usually they aren't because usually they require video review) then I think 2 technical free throws and the ball back is a better penalty.. but if it is caught outside the game I think the suspension fits. Not really sure what else they could do.
    I really do like the idea of the technicals/ball back, but it's so hard to catch in game.
    Maybe just the risk of being caught would cut back on the flops.

    The weird thing about basketball too though, is that the rules almost encourage flopping. To draw a charge, you can't move your feet back, you have to just fall. This creates such a thin line that's almost impossible to see during a game.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X