Casey not standing up for his team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey not standing up for his team

So everyone talking about The Foul itself. I was most pissed at Casey.

You know, Mike Brown catching a lot of flak these days, but the one thing I have the most respect for him is that he'll throw himself at these idiot refs and usually end up with the ejection. Yea, it costs your team a couple of free throws, but at that point, its really more about a point of principle, and especially with a team like the raptors that constantly get fucked by the league.

So who is going to stand up for the team? Ujiri?

Pathetic show by Casey in all my honest opinion.

I was kind of disappointed Casey didn't go after the refs too tbh

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet, know you're gonna get a fine and put the refs on blast.

Guessing Casey doesn't want the fine
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

no thanks. what the fuck would be the point of a casey outburst besides extra points for the opposing team and a fine on our end? its not like the players can publicly support that either.

besides, they played like shit. crying about a foul at the end would just make us sound and look even worse.

Comment

Agree with iblastoff. We didn't deserve to be in that game. If we had played hard all night then it's a different story; but the message Casey needs to get across to the players has nothing to do with that call, it has everything to do with how they played the other 3 quarters of ball. If he flips out, he can't shift the teams focus to where it belongs. Casey made the right decision.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
          no thanks. what the fuck would be the point of a casey outburst besides extra points for the opposing team and a fine on our end? its not like the players can publicly support that either.

besides, they played like shit. crying about a foul at the end would just make us sound and look even worse.
          http://nba.si.com/2014/01/17/gregg-p...spurs-blazers/

“We knew once we built a lead, we knew they weren’t going to just go away,” Lillard said. “Especially once Pop got tossed. It looked like he wanted to get tossed because he just kept going off. I knew that would spark something in their team. They got some calls, they made some shots. It was the type of game we expected it to be. It was really intense. The team that backs down, you automatically lose. Neither team did that.”
          “I always have my reasons,” Popovich said of the ejection, opting not to elaborate.
          Sometimes, it's called for. Last night, it was called for.

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
            Pathetic show by Casey in all my honest opinion.
            do u wanna pay DC's $15000 fine, then I'm all in for it. As another post says popovic did it for his reasons but hes been coaching forever. I don't think hes interested. Plus adam silver was at the game so he definitely got the message.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

He should've sent Vasquez to pee on the refs.

Seriously though I was half hoping he and Demar got themselves kicked out too to protest that mockery of an officiating job.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post

I agree. If it was in the 3rd qtr eg. I would say open up with both barrels which would have possibly spiked the team (as in the Popovich case mentioned in Slaw post) to make their comeback earlier. At the end of the game it wouldnt have done any good except vent....which can be done privately by MU with the league offices. We dont even know here if there was a trigger which made the refs fairly unbalanced in their whistle counts for the two teams...which may have been some chirping off the bench because of the early calls on JV (the last one being a bad call I know).

Comment

Casey has shown on many occasions that he's willing to stand up for this team. I remember numerous times last year he called out the refs for bad calls in deciding games (back when the NBA apologised to us numerous times for bad calls) and even this year he was apparently lobbying hard for Lowry/DeRozan to make the all-star game. Just because he didn't voluntarily get ejected doesn't mean he wasn't standing up for his team, he was consistently talking to the refs all game like a good coach should.

Popovich can do that because he knows it will fire up his team, he has veteran leaders on the court already and he's been coaching for 20 years. Doesn't mean Casey should do it though.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    He should've sent Vasquez to pee on the refs.

Seriously though I was half hoping he and Demar got themselves kicked out too to protest that mockery of an officiating job.
                    LOL! Fits well with that other thread.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                      Agree with iblastoff. We didn't deserve to be in that game. If we had played hard all night then it's a different story; but the message Casey needs to get across to the players has nothing to do with that call, it has everything to do with how they played the other 3 quarters of ball. If he flips out, he can't shift the teams focus to where it belongs. Casey made the right decision.
                      so y'all just casually ignore that 4th q comeback and a potential win ... in a game where they were called for 35 fouls, including that one in question here ... in the name of giving these youngin' raps some kind of moral punishment for being 20 down at some points in the game.

gotcha

Comment

so y'all just casually ignore that 4th q comeback and a potential win ... in a game where they were called for 35 fouls, including that one in question here ... in the name of giving these youngin' raps some kind of moral punishment for being 20 down at some points in the game.

gotcha
                        the players ALREADY believe in the coaching system and believe in the coach. thats already been established. i doubt he has to prove himself further by GIVING the opposing team more point opportunities. who gives a shit about the 4th Q comeback that went nowhere. you show up and play poorly for 3 quarters, you should expect to lose.

Comment

gotcha
                          Obviously you've never coached before.

It has nothing to do with punishment. It's everything to do with focus. You can't tell players to ignore the bad call and focus on the other problems when you make a spectacle of the bad call more than the other problems.

Players know their coaches and respond to their emotions. If you create a spectacle at that point (25 seconds left and theoretically a 2nd and/or 3rd tech on top of Lowry's) you aren't able to salvage that game and you make the call more important than the teams lack of effort in the first half. Instead, Casey plays it smart. After the game he can quickly talk about the call being bad, but that it was our own fault for being in that situation. We proved in the 4th quarter that we were the better team, but we need to find a way to bring that effort for all 4 quarters. That's the message that is more important to the season (big picture) as fixing the slow start will win us more games than getting ejected in the last 30 seconds.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            I was kind of disappointed Casey didn't go after the refs too tbh

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet, know you're gonna get a fine and put the refs on blast.

Guessing Casey doesn't want the fine
                            Kinda hard to eat a fine if you don't have a contract for next year. He's no POP.
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I think Casey made the right decision to not explode on the refs because it was too late after that foul for the comeback. If that play was made in the third or early fourth, yes an emotional response to fire up the team and get them back in it is needed, since there is enough time left on the clock.

Comment

Working...
                              X