X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump
    replied
    salmon wrote: View Post
    The "only real catch in this scenario would be that Lowry is a free agent". LOL, is that all?

I don't mind "clearly missing" LA forfeiting a high pick in a supposedly deep (aka overly hyped imo, and the constant shifting of mock draft boards support) draft full of superstars, on Lowry's verbal "okay" to be Kobe's catch-and-shoot side-kick for the next couple of years. Somehow I don't seeing Kyle relishing being Kobe's passive back court sidekick. I don't know why, but just don't.

I noticed you failed to quote, and respond, to my other side of the equation. Allow me to detail a little more:

- every player, every coach, every media person (not that they matter much), and our trusted GM himself speak about the chemistry with this team (read biggest influences of this being DD and KL) being THE biggest reason for their success
    - DD is a 24 year old all star, and quite justified
    - KL should be a quite justified all star
    - these two are as tight as twin brothers, while they're having the best time of their basketball lives leading this team, and if you listen to Ross, are the guys also being looked up to as examples of how to do it
    - 2 days ago, Masai says that he believes chemistry is the hardest thing to find in putting a successful team together, while having already said this team has it in spades.

Play around with senseless trade scenarios chasing draft hype if you wish, but at least recognize that this one ignores the "drive to lead" character Kyle is, his very outward attachment and enjoyment with this team, and goes against the grain of what the GM himself is saying (I trust in the man's integrity, possibly more than anything else).

IMO, unless Kyle were to come out and say he has no interest in staying, which isn't close to what we see from him on the floor and on the bench in every game, I don't see any evidence whatsoever (in fact MU's messages say the opposite) that MU won't do all possible to sign Lowry, not trade him for a fantasy basketball inspired draft pick that the other team wouldn't do. In fact, the way this season is playing out, the people in the seats would be forming a lynch mob if he did anything but sign the man, or take some team to the cleaners, very obviously. Something the Lakers are not exactly known for.

Yup, nothing is "impossible", but expecting one, or both, quality GMs of NBA teams to suddenly be dumb, is like believing in 0.0001% being "possible"
    I ignored it because none of it matters if the Raptors simply aren't willing to foot a big contract he can get somewhere else. Would Masai sign Kyle to 12-14 million a year just to keep chemistry working on a team that's still not a finished product (and thus possibly diminishing his flexibility to finish said product with the roster as it stands)? What if that keeps you from finding even just the role players you need to help round out the roster and maintain the chemistry you have (Raptors won't have that much capspace this year)? Vasquez, Patterson both RFAs, and Salmons unlikely to be brought back at his current salary value for next year....thus 4 of our top 9 guys are in flux, and chemistry could be very difficult to retain even if Lowry is brought back. And who knows what happens with other guys like Hansbrough or Amir? Who could both have good value as trade chips, but are both great pieces "chemistry"-wise. Does Masai also refuse to trade someone like Amir because of chemistry if he can upgrade talent?

I don't think any of what could happen involves either GM being dumb. It would involve both making the most of the opportunities available to them. Again, if LA really wants Lowry, and values him more than say, the 7th pick in this draft, I don't see why they wouldn't at least check with Toronto about the possibility of a S&T, especially *if they want to offer him 5 years, and since if they can unload Nash, they'd be adding very little to their caphit going into next year. And if Toronto has no intention of meeting a super-high price for Lowry (which there have also been rumours about them not being willing to do), I don't see why they wouldn't see what opportunities are there in the S&T market.

*I think you're taking for granted that because Kyle is playing well and so is the team, they will do anything and everything to keep him. Don't think Masai is that type of GM. He's not a fan getting lost in the hype of a great season. Would not be at all surprised if there's a pricetag limit that Masai simply won't meet. And also wouldn't be surprised if he has multiple scenarios revolving around this situation already, from S&Ts, to what his limit will be, to what replacements can fit in, etc....There is more than one possible outcome, and we have no way to know which one is more likely, so it's totally worth discussing possibilities.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Feb 15, 2014, 06:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Many trades are agreed upon before transactions can be formally completed. You know, like the JO trade. That "happened" on draft night and wasn't completed for 2 weeks. The only real catch in this scenario would be that Lowry is a free agent, but they can still have discussions on a sign-and-trade. LA can call Toronto and be like "we want Lowry, this is what we're prepared to pay him, and this is what we'd offer in a sign-and-trade". And Toronto can then take that to Lowry, and if he wants the deal to happen, it can happen. I don't think that violates any rules of any kind.

*It's obviously not an easy situation any way you slice it. But it's not impossible by any means either. The Lakers basically would have to be crazy about Lowry, and want to engage in such a scenario, being the initiators, likely wanting to preempt any other teams who might be interested, and especially if they'd want to offer him a 5-year deal.
    It does not violate anything.

Raps can negotiate an extension until June 30th.
    Lakers can't talk until July 1st.

Leave a comment:

• salmon
    replied
    Many trades are agreed upon before transactions can be formally completed. You know, like the JO trade. That "happened" on draft night and wasn't completed for 2 weeks. The only real catch in this scenario would be that Lowry is a free agent, but they can still have discussions on a sign-and-trade. LA can call Toronto and be like "we want Lowry, this is what we're prepared to pay him, and this is what we'd offer in a sign-and-trade". And Toronto can then take that to Lowry, and if he wants the deal to happen, it can happen. I don't think that violates any rules of any kind.

*It's obviously not an easy situation any way you slice it. But it's not impossible by any means either. The Lakers basically would have to be crazy about Lowry, and want to engage in such a scenario, being the initiators, likely wanting to preempt any other teams who might be interested, and especially if they'd want to offer him a 5-year deal.
    The "only real catch in this scenario would be that Lowry is a free agent". LOL, is that all?

I don't mind "clearly missing" LA forfeiting a high pick in a supposedly deep (aka overly hyped imo, and the constant shifting of mock draft boards support) draft full of superstars, on Lowry's verbal "okay" to be Kobe's catch-and-shoot side-kick for the next couple of years. Somehow I don't seeing Kyle relishing being Kobe's passive back court sidekick. I don't know why, but just don't.

I noticed you failed to quote, and respond, to my other side of the equation. Allow me to detail a little more:

- every player, every coach, every media person (not that they matter much), and our trusted GM himself speak about the chemistry with this team (read biggest influences of this being DD and KL) being THE biggest reason for their success
    - DD is a 24 year old all star, and quite justified
    - KL should be a quite justified all star
    - these two are as tight as twin brothers, while they're having the best time of their basketball lives leading this team, and if you listen to Ross, are the guys also being looked up to as examples of how to do it
    - 2 days ago, Masai says that he believes chemistry is the hardest thing to find in putting a successful team together, while having already said this team has it in spades.

Play around with senseless trade scenarios chasing draft hype if you wish, but at least recognize that this one ignores the "drive to lead" character Kyle is, his very outward attachment and enjoyment with this team, and goes against the grain of what the GM himself is saying (I trust in the man's integrity, possibly more than anything else).

IMO, unless Kyle were to come out and say he has no interest in staying, which isn't close to what we see from him on the floor and on the bench in every game, I don't see any evidence whatsoever (in fact MU's messages say the opposite) that MU won't do all possible to sign Lowry, not trade him for a fantasy basketball inspired draft pick that the other team wouldn't do. In fact, the way this season is playing out, the people in the seats would be forming a lynch mob if he did anything but sign the man, or take some team to the cleaners, very obviously. Something the Lakers are not exactly known for.

Yup, nothing is "impossible", but expecting one, or both, quality GMs of NBA teams to suddenly be dumb, is like believing in 0.0001% being "possible"

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    Don't know what to say about the name confusion, but your argument is draft day trades? So, the Lakers would give up their high pick for a guy who can't be signed until July, and he could walk after never playing a single game for them. Gotcha. Damn, sorry I "clearly missed" that one.

Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Feb 15, 2014, 02:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• salmon
    replied
    Well clearly you haven't been properly reading most of the Lakers' related ideas. They are pretty much all referencing draft day trades. So this is a scenario where the Raps probably don't want to pay Lowry's possibly high pricetag, and want to benefit from his departure. Try again, p00ka.
    Don't know what to say about the name confusion, but your argument is draft day trades? So, the Lakers would give up their high pick for a guy who can't be signed until July, and he could walk after never playing a single game for them. Gotcha. Damn, sorry I "clearly missed" that one, but how does such a thing fit with what I mentioned about MU's very recently stated priority of "chemistry", and what such a trade would do to this team?
    Last edited by salmon; Sat Feb 15, 2014, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    seriously?

Lakers would trade a top 8 lottery pick this year for what could easily be a 2 month rental of Lowry?
    And people mock Knick fans for impossible fantasy trade scenarios, lol.

Some actually think we could trade Kyle, then he'd come back and sign as a FA in the summer? lol

BTW, has anybody read Doug Smith's (I know, bad word here, but he actually talks to these guys) piece, with more to follow on Monday, about his interview with Masai? MU states that the biggest thing he covets in building the team is chemistry, and he's very impressed with the chemistry he's seeing with this team, and can see building upon it.

Let me see:
    - we have 27 year old PG Lowry playing at an all star level, along with 24 yr old DeMar, and by all appearances, they're as tight as two players can be
    - Lowry now has 2 years of working with all the key players on this team: DeMar, Amir, JV, Ross, and is integral to the team's current success, as well as future success with this group
    - anybody see the NBA.com piece on DeMar in the MVP ladder? Ross is quoted: "Our whole locker room is tight like that, we play for each other and it's not about any one player or anything like that, but it's good to see DeMar make it here. It tells you what hard work can do." 1. In all the chatter about shot selections, something that can be altered by a number of factors, how does that example of hard work resonate with the young guys, Ross & JV, and how valuable is it to their progress? This young all star of ours should not be devalued like he too often is, over effing shot selection. 2. What message would it send to DeMar, the young pups, and the rest of the team, if Lowry were shipped out for a draft pick? Seriously
    Well clearly you haven't been properly reading most of the Lakers' related ideas. They are pretty much all referencing draft day trades. So this is a scenario where the Raps probably don't want to pay Lowry's possibly high pricetag, and want to benefit from his departure. Try again, p00ka.

Leave a comment:

• Balls of Steel
    replied
    Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Couldn't the Lakers trade their first rounder and some expiring contracts for say Tyson Chandler? That would be enough to contend with a healthy Kobe and Gasol. They could even throw in Gasol to add Melo to the deal if he indicates he wants out of New York. Not saying its a good idea to pair up Kobe and Melo, but just think their first rounder can help them contend next season if used to bring in the right pieces around Kobe.
    I disagree in the sense that the young Kobe has always carried the ball. Old Kobe can't do that anymore and Lowry being a shoot-first guard is perfect for the role, moreso than Chandler can on defence. I'm happy with Lowry if he resigns but if he chooses to be elsewhere, this is still the best way to maximize returns on him. Just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• Mediumcore
    replied
    Couldn't the Lakers trade their first rounder and some expiring contracts for say Tyson Chandler? That would be enough to contend with a healthy Kobe and Gasol. They could even throw in Gasol to add Melo to the deal if he indicates he wants out of New York. Not saying its a good idea to pair up Kobe and Melo, but just think their first rounder can help them contend next season if used to bring in the right pieces around Kobe.

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    ceez wrote: View Post
    Cause their window isn't open long enough to wait for an Exum or whomever to develop.
    I really don't agree with this. The Lakers do not have alot of players on the books next season, and if they want the opportunity to compete for Love, James, Westbrook, Durant etc etc, then they have to maintain financial flexibility. So, I expect them to comb the FA market and pick up guys on cheaper, shorter contracts (preferably 1 year) and have alot of guys expiring at the end of the season just like they did this year. If they do this, contention is out of the question next year, and a good 2014 draft pick can fit in nicely. Give the guy a year next to Kobe, then they go get Love and another piece or two, and maybe, just maybe, they can contend in the picks sophomore year and possibly Kobe's last. Also, when Kobe retires, that player from the 2014 draft is still there to help keep the team afloat with whoever else they pick up, and they can keep rolling along.

I just don't see how they could possibly contend next season. To go from top 10 lottery team to contender would be quite the feat, even for the Lakers. Plus, they could probably get much better than Lowry out of that pick, but we'll see. It is the Lakers and they might just try anything.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    And if your rebuttal is "lol the lakers would never do that" just take a look at their history. Go on. Do it.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Question: Why would the Lakers want Lowry when they basically have Exum at their fingertips? I can't comprehend.
    Cause their window isn't open long enough to wait for an Exum or whomever to develop.

Leave a comment:

• salmon
    replied
    seriously?

Lakers would trade a top 8 lottery pick this year for what could easily be a 2 month rental of Lowry? And people mock Knick fans for impossible fantasy trade scenarios, lol.

Some actually think we could trade Kyle, then he'd come back and sign as a FA in the summer? lol

BTW, has anybody read Doug Smith's (I know, bad word here, but he actually talks to these guys) piece, with more to follow on Monday, about his interview with Masai? MU states that the biggest thing he covets in building the team is chemistry, and he's very impressed with the chemistry he's seeing with this team, and can see building upon it.

Let me see:
    - we have 27 year old PG Lowry playing at an all star level, along with 24 yr old DeMar, and by all appearances, they're as tight as two players can be
    - Lowry now has 2 years of working with all the key players on this team: DeMar, Amir, JV, Ross, and is integral to the team's current success, as well as future success with this group
    - anybody see the NBA.com piece on DeMar in the MVP ladder? Ross is quoted: "Our whole locker room is tight like that, we play for each other and it's not about any one player or anything like that, but it's good to see DeMar make it here. It tells you what hard work can do." 1. In all the chatter about shot selections, something that can be altered by a number of factors, how does that example of hard work resonate with the young guys, Ross & JV, and how valuable is it to their progress? This young all star of ours should not be devalued like he too often is, over effing shot selection. 2. What message would it send to DeMar, the young pups, and the rest of the team, if Lowry were shipped out for a draft pick? Seriously

Leave a comment:

• MACK11
    replied
    Frankly I don't think anyone can be sure Exum is ready to contribute right away. I'm sure most high picks feel they're ready, but it's up to management to really determine that. Scouts also always see promise more than anything else. So again, management has to really be sold on a guy as ready to contribute.

If LA ends up top 3, I can't see them trading their pick, and I see them taking one of Embiid, Wiggins or Parker. The first 2 would be projects, but guys they know could big difference makers, possibly franchise horses for the future. Parker may be, but he's also easily up there with Randle as the 2 guys most obviously ready for the transition. He'd fit beside Kobe, and he'd fit beside Love (just like Embiid and Wiggins though they may not produce as much right away).

After that?
    -I have a hard time seeing them being drooling over Randle when everyone knows they have an easy shot at Love pretty soon. They could take him, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't that interested.
    -Exum is often the next highly-touted talent. I definitely see the intrigue, but he may be the biggest project in the top 5 (may be....also could be Embiid or Wiggins). He's got very limited experience against top competition in even his own age bracket. He has positional uncertainty...I mean, what if he's unable to play PG in the NBA, perhaps being just a bit too slow or just not fitting there? Then you draft someone who ends up a SG (with combo-guard skills) and is stuck behind Kobe, because we know Kobe's not giving up his starting spot.
    -And then will they want less obvious talents like Smart, Gordon, Vonleh, Ennis, etc....? Guys who may not be franchise players and who may need development time? Rather than trade the pick for an in-his-prime two-way PG who won't handicap their ability to pursue Love or other future free agents?
    ^^ exactly L.A is more likely to trade their pick if its not like top5

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    I agree re: always being in win-now mode, but I think this is a special case. Exum has really only expressed interest in the team because he'll be able to contribute right from the get-go, kind of like what's happening with MCW in Philly. I think LA is salivating at the idea of an expedited development.
    Frankly I don't think anyone can be sure Exum is ready to contribute right away. I'm sure most high picks feel they're ready, but it's up to management to really determine that. Scouts also always see promise more than anything else. So again, management has to really be sold on a guy as ready to contribute.

If LA ends up top 3, I can't see them trading their pick, and I see them taking one of Embiid, Wiggins or Parker. The first 2 would be projects, but guys they know could big difference makers, possibly franchise horses for the future. Parker may be, but he's also easily up there with Randle as the 2 guys most obviously ready for the transition. He'd fit beside Kobe, and he'd fit beside Love (just like Embiid and Wiggins though they may not produce as much right away).

After that?
    -I have a hard time seeing them being drooling over Randle when everyone knows they have an easy shot at Love pretty soon. They could take him, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't that interested.
    -Exum is often the next highly-touted talent. I definitely see the intrigue, but he may be the biggest project in the top 5 (may be....also could be Embiid or Wiggins). He's got very limited experience against top competition in even his own age bracket. He has positional uncertainty...I mean, what if he's unable to play PG in the NBA, perhaps being just a bit too slow or just not fitting there? Then you draft someone who ends up a SG (with combo-guard skills) and is stuck behind Kobe, because we know Kobe's not giving up his starting spot.
    -And then will they want less obvious talents like Smart, Gordon, Vonleh, Ennis, etc....? Guys who may not be franchise players and who may need development time? Rather than trade the pick for an in-his-prime two-way PG who won't handicap their ability to pursue Love or other future free agents?

Leave a comment:

• stooley
    replied
    They are currently 4th in the tank standings. Only Bucks, Sixers, Magic ahead of them.

Just an eye test but perusing their remaining games, it seems like they have a relatively tough schedule from here on out. Not to mention they've lost to some pretty bad teams over the past month or so.
    Absolutely. I'm just shooting the shit. There's no trade to be made if they can pick that high.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X