• Show
Clear All

• phez wrote: View Post
    small ball
    ...with veterans!

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
      ...with veterans!
      JV and Ross sitting the whole second halve! Hayes and Salmons playing 40 min a game
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
        JV and Ross sitting the whole second halve! Hayes and Salmons playing 40 min a game
        THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

Comment

• Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
          In a show recently (before the Gay trade), Masai Ujiri said that Casey is being evaluated not on the basis of wins/losses but on the basis of player development. We have seen players (Lowry, Derozan, PP, JV, Ross) develop only I wouldn't attribute it to Coaching. This is an unfortunate situation because it may result in the Coach being re signed. A 1 year extension is impossible but considering that there isn't going to be a long line for Casey's services (if available), 2 years plus team option for 3rd is not impossible.
          Any development of JV is despite DC not because of him.

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
            It will only get worse as the games get bigger.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
              Any development of JV is despite DC not because of him.
              That's far from fact...

We really can't say.
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                Casey isn't MU's guy. Not saying Casey couldn't grow into it but MU is ultimately responsible for this team. My biggest question is, can Casey grow into a championship head coach. I'm not sure he can but I don't know all that much anyway.

I heard Phil Jackson loves Toronto.
                Casey has known Ujiri since Ujiri was an unpaid scout - if Ujiri didn't like him, Casey wouldn't be here now.
                You can't know if a coach can be a championship coach until he has a roster that can compete for a championship - coaches with potential championship rosters are not looking for jobs.

And stop looking at old retired guys with plastic joints, prostate cancer, & a general inability to work 80 hour weeks as the next head coach - time to move along......
                The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

• DC due for coach of the year!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-conversation/

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                    Hmmm, this is the 1st I'm hearing of this. I'm not saying Casey shouldn't be in the conversation. I'm just saying Eric Smith's always come across as a bit of a homer.

Comment

• Sorry but the award goes to Jeff Hornacek, who has left almost every other coach in the dust with what he has done with the Suns this season

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                        Sorry but the award goes to Jeff Hornacek, who has left almost every other coach in the dust with what he has done with the Suns this season
                        I think the Suns have to make the playoffs in order for him to get the award. If they don't, then Portland's coach probably gets the nod IMO.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                          Sorry but the award goes to Jeff Hornacek, who has left almost every other coach in the dust with what he has done with the Suns this season
                          Not to take anything away from what Hornacek did but the Raptors are only .5 games back from the Suns and are 3rd in the conference.. big difference compared to a team that is 9th place.

The Suns are in a harder conference but if you look at their win/loss record most of those wins came against the worst teams in the Western conference (Utah/LAL/Denver/Sacramento/NO). They did beat some really good teams (LAC/Houston/Portland/Indiana) but the Raptors have beaten some good teams as well.

The Suns were a tanking team on paper at the start of the year but so were the Raptors.

I am not the biggest Casey fan but I think it should be neck and neck between the two. I think Thibs should get it though.

Personally though if I was a coach I would not want that trophy.. it usually ends up as a death sentence. Most COY winners are fired a year or two later.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Most COY winners are fired a year or two later.
                            Heck, even non COY winners have a 3 year window at best, lol

Comment

• The thing about Casey is that he's a motivational coach and motivational coaches can only get you so far, X & Os are the name of the game in the playoffs, matchup/momentum based substitutions. He's been much better this year, but there are still glaring weaknesses in substitution patterns, out of timeout plays, in-game adjustments, and end game plays (most not his fault since execution was poor on the part of the players - DeRozan/Ross/Lowry at times). Being able to get the most out of your players effort wise and maximizing players' talents are two different things, and I don't think he has a firm grasp on the latter nor do I think he's creative enough offensively to ever be that.

Watching our lack of adjustments versus Brooklyn has me concerned, we tried the same hand off high post play with Amir/DeRozan at the left elbow over and over again despite the fact they were denying DeRozan the ball by fronting him on the cut and getting aggressive on Amir's hand off-forcing him to pass it back out. We made no effort to post up the much skinnier Livingston, instead, we opted to let DeRozan try and attack the lengthier Livingston off the dribble. We were consistently forced to pass it out to the top of the key to Lowry and reset the play, Lowry/Hansbrough are the main reason we stayed in that game, it would've been a blow out. Patterson is obviously a huge x-factor here due to his ability to bring out the other team's forward using his stretch shooting, but in a small ball matchup (Pierce at PF), I'm no longer sure how much of an advantage that is if he has to cover an SF-playing-PF defensively - Pierce would absolutely molest Patterson/Amir in a 7 game series and that's not a knock on Patterson/Amir, and on offense Pat would have to post up much more frequently to take advantage of the matchup.

I look forward to seeing us in a playoff matchup nonetheless, but Casey could be completely exposed. It's a little bit scary if he wins coach of the year before the playoffs and we absolutely fail in the first round, and we're in a re-sign or let-go situation because it could be a repeat of the Sam Mitchell debacle (though I doubt Masai follows BC's footsteps). I'm cautiously treading here.. we'll see what happens come playoff time, and I would love to find out how much influence Nick Nurse has had this year.
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                                ESPN agrees

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ing-coach-year

Comment

Working...
                                X