Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotshot
    replied
    Of course its a dose of reality, this is like the 2006 season all over again with some of the Raptors "homer" fans dancing for joy of getting to play the New Jersey nets because they thought they were good enough to beat Vince Carter and his gang. Right now its the same thing with some Raptor fans thinking that they can for sure beat certain playoff match ups, which is again overconfident mistake of this team and its true ability.

The reality is that any team headed into the playoffs that will be facing the Raptors has a very good chance of beating the Raptors because there really won't be a big advantage out there between the sixth seed and the third seed.

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    Understandably, poor past showings have not earned Toronto much respect. This team however is legitimate and will certainly pose difficulty in the play offs. In fact I'd go as far as saying that this team is the best of all Toronto teams ever (not talent wise but Chemistry wise), including the VC led team that went to the Eastern Conference finals. No guarantees but I will not be surprised if they knock out some good teams and go deep in the play offs.
    They lost in the 2nd round. Anyway, I think the VC one was better, but hopefully you are right. Different times, though. IMO, Indiana and Miami are both much better than any East teams in that 99-03 period in between Jordan and Pistons.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Akshinthala
    replied
    Understandably, poor past showings have not earned Toronto much respect. This team however is legitimate and will certainly pose difficulty in the play offs. In fact I'd go as far as saying that this team is the best of all Toronto teams ever (not talent wise but Chemistry wise), including the VC led team that went to the Eastern Conference finals. No guarantees but I will not be surprised if they knock out some good teams and go deep in the play offs.

Leave a comment:

• jrdyck
    replied
    At any rate, they'd be the worst 3rd seed since the 06-07 team... lol.

Leave a comment:

• YoungGunRaptor
    replied
    Yeah, Thibs knows how to bring out the best in his players. He has made guys like Butler, Noah, and Gibson into star calibre players.

Even then, we split this season's matchup with Chicago (2-2), but given our schedule, I think that the Raptors should be able to hold onto the 3rd seed. Chicago isn't going anywhere now, though. They are playing incredibly well, and I think that Jimmer is going to have a much better season with the Bulls and really emerge as the quality player he was expected to be when he came out of byu.

Leave a comment:

• GLF
    replied
    mountio wrote: View Post
    It was said in an earlier comment, but the difference between us and Chicago is very simple. They have a WAY WAY WAY better coach than us. So, injuries happen, new guys get plugged in and they keep on going. Thibs is flat out awesome. Noah as a leader doesnt hurt either .. but Thibs is in a total other league vs Casey
    This is true. Thibs is just crazy good. Because they definitely don't have more talent than us at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    GLF wrote: View Post
    Completely forgot about that lol. But it's sad because their guys are stepping up while our guys only play like one or two good quarters and expect to win consistently. Thibs is definitely a huge part of their success but I just think we shouldn't be letting Chicago outplay us. They just seem hungrier right now. You can tell from the game we played them. They came out to win. We look like we think we can just ease our way into wins and ease our way into the playoffs. This is the time we have to be playing our best ball. That's one of the reasons why I'm not keen on us playing crappy teams to end off the season. It will just cause us to get into bad habits since we love to play down to our opponents. We'll most likely still win but it's not the kind of habits you want to be getting into going to the playoffs. I'll cut us some slack though mainly because we have two second year players starting and one of them is playing like shit right now. Most of those other teams don't have that.
    That's where experience shows. Chicago is a team full of vets. They've been there, done that. This team is way too young and inconsistent. There haven't been a game where everyone played great. There's always someone who had bad shooting night or wasn't focused. Zero playoff experience. This is why it's important. Also we have 2 sophs that are too green LOL.

Leave a comment:

• 2KJ
    replied
    Chicago just has that system. I would say it's the coaching, that defense of Thibs. It's too bad they haven't had a healthy squad since, and it's too bad that the management never made any efforts to improve their team, add pieces, and not just depend on DRose. They were the # 2 team in the East, now they slipped to mid pack and are now overtaken by division rivals Indiana.

They remind me of the 90s Knicks who were always in the playoffs with their tenacious D but couldn't get past Jordan then later Hakeem and Reggie. If they probably had Masai or any other competent GM, they would have already stopped Miami from winning and might have won a championship.

Leave a comment:

• mountio
    replied
    Completely forgot about that lol. But it's sad because their guys are stepping up while our guys only play like one or two good quarters and expect to win consistently. Thibs is definitely a huge part of their success but I just think we shouldn't be letting Chicago outplay us. They just seem hungrier right now. You can tell from the game we played them. They came out to win. We look like we think we can just ease our way into wins and ease our way into the playoffs. This is the time we have to be playing our best ball. That's one of the reasons why I'm not keen on us playing crappy teams to end off the season. It will just cause us to get into bad habits since we love to play down to our opponents. We'll most likely still win but it's not the kind of habits you want to be getting into going to the playoffs. I'll cut us some slack though mainly because we have two second year players starting and one of them is playing like shit right now. Most of those other teams don't have that.
    It was said in an earlier comment, but the difference between us and Chicago is very simple. They have a WAY WAY WAY better coach than us. So, injuries happen, new guys get plugged in and they keep on going. Thibs is flat out awesome. Noah as a leader doesnt hurt either .. but Thibs is in a total other league vs Casey

Leave a comment:

• bryan colangelo
    replied
    Dose of reality.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching this team and I think the writer is over-exaggerating, but the chasm between the Raptors and Pacers/Heat, and the top 5 or 6 teams in the West, is significant.

That being said, Portland might be the best 3 seed in a long ass time.

Leave a comment:

• GLF
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    They played without Rose last year just fine. Butler is playing. He blocked the fuck out of Derozan on a last play how can you forget that. He's playing great for them now.(playing 40 or more minutes don't know how sustainable is that though) Noah is playing amazing. Gibson and Booz as well. So I don't see how's that sad. If we are 4th seed then we play against Washington instead of Nets so that works well for us.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    Chicago is the better team. It's as simple as that. They are beating teams they shouldn't while we are playing down to teams. And that's sad because they don't even have Deng or Rose or Butler (I believe) right now. The two most recent games we played that had playoff intensity we lost (Chicago and Washington). Chicago knows how to turn it up when it matters and their defense is just crazy good. Now we have plenty of guys banged up, so kiss the third seed goodbye. We also don't have a good record against teams 500 or more. There are just a lot of things that don't bode well for us when the playoffs start. I'm not as confident we get passed the first round as I was say 2-4 weeks ago. And the East is horrendous right now so if we can't get the 3rd seed or get past the first round this season I don't know when we will.
    They played without Rose last year just fine. Butler is playing. He blocked the fuck out of Derozan on a last play how can you forget that. He's playing great for them now.(playing 40 or more minutes don't know how sustainable is that though) Noah is playing amazing. Gibson and Booz as well. So I don't see how's that sad. If we are 4th seed then we play against Washington instead of Nets so that works well for us.
    Last edited by MixxAOR; Sat Mar 1, 2014, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• consmap
    replied
    Chicago is the better team. It's as simple as that. They are beating teams they shouldn't while we are playing down to teams. And that's sad because they don't even have Deng or Rose or Butler (I believe) right now. The two most recent games we played that had playoff intensity we lost (Chicago and Washington). Chicago knows how to turn it up when it matters and their defense is just crazy good. Now we have plenty of guys banged up, so kiss the third seed goodbye. We also don't have a good record against teams 500 or more. There are just a lot of things that don't bode well for us when the playoffs start. I'm not as confident we get passed the first round as I was say 2-4 weeks ago. And the East is horrendous right now so if we can't get the 3rd seed or get past the first round this season I don't know when we will.
    Thibs.

Leave a comment:

• GLF
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jacobdr4
    replied
    Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    I was looking at it in terms of talent. Right now they're playing better than the sum of their parts, credit is due to Casey for this to get these guys to buy in and to the players because they fight and grind and never give up.

I'm also less certain that we'll end up in the 3rd seat which would make this a moot point. Bulls and Wizards are playing well and both have easier schedules going forward than us....

The finish to this season is going to be exciting because the 3-5 spot is going to be neck and neck the rest of the way.
    One point to nitpick, chicago for sure doesn't have an easier schedule than us the rest of the way. I also don't think washington does either. Chicago has one of the harder remaining east schedules

Leave a comment:

Working...
X