Raptors 20th Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Bring back the purple? Bring back Vince Carter. And I ain't even kidding. I mean, I know this is a bit off-topic and that we talked about it over and over again, but at 37, Vince is playing hella good. Just imagine the media attention it would occure. But not only that, he could actually help this team. That would be awesome. I'm starting the bring back Vinsanity campaign right freakin' now.

Matter of fact, he just dunked on Robin Lopez pretty hard tonight. And this video is great.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NHrNm0gFo

VC!
    time is a flat circle. VC was a raptor and will be a raptor again!

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
      time is a flat circle. VC was a raptor and will be a raptor again!
      heh, MLSE's brainwashing techniques is working apparently..

Comment

• gametime wrote: View Post
        ^ True, true. And did you make that vid?
        No I didn't!

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
          heh, MLSE's brainwashing techniques is working apparently..
          Aie yaie yaie.

It's not brain washing. He's actually great in his role, and he's matured now. Gotta leave emotions out of team decisions.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
            Aie yaie yaie.

It's not brain washing. He's actually great in his role, and he's matured now. Gotta leave emotions out of team decisions.

Oh please. It is brainwashing. I agree that VC is great in his role, but MLSE is trying to change our opinion about VC, it's so clear. They're using few techniques which include peer group pressure and rejection of old values. ( both techniques used in school learning plans too. )

I agree with you on this emotions stuff, but franchise will not sign ex player if many fans hate him. Especially when we're talking about franchise which trying to change culture. In my opinion, Raps executives want VC to retire as a Raptor.. nothing more. If their interviews and throwback stuff about VC works for them.... then many fans will be happy to see VC in raptors uniform without public apology. ( yup yup, I would love to hear public apology from Mr. Carter )

Comment

Oh please. It is brainwashing. I agree that VC is great in his role, but MLSE is trying to change our opinion about VC, it's so clear. They're using few techniques which include peer group pressure and rejection of old values. ( both techniques used in school learning plans too. )
              Fair points.

But also, just backlashing against Vince because of public perception, or refusing to change your opinion because of who's pushing it, isn't open minded.

It can be brainwashing, or it can be coming to an informed decision. It's up to each of us to combine all the facts that we know and form individual opinions.
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Can't help but find some irony in this. A big fault people have with out whole identity is that the Raptors we named after a trendy dinosaur fad based on a movie released over 20 years ago. So, for our 20th anniversary season...

....coming soon in 2015

Last edited by Jclaw; Mon Mar 10, 2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• Retro Rebrand fun

Comment

I agree with you on this emotions stuff, but franchise will not sign ex player if many fans hate him. Especially when we're talking about franchise which trying to change culture. In my opinion, Raps executives want VC to retire as a Raptor.. nothing more. If their interviews and throwback stuff about VC works for them.... then many fans will be happy to see VC in raptors uniform without public apology. ( yup yup, I would love to hear public apology from Mr. Carter )
                    A year ago I would have said, "No! No! No way! No Wince EVERRRRR!"

However, I think MLSE is invading my mind subliminally. **For the record, I did not and refuse to watch that SportsNet special on Wince**

There are a lot of benefits to bringing back Carter - the least of which, and probably most important of which if that makes any sense, is it appears he is still capable of contributing. Would you rather have Salmons or VC in that veteran guard role off the bench?

Outside the court, here are some benefits:

1) Closure. VC was the highlight/lowlight of the first 20 years of this franchise. Nice to have things come full circle as the Raptors forget the first 20 years as a league door mat.
                    2) What better person to come out and say the reason he wanted out of Toronto than basketball reasons? Help re-examine those anti-Canada views from US basketball media and American players (not all - but definitely still there).
                    3) Who better to help lure free agents? Most star players pushing their late 20's (ie. UFA) grew up idolizing Carter.
                    4) Who better to help convince free agents how big you can be playing in Canada? Carter was HUGE at his peak Raptor prime.... and not just in Canada.

Why does Vince do this? LEGACY. Toronto is the only franchise that will really remember him - for whatever reasons, good or bad. New Jersey? Not after moving to Brooklyn. Orlando? Not after the team became worse with him and he played just 2 seasons averaging 15.5 points per game. Phoenix? Nope. Dallas? Negative.

I think it is going to happen. However, I also thought Nash would love to retire a Raptor - lol.

Comment

• gametime wrote: View Post
                      Retro Rebrand fun

Those guys are creepy

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        A year ago I would have said, "No! No! No way! No Wince EVERRRRR!"

However, I think MLSE is invading my mind subliminally. **For the record, I did not and refuse to watch that SportsNet special on Wince**

There are a lot of benefits to bringing back Carter - the least of which, and probably most important of which if that makes any sense, is it appears he is still capable of contributing. Would you rather have Salmons or VC in that veteran guard role off the bench?

Outside the court, here are some benefits:

1) Closure. VC was the highlight/lowlight of the first 20 years of this franchise. Nice to have things come full circle as the Raptors forget the first 20 years as a league door mat.
                        2) What better person to come out and say the reason he wanted out of Toronto than basketball reasons? Help re-examine those anti-Canada views from US basketball media and American players (not all - but definitely still there).
                        3) Who better to help lure free agents? Most star players pushing their late 20's (ie. UFA) grew up idolizing Carter.
                        4) Who better to help convince free agents how big you can be playing in Canada? Carter was HUGE at his peak Raptor prime.... and not just in Canada.

Why does Vince do this? LEGACY. Toronto is the only franchise that will really remember him - for whatever reasons, good or bad. New Jersey? Not after moving to Brooklyn. Orlando? Not after the team became worse with him and he played just 2 seasons averaging 15.5 points per game. Phoenix? Nope. Dallas? Negative.

I think it is going to happen. However, I also thought Nash would love to retire a Raptor - lol.
                        I might be inclined to agree. Even to the extent that he may give a hometown discount. It's not so much which team will remember him but how he is going to be remembered by all (which may have been what you were trying to say). VC in an actual VC era retro jersey next year? I think that's an instant big seller. Let everyone remember him as a high flying raptor and not the post VC era he was on the other teams. That helps the Raps and that helps him. Seems a bit too win-win not to happen.

Comment

• We kind of have to wonder why Carter even agreed to be part of that 30 minute documentary. Was he paid? Does he genuinely want to repair his reputation amongst Toronto fans? Is he setting the stage for a return?

We've talked about MLSE's motivation, but seems like Carter is on board too.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                            I might be inclined to agree. Even to the extent that he may give a hometown discount. It's not so much which team will remember him but how he is going to be remembered by all (which may have been what you were trying to say). VC in an actual VC era retro jersey next year? I think that's an instant big seller. Let everyone remember him as a high flying raptor and not the post VC era he was on the other teams. That helps the Raps and that helps him. Seems a bit too win-win not to happen.
                            It'd be nice but would it be the same? I'd still want Amir wearing the 15, he shouldn't have to change his number for Carter, he's earned the place on our team. Then again, VC is not the same here without his iconic number 15
                            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                              It'd be nice but would it be the same? I'd still want Amir wearing the 15, he shouldn't have to change his number for Carter, he's earned the place on our team. Then again, VC is not the same here without his iconic number 15
                              He's wearing 25 in Dallas and has been for several seasons. A #25 Carter jersey could actually be a bigger seller, as people who already own #15 jerseys would be inclined to have both.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                **For the record, I did not and refuse to watch that SportsNet special on Wince**
                                How about the Open Gym Special they had as well? That one was a good watch. Less in-your-face about it all. Still pretty blatant though.

Comment

Working...
                                X