Game #62: Toronto Raptors 97 - Brooklyn Nets 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLF wrote: View Post
    I guess the problem is most times I think I'm being very reasonable. That was an amazing win last time we played the Nets, but the likelihood of that happening normally is like 1 in a million. It happened though and I'm happy. I just never felt we really beat Brooklyn handedly. We beat them once with the whole Patterson steal at the last second and the other time they were on a back to back and we weren't. They're an old team so their legs gave out in the fourth. I just feel in the playoffs when they have all their guys and don't have to worry about back to backs we don't have a good chance of beating them in the first round. I just really worries me that Washington is the only team I feel confident we can beat in the first round and we probably won't even play them.
    dude, EVERYTHING fucking worries you. take a pill or something.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
      Ummm Nets were on a back to back as well and they were missing key pieces and one of their main pieces was far from 100% (Pierce). Also they are older and have been horrendous on back to back games so there is no excuse. Especially at this point in the season when games really matter. They stepped up and we didn't, other than Kyle. Also I don't think I'm out of line being worried by the fact that the last 3 playoff like games we've played we've lost. You can make whatever excuse you want about why we lost but at the end of the day we lost and that's all that matters. If you want to be fine with them fighting back and losing good for you but my expectations have grown for this team and to me that's a compliment to them. Sorry if I annoy you and plenty of others on this forum but this is just how I feel and I get very passionate about this team. It's hard for me to tone down.
      Dude....you really need to calm down. Obviously you didnt watch the game! If you did, you would know that the Nets are one of the hottest teams right now. They are something like 15-2 in their last 17 home games. That's the best in the NBA over the last little while. The Nets are definitely a better team now than they were earlier in the season. The fact that we were in it late and had a chance to win before a couple turnovers cost us the game, is something we should take as a positive.

Word of advice..... Please watch the game before you start commenting on a game thread.

You really have nothing positive to contribute and if you watched this game you would notice that we COMPETED and almost gave them a scare. I enjoy this team because they never seem to be out of it. We are the ONLY team starting two sophmore players and we're still performing better than most teams in the east (we're still in 3rd). So please relax because it is annoying.....especially coming from someone who didn't even watch the freaking game!

Comment

• Say what you will about the raps being in playoff form but here at the republic we just put in a 25 page game thread...we're staying strong. Here's a link to C Kelly's recap of last night. Still not sold on his writing style but this one captured it well.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ine_kelly.html

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
          Say what you will about the raps being in playoff form but here at the republic we just put in a 25 page game thread...we're staying strong. Here's a link to C Kelly's recap of last night. Still not sold on his writing style but this one captured it well.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ine_kelly.html
          I agree with the gist of the article. The Raptors need to end the season with some adversity in order to start the playoffs with the right frame of mind. They need to feel pressure, and succeed in those circumstances.

Without any real playoff experience, coasting into the playoffs seems like a recipe for disaster.

Comment

• I won't say names but there are a few posters on here who ALWAYS seem to shit on Casey after every loss or even a win. I think you guys are WACK (to be honest). Casey is going to be in the discussion for coach of the year. Is he perfect?? Obviously not. Does he make mistakes? Of course, which coach doesn't?

I judge a coach by how hard his team plays for him. Casey's defence is elite.....no question about it. I actually like him this year. Last year i hated his guts (mostly for him playing Bargnani come hell or high water), but this year he's made a huge step compared to last year. Just look at the close games we won this year..... I remember hearing a stat while watching the game that out of the 62 games we played this year...we have only lost 5 by 10 or more points!! I'm not sure if thats true (too lazy to check), but if it is that is pretty awesome.

Can we still question Casey's rotations and decisions? Yes, but i think he just doesn't have the trust in some of the younger players. This happens ALL THE TIME and its up to the players to win the trust of their coach. I like JV, but he hasn't proven anything to me. It annoys me when i hear posters saying "if he's supposed to be our next best player, he needs to get minutes even if he's hurting the team.....he needs to learn......he played bad but not that bad".... ENOUGH

After the Bargnani years, the last thing i want to see is a player getting coddled. I still believe JV will be a good player, but if he's not playing good, he can sit and watch a vet do it. I think JV needs to improve his defence, shooting and post moves before we even talk about him being the best player on this team. Honestly, I don't get this infatuation with JV right now....Why not let his play determine his playing time and future? Why are we assuming that he's going to turn into our best player? I think Ross actually has potential to be a more impactful player on both ends of the court (but i hope they both turn out to be stars).
            Last edited by special1; Tue Mar 11, 2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I agree with the gist of the article. The Raptors need to end the season with some adversity in order to start the playoffs with the right frame of mind. They need to feel pressure, and succeed in those circumstances.

Without any real playoff experience, coasting into the playoffs seems like a recipe for disaster.
              I agree. Yesterday's game felt like a playoff game. It sucks that we didn't win, but we have to remember that we have an inexperienced team with 2 sophmore starters. Just being in the playoffs will be HUGE for our players. I do think that our defence is what will save us (i hope).

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                I won't say names but there are a few posters on here who ALWAYS seem to shit on Casey after every loss or even a win. I think you guys are WACK (to be honest). Casey is going to be in the discussion for coach of the year. Is he perfect?? Obviously not. Does he make mistakes? Of course, which coach doesn't?

I judge a coach by how hard his team plays for him. Casey's defence is elite.....no question about it. I actually like him this year. Last year i hated his guts (mostly for him playing Bargnani come hell or high water), but this year he's made a huge step compared to last year. Just look at the close games we won this year..... I remember hearing a stat while watching the game that out of the 62 games we played this year...we have only lost 5 by 10 or more points!! I'm not sure if thats true (too lazy to check), but if it is that is pretty awesome.

Can we still question Casey's rotations and decisions? Yes, but i think he just doesn't have the trust in some of the younger players. This happens ALL THE TIME and its up to the players to win the trust of their coach. I like JV, but he hasn't proven anything to me. It annoys me when i hear posters saying "if he's supposed to be our next best player, he needs to get minutes even if he's hurting the team.....he needs to learn......he played bad but not that bad".... ENOUGH

After the Bargnani years, the last thing i want to see is a player getting coddled. I still believe JV will be a good player, but if he's not playing good, he can sit and watch a vet do it. I think JV needs to improve his defence, shooting and post moves before we even talk about him being the best player on this team. Honestly, I don't get this infatuation with JV right now....Why not let his play determine his playing time and future? Why are we assuming that he's going to turn into our best player? I think Ross actually has potential to be a more impactful player on both ends of the court (but i hope they both turn out to be stars).
                The thing is he sat down both of our sophs to play vets for most of the game. Even though T Ross was on fire at the beginning Casey still benched him for an extended period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                OG is our king

Comment

Dude....you really need to calm down. Obviously you didnt watch the game! If you did, you would know that the Nets are one of the hottest teams right now. They are something like 15-2 in their last 17 home games. That's the best in the NBA over the last little while. The Nets are definitely a better team now than they were earlier in the season. The fact that we were in it late and had a chance to win before a couple turnovers cost us the game, is something we should take as a positive.

Word of advice..... Please watch the game before you start commenting on a game thread.

You really have nothing positive to contribute and if you watched this game you would notice that we COMPETED and almost gave them a scare. I enjoy this team because they never seem to be out of it. We are the ONLY team starting two sophmore players and we're still performing better than most teams in the east (we're still in 3rd). So please relax because it is annoying.....especially coming from someone who didn't even watch the freaking game!
                  Whats positive about losing to your one fucking divisional rival, who are playing without 2-3 key players.

Honestly.

Wtf man, this guy is right, Toronto, more often than not when it is in a "big game", doesn't have the horses to get it done.

As if the players would be comforted by your list of reasons why its ok to lose to the one team they are desperately trying to stay ahead of. Unbelievable man, just...... holy shit.

Comment

I like JV, but he hasn't proven anything to me. It annoys me when i hear posters saying "if he's supposed to be our next best player, he needs to get minutes even if he's hurting the team.....he needs to learn......he played bad but not that bad".... ENOUGH

I still believe JV will be a good player, but if he's not playing good, he can sit and watch a vet do it. I think JV needs to improve his defence, shooting and post moves before we even talk about him being the best player on this team. Honestly, I don't get this infatuation with JV right now....Why not let his play determine his playing time and future? Why are we assuming that he's going to turn into our best player? I think Ross actually has potential to be a more impactful player on both ends of the court (but i hope they both turn out to be stars).
                    Love this. Totally.

Guys kinda think when we are ripping JV we don't like him, we do, most who do rip him just recognize that development will happen anyhow, so for the team, who is in competition to win..... this guy needs to either bring it, or move aside until he is ready to bring it.

There absolutely no, and I mean ZERO grounds for playing JV, just for HIS development sake. That's on him man, there are 14 other players out there.... they take care of them, he needs to start taking care of him.

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
                      The thing is he sat down both of our sophs to play vets for most of the game. Even though T Ross was on fire at the beginning Casey still benched him for an extended period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I understand....although T Ross played 32.5 minutes. JV had a tough time with their bigs and only played about 22 minutes. I get the frustration but the name calling (i often see these posters calling him *casey* stupid or an idiot) is uncalled for. We're still 3rd in the East and we're starting 2 sophmores....I guess that's not enough for some people.

I think a lot of the posters on here have unrealistic expectations for JV and Ross. Typical for Raptor fans i guess....next they'll shit on the player when he doesn't become the star in their expected time frame (see how many treated DD before the all-star selection).
                      Last edited by special1; Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
                        Whats positive about losing to your one fucking divisional rival, who are playing without 2-3 key players.

Honestly.

Wtf man, this guy is right, Toronto, more often than not when it is in a "big game", doesn't have the horses to get it done.

As if the players would be comforted by your list of reasons why its ok to lose to the one team they are desperately trying to stay ahead of. Unbelievable man, just...... holy shit.
                        Considering that we won 2 games and they won 2 games out of the 4 games we played this year.....I just don't think the sky is falling. Will either team win a championship this year?? VERY UNLIKELY. Which of the two teams have a better future? Why cry over a close loss while playing away in a back to back??

Comment

I understand....although T Ross played 32.5 minutes. JV had a tough time with their bigs and only played about 22 minutes. I get the frustration but the name calling (i often see these posters calling him *casey* stupid or an idiot) is uncalled for. We're still 3rd in the East and we're starting 2 sophmores....I guess that's not enough for some people.

I think a lot of the posters on here have unrealistic expectations for JV and Ross. Typical for Raptor fans i guess....next they'll shit on the player when he doesn't become the star in their expected time frame (see how many treated DD before the all-star selection).
                          I like that. People need to be patient with both JV and T Ross. Like you said, it took DD until now to start playing at a really high level (not counting last night).
                          The times where JV did play good help defense last night he looked great. He just really needs to try to get it pat down now, but we won't know how long that will take.
                          OG is our king

Comment

Honestly.

Wow. Let's look at Brooklyn for a second. Since January 1st, they are 14-2 at home, with the only losses being to Toronto and OKC. That includes wins over GS, Miami, Dallas, SA and Chicago. One of those two losses? The Raptors. The Nets are 22-9 since January 1st. Two of those losses are to the Raptors.

What's positive about the loss? You played one of the best home teams in the league to a stalemate and had a chance to win at the end in a game Brooklyn had circled as a must win. Yeah, that's terrible. They should hang their heads.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              Yeah, that's terrible. They should hang their heads.
                              Well you got this part right.
                              No athlete in pro sports, anyhwere, worth his salt would let you say that without smacking your lips off. These guys aren't here for excuses or "moral victories". Moral Victory is a term made up by media people, not coaches or players..... its ridiculous.

The fact thi steam is hot is EXACTLY why Toronto needed this win. It was a bad loss, and they all know it. The bounce back will be telling of who they are, and where they are as a team right now. They should come out next game ready to work.....HARD.

Comment

Well you got this part right.
                                No athlete in pro sports, anyhwere, worth his salt would let you say that without smacking your lips off. These guys aren't here for excuses or "moral victories". Moral Victory is a term made up by media people, not coaches or players..... its ridiculous.

The fact thi steam is hot is EXACTLY why Toronto needed this win. It was a bad loss, and they all know it. The bounce back will be telling of who they are, and where they are as a team right now. They should come out next game ready to work.....HARD.
                                It's not a bad loss. That's ridiculous. Losing to Philadelphia at home is a bad loss.

Again, Brooklyn is one of the best teams in the league since January 1st. They simply don't lose at home, well, except to Toronto....

EDIT: Also, your tough guy "I know what pro athletes think all the time" and "I know how things really are guys" act is getting old.
                                Last edited by slaw; Tue Mar 11, 2014, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X