X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint
    replied
    My order of preferred Lowry outcomes this offseason (best to worst):

1. He's the ballast on a trade that includes other assets from us that ends up netting us a high impact player (eg Beal, Dame, KAT), possibly involving a 3-team Simmons trade
    2. We get a late first and a nice prospect on a SnT (eg Lonzo, Markkenen, Thybulle, Robinson)
    3. We sign him, he doesn't get traded, and walks into the sunset here, while we play our double 5'10" wingspan backcourt heavy minutes till he's 38.
    4. He walks, and we try to convince ourselves that is totally fine to lose the 5th rotation champion in 3 years for nothing, so we have the cap space to go chase ghosts in free agency

Hopefully it's one the first 2.

Leave a comment:

• c-troop
    replied
    The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
    If the Raptors get lucky and acquire Lillard in a trade, I think Kyle will sign a discounted deal.

Kyle/ Lillard/ OG/ Siakam and MLE Center is a legitimate ECF contender
    1 basketball, 2 point guards, Hampton 5 small ball all year ... vs Giannis Antetoukoumpo.

Dunno man, I think if we get Dame, we gotta see that as a passing of the torch.

Edit: Realistically, I think we are destined to walk before we run. Portland will have better offers 100%.
    Last edited by c-troop; Mon Jul 19, 2021, 11:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

It wouldn't likely need to be that much of a discount. They'd certainly be diving into the tax (likely just up to the apron so they could use the full MLE, unless they can get Birch on the taxpayer's MLE).

Lillard makes 39M, Fred and Boucher and #4 make 34M. That's only a 5M increase to a 95M payroll. At 100M, that leaves 36M in spending to get to the tax line, 43M to the apron. 43M should be plenty for the MLE, Lowry and Trent, plus fringe pieces to fill out the roster. And if they do get Birch a little cheaper, they can spend even more.
    Yum DanH

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
    If the Raptors get lucky and acquire Lillard in a trade, I think Kyle will sign a discounted deal.

It wouldn't likely need to be that much of a discount. They'd certainly be diving into the tax (likely just up to the apron so they could use the full MLE, unless they can get Birch on the taxpayer's MLE).

Lillard makes 39M, Fred and Boucher and #4 make 34M. That's only a 5M increase to a 95M payroll. At 100M, that leaves 36M in spending to get to the tax line, 43M to the apron. 43M should be plenty for the MLE, Lowry and Trent, plus fringe pieces to fill out the roster. And if they do get Birch a little cheaper, they can spend even more.

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Along the line of not wanting Ball…. isn’t this kind of an indictment of Lonzo if the Pels are looking to replace him with a 36 year old, albeit GROAT? Especially with Ball coming off his best seasons at an age where they could have locked him up entering his peak.

It’s a copycat league, so maybe the Pels see Lonzo as their Ricky Rubio and Lowry would be their CP3 teaching a young group how to win. A lot of similarities there.
    Lonzo is alright. He's not a star, but he's a good defender, now has a respectable 3pt shot (spaces the floor), and has good court vision. I think he's one of those players the Pels see as a decent piece but not an untouchable cornerstone, and if you want to land a Lowry on a SnT to help Zion's game take off, that's the kind of prospect you need to put on the block to have a competing bid. I put Markanenn and Thybulle in that category too.

All these guys are better return than empty cap space for the chance to chase UFA's like Richaun Holmes. I think first order of business here is on Aug 3rd (or whenever the 1st day of free agency is), sign Lowry for his 25M. Then wait for trade offers that are worth it. Worse case scenario then is no worthy offers come, but then you got Kyle Lowry, which is the best 2021 UFA.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Never underestimate the possibility that some other front office is just bad at their jobs (relatively speaking). Lonzo isn't the superstar one would have hoped when he was drafted where he was, but he's crossed the threshold well into underrated, IMO. He'd actually fit very well here, I think.
    Yeah, that’s what I don’t get…. a tall, unselfish ball handler who defends multiple positions fits on pretty much every team. And Ball can hit 3s efficiently at good volume. Really don’t understand why they’re not trying to retain a tradeable asset, unless there’s an ownership mandate to save money. Even then, their best player is still on a rookie contract for multiple years.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    I hope we never have Balls on this team.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Along the line of not wanting Ball…. isn’t this kind of an indictment of Lonzo if the Pels are looking to replace him with a 36 year old, albeit GROAT? Especially with Ball coming off his best seasons at an age where they could have locked him up entering his peak.

It’s a copycat league, so maybe the Pels see Lonzo as their Ricky Rubio and Lowry would be their CP3 teaching a young group how to win. A lot of similarities there.
    Never underestimate the possibility that some other front office is just bad at their jobs (relatively speaking). Lonzo isn't the superstar one would have hoped when he was drafted where he was, but he's crossed the threshold well into underrated, IMO. He'd actually fit very well here, I think.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Yeah, there's also a chance if the Raps don't want Ball or Ball doesn't want to come here, if NOP wants to avoid waiving one of Adams/Bledsoe, that they would give up some value to include one of those guys plus a prospect as the salary return (I've pitched Bledsoe and Hayes) so that they could keep Hart and also maintain the MLE to add another FA.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

Wouldn't the Pelicans lose their MLE if they do a S&T?
    You keep your MLE if you operate over the cap. If they clear cap room to sign Lowry, they are stuck with the Room MLE. If they trade for him, they are an above the cap team and get the full MLE. Using Bird Rights to sign and trade their own player if necessary doesn't change that.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

Yeah, there's also a chance if the Raps don't want Ball or Ball doesn't want to come here, if NOP wants to avoid waiving one of Adams/Bledsoe, that they would give up some value to include one of those guys plus a prospect as the salary return (I've pitched Bledsoe and Hayes) so that they could keep Hart and also maintain the MLE to add another FA.
    Wouldn't the Pelicans lose their MLE if they do a S&T?

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    saints91 wrote: View Post
    I was about to say I wouldn't Adams, but then I saw his FT% ouch. He does add any spacing and is horrible at the line. I like his toughness though.
    Baynes is tough too. I'd rather them get Kyle for nothing, opening up our cap space, then doing a S&T with Adams coming back here. Adams is a guy that can get played off the floor in today's NBA. At least Baynes had the ability to space the floor (he wasn't great at it, but he still could make you pay). Adams would get in the way of Siakam and muck up the paint.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    I was about to say I wouldn't Adams, but then I saw his FT% ouch. He does add any spacing and is horrible at the line. I like his toughness though.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

Sam Vecenie has an article on the Pelicans situation at the Athletic breaking down their cap space.

So if they renounce both Ball's and Hart's cap holds.. they will have about $14.5M in cap space. If they stretch and waive Bledsoe they can get an additional $13M in cap space.. bringing their total to $27.5M.

That should be enough to bring in Lowry without having to do a S&T.

They can get even more creative if they can find a trade partner for Adams. He mentioned a team like Charlotte who would be looking for a starting caliber center. If they can trade Adams without getting any salary back, they can get up to $45M in cap space.

Pelicans could be a good fit for Kyle. They want to make the playoffs and Lowry is a CP3 type of player that could help them. But on the other hand would Kyle want to go to a team like that? Is $$$ more valuable than winning to him?

I think a S&T is a possibility as well. Maybe if we mutually have interest in Ball a two-way trade like GSW and Brooklyn did with KD and D'Lo. That way they can keep Hart and not have to waive/stretch Bledsoe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X