Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    I expect a middle ground contract like DeMar signed - not the max we could offer, but more than the max another team can offer because of that 5th year, essentially a 4 year max with a discounted 5th year player option (although the salary would actually increase each year). Like, say, a 5/180M deal. The most another team can offer is 4/154M. So we essentially offer Lowry a 26M insurance year with a player option. Of course, the deal would be structured more like 31M, 33M, 36M, 38M, 41M (PO).
    Do you think there is a chance he accepts a 4 year contract with us at a larger value than 154 other teams can offer? Lowry is def worth the max but there is no way he can keep his production up till his 35-36 year age.

Masai is going to have a really stressful offseason. Lot's of FA's to re-sign and I think it will be much more difficult than the demar situation last year.

Comment

I expect a middle ground contract like DeMar signed - not the max we could offer, but more than the max another team can offer because of that 5th year, essentially a 4 year max with a discounted 5th year player option (although the salary would actually increase each year). Like, say, a 5/180M deal. The most another team can offer is 4/154M. So we essentially offer Lowry a 26M insurance year with a player option. Of course, the deal would be structured more like 31M, 33M, 36M, 38M, 41M (PO).
      *faints*

That is insanity money. In a vacuum it's like "wtf are we thinking". I get why we do trust me, but phew. These contacts are still extremely hard to get used to for me. They make football and baseball deals look like minimum wage lol.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
        Do you think there is a chance he accepts a 4 year contract with us at a larger value than 154 other teams can offer? Lowry is def worth the max but there is no way he can keep his production up till his 35-36 year age.

Masai is going to have a really stressful offseason. Lot's of FA's to re-sign and I think it will be much more difficult than the demar situation last year.
        I think there's a good chance he would accept that. But the Raptors' window is now, and their tax crunch is now. If they offer a 5th year, that may allow them to shave a few million off the first couple years of salary. And that could prove to be worth the long term risk of Lowry declining in that 5th year.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

*faints*

That is insanity money. In a vacuum it's like "wtf are we thinking". I get why we do trust me, but phew. These contacts are still extremely hard to get used to for me. They make football and baseball deals look like minimum wage lol.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
            *faints*

Just for comparison's sake, the actual max the Raptors can offer this summer (assuming a 102M cap as projected) would break down like this:

36M, 39M, 41M, 44M, 47M.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Just for comparison's sake, the actual max the Raptors can offer this summer (assuming a 102M cap as projected) would break down like this:

36M, 39M, 41M, 44M, 47M.
              You start to wonder how much that new rule in the CBA for teams to retain players really helps with money that large. (not referring to Lowry here at all)

Yes, losing say 30 million dollars would be tough to swallow, but is it really that tough to swallow if it means sticking with a loser or going to a winner and STILL getting 38 million per year over 4? Sure, some guys like Lebron want to be the next Warren Buffett, but I know me personally, if I was star player after a couple of these new contracts my childrens childrens children are taken care of, at some point of so much money the money becomes immaterial, and legacy plus enjoying your work start to become more prevalant

Comment

*faints*

My kid wanted to be a doctor, what an idiot lol. I make him ball in the driveway for hours on end and I spend more on HGH than groceries. Here's to the future!
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

You start to wonder how much that new rule in the CBA for teams to retain players really helps with money that large. (not referring to Lowry here at all)

Yes, losing say 30 million dollars would be tough to swallow, but is it really that tough to swallow if it means sticking with a loser or going to a winner and STILL getting 38 million per year over 4? Sure, some guys like Lebron want to be the next Warren Buffett, but I know me personally, if I was star player after a couple of these new contracts my childrens childrens children are taken care of, at some point of so much money the money becomes immaterial, and legacy plus enjoying your work start to become more prevalant
                  I doubt anything will change. The same argument could be made about the 25M per year deals of the past versus their predecessors at 15M or theirs at 5M. There will be some players who eschew the maximum offers, there always have been, but they will remain the exception, not the rule.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I doubt it changes anything. Boogie was willing to resign for the max contract....with Sacramento. Money trumps all for these guys. Then you hear about guys like Iverson whom are broke after being worth north of $100m.

Comment

• Deems wrote: View Post
                      I think this would be a bad idea for the Raps. If we end up going out in the 1st round I think it's time to change face if the opportunity is there. Depending how the lottery falls out, Phoenix will most likely have top 2 pick and would be dumb not to pick up either Fultz or Ball.

If that happens I see Bledsoe being expendable. The guy is super underrated and has a great contract for the next couple of years. They're also in need of a big guy up the middle...in comes JV...maybe something like this would work:

Phoenix: Bledsoe, 2nd Round Pick
                      Toronto: JV, Joseph

We don't lose much in terms of Lowry walking away and have some flexibility going forward with cap space. Next year have something like:

PG: Bledsoe / Delon
                      SG: Derozan / Powell
                      SF: Caroll / PJ or FA/1st Round Pick
                      PF: Ibaka / Patterson or FA or 1st Round Pick
                      C: Poetl / FA or 1st Round Pick
                      So in an effort to cut salary, you let Lowry walk and trade away Joseph + JV..... but keep CARROLL?!

I have now seen it all

Comment

• Deems wrote: View Post
                        I think it all depends on how the playoffs go. I was calling for a change if we have a disappointing end (have a 1st round exit or a 2nd round exit to anyone besides the Cav's) I'm also in the crowd of being weary of paying max money to a player that will be 32 next year. If he can give us a home town discount at 3 years I'm all for it but I don't see that happening.

I think the culture of winning on our team has been built enough to pass the torch to another player and Bledsoe would fit the bill. I wouldn't expect him to carry the team like Lowry did but who knows he might... we didn't even think Lowry had this in him when he first came here.
                        I see your point re: his age but 3 yrs is out of the question. We gotta beat Philly's 4 yr max so a near max 5 yr is baseline offer imo.
                        I'd say he starts at DeMars money and goes up slightly (DeMar is flatline $27m + change). Something like 5/165. That would be a discount starting point.

Comment

• I like that Bledsoe idea (sort of) as a plan B.. Although he's too injury prone for my liking. Wonder if there is another "IT" in the making somewhere in the league. A guy that's looking to become the alpha dog on a team that's on a great salary.

But realistically this is Lowry's team. Masai is going to go all in on him. I hope we can get him back for something similar to DD's deal. That would be a coup.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I like that Bledsoe idea (sort of) as a plan B.. Although he's too injury prone for my liking. Wonder if there is another "IT" in the making somewhere in the league. A guy that's looking to become the alpha dog on a team that's on a great salary.

But realistically this is Lowry's team. Masai is going to go all in on him. I hope we can get him back for something similar to DD's deal. That would be a coup.
                            I think a Plan B post Lowry would be to try to use assets for a legit franchise guy (DeMar + supporting cast doesn't cut it) and, should that fail, you just tear it down. Please just avoid several seasons of muddling along in mediocrity like the current Pacers, gotta rip the band-aid off.

Am I too optimistic in being a little less worried about Lowry after 30? A smart, strong PG with a great 3 pt shot might age better than we think. Is he doomed to being Dwyane Wade or can he be Chauncey Billups?

In any case, the window will still be a few seasons long, his production isn't falling off a cliff as soon as the ink dries.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• One interesting takeaway from lowrys media scrum yesterday: he said that the loose bodies in his wrist is a 10 year old thing, it flares up and is painful quite often especially after long bouts of wear and tear..

Could this be a big part of why his shooting seems to go in the tank every single post season? After 82 games the chronic problems continue piling up?

What I'm trying to say is, if we somehow get beast mode mvp level kyle in april and may, this injury turns into the world's biggest blessing in disguise. Here's hoping!

Comment

One interesting takeaway from lowrys media scrum yesterday: he said that the loose bodies in his wrist is a 10 year old thing, it flares up and is painful quite often especially after long bouts of wear and tear..

Could this be a big part of why his shooting seems to go in the tank every single post season? After 82 games the chronic problems continue piling up?

What I'm trying to say is, if we somehow get beast mode mvp level kyle in april and may, this injury turns into the world's biggest blessing in disguise. Here's hoping!
                                Or his shooting tanks because he's not in game-rhythm by the postseason. Don't tease me Keon

Comment

Working...
                                X