Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Nice gesture, but it's pretty much expected of smart guys like golden to help those that aren't as brilliant, to make sure people are reminded he knows stuff. Not that golden cares what people think about him, lol.

And I mean, except for summer? Thats like 9 months tops. Iirc, theres people who tutor year round and work more hours than golden.

Nice gesture though.
    LOL. But you're bang on there, Keon. I'm definitely not doing as much as I could or should.

Kyle "Mother Teresa" Lowry, though...... and those 325 turkeys. Three hundred and twenty-five.

Last edited by golden; Wed Oct 3, 2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      LOL. But you're bang on there, Keon. I'm definitely not doing as much as I could or should.

Kyle "Mother Teresa" Lowry, though...... and those 325 turkeys. Three hundred and twenty-five.

Mother Teresa was an evil bitch. Read up on it. I also heard shes a fan of iso ball and hates doug Smith
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Nice gesture by Lowry, but TBH this stuff is pretty much expected from superstar pro athletes these days as an unwritten part of their job and is sound PR image management. Not that Lowry cares about what people think or write about him. lol.

And 325 turkey dinners would cost like $1500 tops. I mean, is there a franchise guy in the NBA that doesn't give back to the community in some way? IIRC, FVV quietly gave out a few hundred turkeys and nobody made any big deal about it..... this is when he was on the bubble last year, way before he got paid. Nice gesture, though.
        He and his wife actually go and distribute the meals. Like I understand modern cynicism but can't we just accept that he's doing a good thing for the community?

And if you think you can feed over 1000 people turkey dinners for $1500 then you ought to be hired by the UN to end world hunger.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarcJSpea...40806582562816

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
          He and his wife actually go and distribute the meals. Like I understand modern cynicism but can't we just accept that he's doing a good thing for the community?

And if you think you can feed over 1000 people turkey dinners for $1500 then you ought to be hired by the UN to end world hunger.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarcJSpea...40806582562816
          Like I said, nice gesture by Lowry. But no need to throw it in the face of the average Joe, like Keon did to Superjudge. That's what got this thing started. Because stuff like this is really is no big deal for a pro sports superstar. That's not cynical, just reality. People are just so used to putting these guys on a pedestal because of their talent, even a-holes, that when they do something nice, we elevate them to deity status. I mean, DeMarcus Cousins wins NBA Care awards for community service. The Morris brothers have a foundation. They all do it. It's par for the course.

And most of the food cost is in the labour, so if Lowry is getting volunteers to cook and serve the food, then it's definitely possible for the material costs to be kept low. The first tweet said 325, but even if you triple it, what's $4500 as a charitable donation for a guy like Lowry? Nice gesture, even if his wife is doing almost all the work.

Comment

• I'll never be dismissive of anyone's charitable contributions. There is no automatic correlation between wealth and generosity.

It's also pretty different to just write a cheque vs get involved at a person level. Some of these guys do that with cameras around and some don't.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Having fun, eh?
              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Correct me if I missed the point, but Keon's initial comment was regarding Superjudge using Lowry's hostility towards the media, to label him a "piece of trash".

So the question becomes, what should hold more value when judging one's character?

- Hostility towards media
                OR
                - Helping needy families

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Correct me if I missed the point, but Keon's initial comment was regarding Superjudge using Lowry's hostility towards the media, to label him a "piece of trash".

So the question becomes, what should hold more value when judging one's character?

- Hostility towards media
                  OR
                  - Helping needy families
                  Nope. It wasn't Lowry's attitude towards the media. It was his attitude towards his his coach Nurse and his GM, Masai in the summer that SJ called 'trash'. IF true, then yeah, that's a 'trash' attitude from Lowry. The media thing is just reinforcement that he hasn't matured, but it's a sidebar.

The defense of Lowry is stunning on this board. We all mocked Chr1s1anL for his undying devotion to DeMar & Casey, but now even more posters are trying to make Lowry look like a saint, just because he contributed more to winning. At least DeMar & Casey were universally accepted as having impeccable character. Lowry.... even in his own words, needed to grow up. He's still not there yet, but some of y'all want to try to put him on a humanitarian pedestal.

Lowry walks like a d*ck. Talks like a d*ck. He must be a d*ck. Keon and Co. like d*cks. Not that there's anything wrong with that. This is Canada. We're tolerant.

Comment

Nope. It wasn't Lowry's attitude towards the media. It was his attitude towards his his coach Nurse and his GM, Masai in the summer that SJ called 'trash'. IF true, then yeah, that's a 'trash' attitude from Lowry. The media thing is just reinforcement that he hasn't matured, but it's a sidebar.

The defense of Lowry is stunning on this board. We all mocked Chr1s1anL for his undying devotion to DeMar & Casey, but now even more posters are trying to make Lowry look like a saint, just because he contributed more to winning. At least DeMar & Casey were universally accepted as having impeccable character. Lowry.... even in his own words, needed to grow up. He's still not there yet, but some of y'all want to try to put him on a humanitarian pedestal.

Lowry walks like a d*ck. Talks like a d*ck. He must be a d*ck. Keon and Co. like d*cks. Not that there's anything wrong with that. This is Canada. We're tolerant.
                    I think the opposition you are getting is no one gives a flying crap whether Lowry is a dick (or, no one should). Being ornery doesn't make you a piece of trash. It's also largely irrelevant to the team. So why would anyone care? Let alone enough to apply that label to a person?
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                      I think the opposition you are getting is no one gives a flying crap whether Lowry is a dick (or, no one should). Being ornery doesn't make you a piece of trash. It's also largely irrelevant to the team. So why would anyone care? Let alone enough to apply that label to a person?
                      See what I mean? 'Why does anybody care' could be applied to pretty much any topic we discuss here that even the most rational, logical poster on the board will use any line of debate to defend Lowry. It's become Pavlovian at this point.

And if Lowry is making it more difficult for Nurse and Masai to do their jobs, then Raptor fans should care. That this dynamic had to be actually spelled out speaks again to the Lowry blinders, just because he's a great player in the regular season.
                      Last edited by golden; Thu Oct 4, 2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

See what I mean? 'Why does anybody care' could be applied to pretty much any topic we discuss here that even the most rational, logical poster on the board will use any line of debate to defend Lowry. It's become Pavlovian at this point.
                        Yeah, but it's a basketball forum. Why anyone would care if Lowry is bad at basketball, or demanded a trade, or got injured - those I understand. Why anyone would care if Lowry was a dick to the media and took a vacation in the summer (from which he came back in fantastic shape, to be clear)... Yeah, I guess I just don't get it. Same goes for every player on the team (especially the really good ones). Who gives a crap if Kawhi forced his way out of the best organization in basketball? He's really good at basketball, and our basketball team has him now. If a player came into camp out of shape? Totally understand someone being upset about that.

This soap opera crap, though. Don't get it.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          Yeah, but it's a basketball forum. Why anyone would care if Lowry is bad at basketball, or demanded a trade, or got injured - those I understand. Why anyone would care if Lowry was a dick to the media and took a vacation in the summer (from which he came back in fantastic shape, to be clear)... Yeah, I guess I just don't get it. Same goes for every player on the team (especially the really good ones). Who gives a crap if Kawhi forced his way out of the best organization in basketball? He's really good at basketball, and our basketball team has him now. If a player came into camp out of shape? Totally understand someone being upset about that.

This soap opera crap, though. Don't get it.
                          You missed my edit.....

If Lowry is making it more difficult for Nurse and Masai to do their jobs, then Raptor fans should care. That this dynamic had to be actually spelled out speaks again to the Lowry blinders, just because he's a great player in the regular season.

Yep. You don't get it and probably never will.

Comment

And if Lowry is making it more difficult for Nurse and Masai to do their jobs, then Raptor fans should care. That this dynamic had to be actually spelled out speaks again to the Lowry blinders, just because he's a great player in the regular season.
                            The bold is a big "if", though

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              The bold is a big "if", though
                              Have to dig up the article, but I believe Lowry confirmed that the first time he spoke to Nurse was when training camp opened. I think it's safe to assume the reports are true. Dissing the media is one thing. Dissing your coach, especially a guy in Nurse's situation, is unacceptable.

Comment

There are pretty clear examples of player attitudes ruining locker rooms and teams. Lowry on the Raptors is not one of them, and it's not even close.

Said this 100 times but the complaints are summed up as:
                                - Him giving access to media on some days in preseason and not on other days
                                - Him appearing essentially grumpy in some interviews (nevermind all the interviews he's had where he's held his kid on his lap and joked around)
                                - One non-corroborated report that he didn't return phone calls this summer when he was in no way obligated to - he was off

There's nothing about him causing problems in the locker room or on the court. There's nothing but evidence of him driving wins.

He is not Rajon Rondo or Lance Stephenson or Jimmy Butler or DeMarcus Cousins or Markieff Morris.

He's definitely not Michael Vick.

But this was all it took for some to throw him under the bus, repeatedly.

If we're going to argue about taking sides, I have a really hard time understanding fans siding with a couple complaints from the media vs. what we've seen with our own eyes on the court from the team's best player - and what we've heard on the record from all his teammates, coach, and team officials.

I don't get it at all.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X