Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    Honest question if your boss calls you on Saturdays to talk shop for a couple hours when you're with your family do you answer? I draw a pretty hard line between personal and work life, though everybody does that differently. I don't answer work related texts or emails on personal time unless it's an emergency. I have zero problem with Lowry (or any other NBA player) not returning calls during their summers if they show up ready for training camp, which is basically the Monday morning of their season.
    You're comparing the NBA to a 9-to-5 job? True answer: I've been both a founder (of multiple companies) and an employee. In both scenarios, I had no problem getting calls on the weekend. Even wore a pager in the early days of my career.

But SR, man, you're like a top 5 poster on this site, but as soon as somebody besmurches the reputation of Kyle Lowry on here for even deserving reasons, the most logical posters like yourself and DanH go into a tizzy. Lowry is a fantastic player, but he ain't no saint. And some like Keon love him that way, and I respect him for that.

You don't have to read too hard between the lines to see that Lowry went off-script, unprompted, with what should have been a simple, straightforward answer to Spears.

Spears: Do you still want to be in Toronto?
    99.9% of professional athletes: Why not? We have unbelievable fans and a great opportunity to compete for a championship.

Lowry: I'll punch the clock and do my job.... for any franchise that truly wants me.

Nothing to see there.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      You're comparing the NBA to a 9-to-5 job? True answer: I've been both a founder (of multiple companies) and an employee. In both scenarios, I had no problem getting calls on the weekend. Even wore a pager in the early days of my career.

But SR, man, you're like a top 5 poster on this site, but as soon as somebody besmurches the reputation of Kyle Lowry on here for even deserving reasons, the most logical posters like yourself and DanH go into a tizzy. Lowry is a fantastic player, but he ain't no saint. And some like Keon love him that way, and I respect him for that.

You don't have to read too hard between the lines to see that Lowry went off-script, unprompted, with what should have been a simple, straightforward answer to Spears.

99.9% of professional athletes: Why not? We have unbelievable fans and a great opportunity to compete for a championship.

Lowry: I'll punch the clock and do my job.... for any franchise that truly wants me.

Nothing to see there.
      FWIW, I was a tad disappointed to read Lowry's answer to that question, too.

But at the end of the day, he's still under contract and playing like a superstar, so I ain't complaining

Comment

You're comparing the NBA to a 9-to-5 job?
        I'm comparing contractual responsibilities and work/life balance. Some guys need to shut it off to sustain good health and high performance, nobody can go 24/7 year after year and maintain high performance. There are dynamics in common there whether you're punching a clock, an entrepreneur, or a pro athlete.

That'll show up in different ways. Lowry needs to shut himself off during the offseason. JJ Reddick had kids and found he needed to delete all his social media so he could focus on his family when he's with them. But DeMar DeRozan goes to Drew League and Instagrams his life all summer. Joel Embiid tweets everything.

Who's doing it right and who's doing it wrong? We know Lowry's doing what he feels he needs to do to stay healthy over the long haul, mentally and physically. That his routine didn't change because the team got a new coach or traded a player is just a total non-issue for me. This is a guy who's routine is so important he's still doing ghost pregame handshakes with DeMar. That level of entrenched routine and/or superstition is not at all uncommon for pro athletes.
        Last edited by S.R.; Thu Nov 8, 2018, 05:32 PM.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I can understand Lowry though. I punch the clock too and don't talk to me on my days off. And don't ask me to come on any team building events. Escape room after work on Friday? fuck outta here
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• People can talk about Kyle's poopy pants or big booty all they like.

Guy is a fucking G.

Just carry us to the promised land, Kyle.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...clutch-charge/

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              I'm comparing contractual responsibilities and work/life balance. Some guys need to shut it off to sustain good health and high performance, nobody can go 24/7 year after year and maintain high performance. There are dynamics in common there whether you're punching a clock, an entrepreneur, or a pro athlete.

That'll show up in different ways. Lowry needs to shut himself off during the offseason. JJ Reddick had kids and found he needed to delete all his social media so he could focus on his family when he's with them. But DeMar DeRozan goes to Drew League and Instagrams his life all summer. Joel Embiid tweets everything.

Who's doing it right and who's doing it wrong? We know Lowry's doing what he feels he needs to do to stay healthy over the long haul, mentally and physically. That his routine didn't change because the team got a new coach or traded a player is just a total non-issue for me. This is a guy who's routine is so important he's still doing ghost pregame handshakes with DeMar. That level of entrenched routine and/or superstition is not at all uncommon for pro athletes.
              You probably haven't checked out Lowry's twitter feed. He's not as prolific as Embiid (who is?), but he does his fare share. He's nothing like the solitude seeking hermit who completely un-plugs from the basketball world or society in general, like you're trying to make it sound like, so he can re-juvenate.

Summer 2017: he tweeted quite a bit about his workouts, and he even wrote a letter for the Player's Tribune (ode to Toronto, when he resigned).

Summer 2016: he was highly visible with USA Basketball and lots of ther basketball tweets.

Summer 2018: middle finger to Nick Nurse & Masai Ujiri.

Comment

You probably haven't checked out Lowry's twitter feed. He's not as prolific as Embiid (who is?), but he does his fare share. He's nothing like the solitude seeking hermit who completely un-plugs from the basketball world or society in general, like you're trying to make it sound like, so he can re-juvenate.

Summer 2017: he tweeted quite a bit about his workouts, and he even wrote a letter for the Player's Tribune (ode to Toronto, when he resigned).

Summer 2016: he was highly visible with USA Basketball and lots of ther basketball tweets.

Summer 2018: middle finger to Nick Nurse & Masai Ujiri.
                A thank you when he resigned and some visibility when he was playing for a gold medal in Rio??? Come on, man.

Jose Calderon burner account confirmed.

Comment

• to be honest Kyle Lowry could kill somebody and i'll probably say: " Boys will be boys"

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                    A thank you when he resigned and some visibility when he was playing for a gold medal in Rio??? Come on, man.

Jose Calderon burner account confirmed.
                    Que? Hombre equivocado. Er, I mean.... no way.

Actually, Lowry had lots of tweets, but more importantly I've found out the hard way that you're taking your life into your hands by uttering a discouraging word about KLOE, here on RR.

Comment

Que? Hombre equivocado. Er, I mean.... no way.

Actually, Lowry had lots of tweets, but more importantly I've found out the hard way that you're taking your life into your hands by uttering a discouraging word about KLOE, here on RR.
                      Yeah it's weird how we like the most valuable player since Vince and the guy who made us relevant again
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                        to be honest Kyle Lowry could kill somebody and i'll probably say: " Boys will be boys"
                        And as long as Lowry keeps doing his big PIPM thing and the Raps make it to the Finals, I'll have no problem with him ...... as a basketball player.

Comment

And as long as Lowry keeps doing his big PIPM thing and the Raps make it to the Finals, I'll have no problem with him ...... as a basketball player.
                          you're more like Lowry than any of us.

Lowry: "As long as I'm winning I'll be in Toronto"
                          golden: "As long as he performs I'll like him as a player"

Comment

He blew off Nurse & Masai. D*ck is as d*ck does. I like Lowry a lot,
                            Jocic will help you out to finish that thought..

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              golden is one of the really good posters here until the topic comes to Lowry then his win shares drop to below replacement level
                              lol. I missed this post first time around... but it is golden.

Oh, and here comes the Lowry hive again. Right on cue. LOL.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                FWIW, I was a tad disappointed to read Lowry's answer to that question, too.

But at the end of the day, he's still under contract and playing like a superstar, so I ain't complaining
                                I totally understand Kyle's answer. The Raptors traded his best friend and most loyal Raptor ever, after lying to his best friend and most loyal Raptor ever. Yeah, Kyle was pissed on a personal level.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X