Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    The issue is the timing. Lowry should have got that one out of the way at training camp. Today is not the day to embarass your boss in front of important people, especially with the Mandela stuff that Masai is also hosting.
    ^This
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Isaiah Thomas choked his own assistant coach on the court mid-game once, so the drama can go a lot further than this. I am disappointed Lowry picked an ESPN interview to air that out, but whatever. Raps were unique over the past few years in not having to deal with this stuff, it never did them any good when they met Lebron in the playoffs every spring. They're a better team now.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post
        This is an interesting question to me. Like, is he doing his job? Obviously he's playing well, which is great, but is that the extent of his job?

Thing is, these guys get paid truly absurd amounts of money for a reason. And that reason is *not* just to play basketball. There's a reason media availability is mandated.

Look, my boss pays me (I think fairly) to be a lawyer. I have to go to court and draft claims and shit. That's what I'm paid to do. But I also have to show up at Christmas parties and talk to people I don't like and avoid speaking poorly of my employer - especially publicly. Part of this is just general professionalism, and frankly, part of this is just not being a dick.

I love the Raptors and I'm glad Lowry is on our team because he's an excellent player. But honestly, ever since he got here, he's mostly been a surly dick. He regularly skips media obligations (pretty sure he did it after losing to Denver - loss #5 and the guy can't even handle speaking for 5 minutes). He regularly talks down and speaks rudely to the media and even when he's in a good mood he's as difficult as possible for them. And he's not the only one, Popovich has been a prick to the media for years. He's one of the great coaches of all time, but he's also an asshole lol.

So yeah, I'm glad Lowry's playing great, and no, he doesn't have to be Masai's friend, but this idea that it's not his 'job' to put on a good face, represent the organization and address the media as requested is kinda bullshit. His comments today just continue a weary trend.
        Lowry does stuff for kids and the underprivileged..his home town and Toronto. He does not need to be nice to josh lewenberg and he certainly does not need to kiss masais feet.

1. He needs to win basketball games (check)
        2. Its fairly understood that with that fame and money you need to help the local community in some way (check)

Done.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I just don't like the timing of these comments. Couldn't wait for 30 for 30?
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            The issue is the timing. Lowry should have got that one out of the way at training camp. Today is not the day to embarass your boss in front of important people, especially with the Mandela stuff that Masai is also hosting.
            He did. He was asked like the same questions at media day. And answered them basically the same way. "My relationship with the team is the same as always, come to work." "He's the president of basketball operations. He made a decision. My job is to be ready to go."
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Lowry does stuff for kids and the underprivileged..his home town and Toronto. He does not need to be nice to josh lewenberg and he certainly does not need to kiss masais feet.

1. He needs to win basketball games (check)
              2. Its fairly understood that with that fame and money you need to help the local community in some way (check)

Done.
              I'm not saying Lowry is fundamentally a bad person. I'm glad he supports charities. That's great. I hope everyone does.

But that doesn't absolve him of being rude to those who are beneath him. He doesn't *have* to be nice to Josh. He can be rude to Lew and Koreen and Doug and all the beat writers he wants. But its unprofessional and its a dick thing to do. Just as not putting on a good face for your employer is unprofessional.

No one's asking him to "kiss Masai's feet". But as a professional, when someone asks me what my relationship with my employer is, I put on my big boy shoes and say "I think they're great and I'm pleased to be working here" or some crap. Are those my true feelings? You'll never know. And that's the point.

It's not a lot to ask.

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post
                I'm not saying Lowry is fundamentally a bad person. I'm glad he supports charities. That's great. I hope everyone does.

But that doesn't absolve him of being rude to those who are beneath him. He doesn't *have* to be nice to Josh. He can be rude to Lew and Koreen and Doug and all the beat writers he wants. But its unprofessional and its a dick thing to do. Just as not putting on a good face for your employer is unprofessional.

No one's asking him to "kiss Masai's feet". But as a professional, when someone asks me what my relationship with my employer is, I put on my big boy shoes and say "I think they're great and I'm pleased to be working here" or some crap. Are those my true feelings? You'll never know. And that's the point.

It's not a lot to ask.
                I'm not saying I disagree. But we're getting into that much broader thing again of comparing NBA to a 9 to 5 job and making it apples to apples.

I too thought Lowry was a tool for this. But at the of the day I just hope he wins in the playoffs

Comment

The worst player to president relationship I can ever recall was Michael Jordan and Jerry Krause in the 90s. Despised each other.

My memory isnt what it was before but I seem to recall them still having some success working together
                  Definitely. Plus, you can't tell me that Lebron is singing Dan Gilbert's praises either, but that didn't stop them from achieving success.

Now, if people want to debate the merits of how NBA player's present themselves professionally, that's one thing, but I think attempting to dissect the relationship between the front office and a player in order to determine future success is a waste of time.

Comment

The worst player to president relationship I can ever recall was Michael Jordan and Jerry Krause in the 90s. Despised each other.

My memory isnt what it was before but I seem to recall them still having some success working together
                    I'd be thrilled if Kyle can back up the Jordan attitude with the Jordan game when it counts. Win a championship for the Raps like Jordan did for the Bulls, and all is forgiven. Heck, I'll even rock a Kyle Lowry avatar.

Comment

• LOL Masai on Jump: "He's mad about me every year"
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Hey Masai tried to trade Lowry right off the bat, I've always wondered how that sat between them. Maybe Lowry's always felt this way about the boss. Has anyone ever asked him before?

I'm in general on both sides here - it's really not that big a deal compared to what goes on in NBA circles on a regular basis (just keep it professional on the court and keep winning), but at the same time I would have preferred Lowry kept this opinion internal at least until he's wearing a different jersey (go DeMarre Carroll all you want at your next stop, idgaf). That's just better for the team.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                          Hey Masai tried to trade Lowry right off the bat, I've always wondered how that sat between them. Maybe Lowry's always felt this way about the boss. Has anyone ever asked him before?

I'm in general on both sides here - it's really not that big a deal compared to what goes on in NBA circles on a regular basis (just keep it professional on the court and keep winning), but at the same time I would have preferred Lowry kept this opinion internal at least until he's wearing a different jersey (go DeMarre Carroll all you want at your next stop, idgaf). That's just better for the team.
                          Sure, lots of interviews after the trade where Lowry talked about how the now legendary meeting Masai called with him, Tanenbaum and Leweike was a key turning point in having him smarten up and mature. He appreciated Masai for that. That meeting and Chauncey Billups mentoring were key to Lowry maturing. But he's still got some maturing to do.

On the scale of toxicity, this was like only a 3 out of 10, at worst. But still, everybody else is at zero and below, so just suck it up for one day and spit out a bland hockey player'ish answer for the cameras, instead of making this day about you and your butt-hurt feelings.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                            LOL Masai on Jump: "He's mad about me every year"
                            Masai should be new face of dos equis

Comment

• Comment

• DeRozen.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X