Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Melo mentoring Porzingis worked out really well for the Knicks. lol.
    Was there a problem between the two of them? I honestly can't remember if there was conflict between them.

If you're the Sun's, Bulls or Cav's are you telling me he wouldn't help sell some tickets?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Was there a problem between the two of them? I honestly can't remember if there was conflict between them.

If you're the Sun's, Bulls or Cav's are you telling me he wouldn't help sell some tickets?
      The opposite. Melo really did become a mentor to KP and they became great friends. The final result was KP turning against the franchise, demanding a trade and the Knicks getting pennies on the dollar (i.e. capspace). lol. That's why you have to keep Melo away from impressionable young kids. GMs know this.
      Last edited by golden; Fri Aug 16, 2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Melo may not want to help/mentor some of the kids on those young teams like Vince is willing to do. So that could be a reason not to bring him in. Although he may sell some tickets, and if I'm starving for gate receipts I would give him a shot. He might be a good fit on a team like Charlotte or Minnesota. Both have cheap owners that seem to care more for the bottom line than how good the team will be.

Comment

How many tickets is really gonna sell? There could be a little hype in camp and the first few games, but I think it would fizzle pretty quick.

fans are pretty shrewd these days, they know they're not getting an all star anymore. And the ones that dont know it would figure it out pretty quickly
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

How many tickets is really gonna sell? There could be a little hype in camp and the first few games, but I think it would fizzle pretty quick.

fans are pretty shrewd these days, they know they're not getting an all star anymore. And the ones that dont know it would figure it out pretty quickly
            He's pretty popular.. He got a lot of votes for the 2019 all-star game when he wasn't even in the league anymore:
            https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-con...ng-Results.pdf

Got over 200K votes.

What's funny is that a lot players voted for him too. 7th in player voting LOL

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

He's pretty popular.. He got a lot of votes for the 2019 all-star game when he wasn't even in the league anymore:
              https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-con...ng-Results.pdf

Got over 200K votes.

What's funny is that a lot players voted for him too. 7th in player voting LOL

I mean, he got less votes than Brandon Ingram, Jerami Grant and Javalee McGee. 20th in fan votes among Western Conference Front Court..not that impressive.

He is well known, but also well known that he hasn't been a good player on a playoff team in 7 years. Its over. Nobody is gonna feel special that their owner handed this guy the keys to jack up some shots for a year. People want their young guys playing and developing, they want good players. Everybody is an armchair GM these days. Like I say, the first few games might be cool to see him in your jersey, and maybe the optimistic ones would be praying for the ultimate comeback season. But after a couple weeks of realizing he's not very good and needs a lot of shots, the hype would fizzle fast

Comment

I'm kind of surprised VC is still playing, but Melo can't find some young team going nowhere to join. Completely understand that a team with hopes to contend wouldn't want him, but there are plenty of tankers that could use Melo to at least drum up some excitement for the fans.
                Vince had both the willingness and skills to evolve his game. He's been a productive role player in his 30's and by all accounts a really helpful off-court guy. Melo doesn't really help you on the court with his game at his age, he's unwilling to sacrifice his ego to support a team from deeper in the rotation, and a bit of a circus has evolved around him & his role/minutes over the last couple of years (not all his fault at all) that young teams are likely not interested in bringing to town when they want the focus on their young guys.

But sure even with all that, Vince still playing at his age is pretty insane. He'll get plenty of the Kobe/Dirk/Wade victory lap treatment this season.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Vince had both the willingness and skills to evolve his game. He's been a productive role player in his 30's and by all accounts a really helpful off-court guy. Melo doesn't really help you on the court with his game at his age, he's unwilling to sacrifice his ego to support a team from deeper in the rotation, and a bit of a circus has evolved around him & his role/minutes over the last couple of years (not all his fault at all) that young teams are likely not interested in bringing to town when they want the focus on their young guys.

But sure even with all that, Vince still playing at his age is pretty insane. He'll get plenty of the Kobe/Dirk/Wade victory lap treatment this season.
                  It's stunning to me that of all players, "Wince" is the one to set longevity records. If someone told me that in like 2002 I'd say you're out of your mind, this guy is very probably gonna play till 30, then injuries and/or lack of motivation and millions will send him back to vacation in Florida.

Just crazy how his whole image and career turned out. Now he's old grizzled smart IQ team player. The diva who requested a trade out of Toronto 15 years ago is like a different career, different person.

Comment

It's stunning to me that of all players, "Wince" is the one to set longevity records. If someone told me that in like 2002 I'd say you're out of your mind, this guy is very probably gonna play till 30, then injuries and/or lack of motivation and millions will send him back to vacation in Florida.

Just crazy how his whole image and career turned out. Now he's old grizzled smart IQ team player. The diva who requested a trade out of Toronto 15 years ago is like a different career, different person.
                    I swear there was an interview from his Raptors days where he was quoted as advising Mo Pete to pace himself so he'd have longevity. That's the link that makes sense to me - Vince was never going to Dwayne Wade his body, laying it all out there to win at all costs. He's always had this mentality of just playing the game, having a good time, and having a nice career.

Even with that though, yeah - his willingness to be a great teammate in the latter part of his career and do whatever's needed to help the teams he's on, that's pretty impressive. It's a guy just enjoying the sport he plays, the teams he's on, and all that stuff that goes with it. I mean maybe that also all connects - it's the hypercompetitive guys who have a hard time with this and just retire instead when they can't be the best anymore.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

If Colangelo could have sold us on Bargnani for as long as he did, I'm sure Charlotte's marketing team could sell their fan base on Melo having a lot left in the tank. When teams are as bad as we were and as bad as Charlotte (for example) is going to be this season then fans just want something to grasp onto.

Comment

Fair enough, but there are young teams that you don't want the sort of presence Melo brings around like NO, Den, etc. Teams with an actual bright future. Then there are teams like Charlotte that you sort of expect are going to be at risk of losing their franchise if they don't increase sales.

Comment

If Colangelo could have sold us on Bargnani for as long as he did, I'm sure Charlotte's marketing team could sell their fan base on Melo having a lot left in the tank. When teams are as bad as we were and as bad as Charlotte (for example) is going to be this season then fans just want something to grasp onto.
                          They just lost Kemba Walker, a really good player. No amount of Melo going 6 for 18 will ease that pain. I mean sure throw him out there, whatever. Tank. But he's only gonna be taking minutes from a young developing player, and his work ethic and habits were not great at the best of times, I couldn't imagine how they'd be playing out the string in North Carolina.

Comment

I swear there was an interview from his Raptors days where he was quoted as advising Mo Pete to pace himself so he'd have longevity. That's the link that makes sense to me - Vince was never going to Dwayne Wade his body, laying it all out there to win at all costs. He's always had this mentality of just playing the game, having a good time, and having a nice career.

Even with that though, yeah - his willingness to be a great teammate in the latter part of his career and do whatever's needed to help the teams he's on, that's pretty impressive. It's a guy just enjoying the sport he plays, the teams he's on, and all that stuff that goes with it. I mean maybe that also all connects - it's the hypercompetitive guys who have a hard time with this and just retire instead when they can't be the best anymore.
                            Yeah when you frame it that way, it makes a lot more sense. Should have seen it coming. But even then, when you think longevity you think 36, 37 38 year olds...Vince is gonna pass Mutombo this year as the 3rd oldest player since 1950, and if he plays every game he'll pass Abdul Jabaar and sit alone at 2nd all time in games played behind Parish...more than likely he'll end up 3rd all time, passing Stockton and Nowitzki. He lost enough games to lockout and injuries that he had a realistic shot to be first all time in games played. Pretty crazy.

Comment

Yeah when you frame it that way, it makes a lot more sense. Should have seen it coming. But even then, when you think longevity you think 36, 37 38 year olds...Vince is gonna pass Mutombo this year as the 3rd oldest player since 1950, and if he plays every game he'll pass Abdul Jabaar and sit alone at 2nd all time in games played behind Parish...more than likely he'll end up 3rd all time, passing Stockton and Nowitzki. He lost enough games to lockout and injuries that he had a realistic shot to be first all time in games played. Pretty crazy.
                              Vince is like that rare old guy who's been working for the same company for 40 years, never cared about climbing the corporate ladder and still brings a positive attitude to work every day so management likes to keep him around. Nobody is quite sure what his job is anymore and he's really just hanging around to maximize his pension, but he wouldn't have anything better to do with his life anyway if he retired. lol.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Vince is like that rare old guy who's been working for the same company for 40 years, never cared about climbing the corporate ladder and still brings a positive attitude to work every day so management likes to keep him around. Nobody is quite sure what his job is anymore and he's really just hanging around to maximize his pension, but he wouldn't have anything better to do with his life anyway if he retired. lol.
                                And Kobe is his friend that graduated with him, with worse marks and a lower salary, but worked harder and passed him and became his boss.

Iverson got promoted, made a bunch of dough, left and started his own company, went bankrupt, now just smokes weed and lives off government assistance and hangs out with younger bros and talks shit about those lame company men Vince and kobe

Comment

Working...
                                X