Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

Lowry will certainly need to take less if we want to sign Giannis. Like, a lot less. We barely have room for Giannis as it is, unless we shed Powell at some point (or he opts out).

But in no way do teams need to limit themselves to only the top 5 type players making the max. The system is simply not built that way.
    As I said, that depends on how they want to build out the remainder of their team and what the goal is. In many cases, yes they do.

Maybe that all changes again if a team like the Pacers or OKC can win it all.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

As I said, that depends on how they want to build out the remainder of their team and what the goal is. In many cases, yes they do.

Maybe that all changes again if a team like the Pacers or OKC can win it all.
      Yeah, but assuming you don't have a top 5 guy, your choices are a) paying the max for the top 25 guy you do have or b) not having that guy. Option B definitely doesn't work. If you are going to draw that line, you should just go tank. And if you do that, you can only ever add that top 5 talent via the draft, you remove the options of FA or trade, both of which the Raptors will have pursued over a few seasons when 2021 rolls around, by paying their non-top-5 guys their max salary (or roughly that).
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Yeah, but assuming you don't have a top 5 guy, your choices are a) paying the max for the top 25 guy you do have or b) not having that guy. Option B definitely doesn't work. If you are going to draw that line, you should just go tank. And if you do that, you can only ever add that top 5 talent via the draft, you remove the options of FA or trade, both of which the Raptors will have pursued over a few seasons when 2021 rolls around, by paying their non-top-5 guys their max salary (or roughly that).
        Re the non top 5 guy, are you talking THEIR max salary or A max salary? Max that their due or max what you can pay any player?
        For example, you're paying elite money to a non-elite player because you don't have an elite player?

Comment

• Letting a guy just walk because you don't want to pay max contract is not ideal either. And before anybody says it: Nobody is gonna take a discount.
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Re the non top 5 guy, are you talking THEIR max salary or A max salary? Max that their due or max what you can pay any player?
            For example, you're paying elite money to a non-elite player because you don't have an elite player?
            what do you mean by max contract, since they vary with player experience/accomplishment level? damian lillard or pascal siakam? i'd agree with you on the former... there are maybe five players in the league i'd be willing to pay lillard's contract, and if i were portland i'd be looking to move off that as soon as i can. there are at least 30 and probably more i'd say are worth what siakam's contract will pay him, which is a bargain.

sounds like you're talking about lillard money but you're previous post mentions unwillingness to pay 30M+ for non-top 5 players. lot's of players are worth 30M+. very few are worth nearly 50M, especially considering the point in their career's they typically become eligible to sign for that money.
            Last edited by chris; Tue Feb 25, 2020, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

what do you mean by max contract, since they vary with player experience/accomplishment level? damian lillard or pascal siakam? i'd agree with you on the former... there are maybe five players in the league i'd be willing to pay lillard's contract, and if i were portland i'd be looking to move off that as soon as i can. there are at least 30 and probably more i'd say are worth what siakam's contract will pay him, which is a bargain.

sounds like you're talking about lillard money but you're previous post mentions unwillingness to pay 30M+ for non-top 5 players. lot's of players are worth 30M+. very few are worth nearly 50M, especially considering the point in their career's they typically become eligible to sign for that money.
              I agree with the last point. Siakam and those guy who get the "max" when they are RFA are very reasonable contracts. I think we will see in the next cycle of supermaxes (guys in the high 20s with are eligble for those huge contract) teams may be more reluctant to give those out. All those super maxes especially point guard who rely on atheltism are going to be bad contracts. We've seen it with Russ,CP3, Wall probably going to happen to Lillard. It retrospect we have handled Lowry contract situation mastefully. We have him for his prime, he got his money and i dont think anyone is going to give him 30+ mil for multiple year in 2021. Id be cool with just giving huge 1 year contracts till he retire or a smaller 3 year deal
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

I agree with the last point. Siakam and those guy who get the "max" when they are RFA are very reasonable contracts. I think we will see in the next cycle of supermaxes (guys in the high 20s with are eligble for those huge contract) teams may be more reluctant to give those out. All those super maxes especially point guard who rely on atheltism are going to be bad contracts. We've seen it with Russ,CP3, Wall probably going to happen to Lillard. It retrospect we have handled Lowry contract situation mastefully. We have him for his prime, he got his money and i dont think anyone is going to give him 30+ mil for multiple year in 2021. Id be cool with just giving huge 1 year contracts till he retire or a smaller 3 year deal
                totally. all in all i'd say the raptors received an excellent return on investment over the time kyle has been here considering the impact he's had.

Comment

• GROAT getting his first jersey retirement tonight.

Comment

• Lowry love from Lowe, sure. But I can't believe these words are coming from Bill Simmons' mouth (50 minute mark):

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Lowry love from Lowe, sure. But I can't believe these words are coming from Bill Simmons' mouth (50 minute mark):

This is really worth a listen for those 4min or so there... love it. Thanks for posting, SR.

Liked this too -

GROAT

Comment

• Highlight reels of Kyle's defensive plays bring proud tears of joy to my eyes.

Comment

• I hope Lowry retire a Raptor. The organization should treat him the way Dallas treated Dirk Nowitzki.

Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post
                            I hope Lowry retire a Raptor. The organization should treat him the way Dallas treated Dirk Nowitzki.
                            I hope he'll take reasonable one year contracts until he retires and helps us keep salary flexibility. Only if he demands 3 years would I let him walk. Would love to see him a Raptor for life

Comment

I hope he'll take reasonable one year contracts until he retires and helps us keep salary flexibility. Only if he demands 3 years would I let him walk. Would love to see him a Raptor for life
                              I would be surprised if Kyle doesn't try and maximize what could very likely be his final contract. From a sentimental perspective, a reasonable 1 year contract would be in the team's best interest, however, if Kyle receives a significantly higher multi-year deal I would not criticize Kyle if he decides to accepted that option. After all Kyle's GROAT status is already secure and not dependant on some future accomplishments.

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post

I would be surprised if Kyle doesn't try and maximize what could very likely be his final contract. From a sentimental perspective, a reasonable 1 year contract would be in the team's best interest, however, if Kyle receives a significantly higher multi-year deal I would not criticize Kyle if he decides to accepted that option. After all Kyle's GROAT status is already secure and not dependant on some future accomplishments.
                                Agreed.
                                I'd reluctantly look at a value 2 year deal to keep him a Raptor but anything longer has the chance to be an albatross contract that handcuffs the team. Successive 1 year deals until he retires should be the goal.

Comment

Working...
                                X