Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

It's just more the phrasing. I don't mind saying like "I'm not interested in leaving money on the table" or "I know my worth" etc.

But Kyle saying "I need to get to generational wealth" when he's already at 190 and counting, not to mention during covid, to me is tone deaf. It's getting close to Latrell Sprewell crying about "feeding his kids" at 7 mil annually.
    Generational wealth is hundreds of millions, it's not tone deaf to me. His next contract will be for $50M+ and will add over 25% to his career earnings.

We should also assume a large chunk of that $190M career earnings has been spent already living his life. It's weird to be out of a job in your mid to late 30's so wanting a lot makes sense to me.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Generational wealth is hundreds of millions, it's not tone deaf to me. His next contract will be for $50M+ and will add over 25% to his career earnings.

We should also assume a large chunk of that $190M career earnings has been spent already living his life. It's weird to be out of a job in your mid to late 30's so wanting a lot makes sense to me.
      Hundreds of millions? Are you lighting your gold papered cigars with 1000 dollar bills? You and I have different definitions of generational wealth.

Another thing, if Kyle has already spent (aka wasted) a "large chunk" of his career earnings, he needs financial help immediately
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        The whole pro sports spectacle is bonkers if you think about it too much. But media is integral to the business model and savvy players on all sides use it. It is different than your kids bragging to your neighbours about how much dad makes.

But I also enjoy this angle:

- Fans: Why hadn't Masai said anything about re-signing? He should have said something by now!
        - Kyle Lowry: I want to get paid and I want term with my next contract
        - Fans: K not like that tho

My kids don't know how much I make or what my stock portfolio looks like although they know some of the individual stock holdings because we talk about them as far as research and financial education go. So they can't brag to the neighbours and why would they?

To some degree they can guess based on what you own but so many people are leased/mortgaged/leverages to the tits these days, that that's often a smokescreen too.

Kyle could easily have said "Of course I'm interested in money and term but I'm going to go with the best overall situation for my family, we love it in Toronto blah blah blah" like most athletes do. The way he said it "money talks and years talk" just sounds so base to me.

Whatever, it's the way most athletes think anyway.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Also, it's not like he precluded from investing wisely or earning an income in other ways to grow his nest egg. Shit, if he's got 100M net left over, he could easily earn 10M per year for the rest of his life and his kids life and his grandkids life and .... it's not like he's going to be eating into that the day he retires lol

Comment

It's just more the phrasing. I don't mind saying like "I'm not interested in leaving money on the table" or "I know my worth" etc.

But Kyle saying "I need to get to generational wealth" when he's already at 190 and counting, not to mention during covid, to me is tone deaf. It's getting close to Latrell Sprewell crying about "feeding his kids" at 7 mil annually.
            lol. "Sprewell feeding his kids" was the first thing I thought of when I read that quote. Like slaw said... limiting your talk about money outside of the house, is a good rule to live by. Nothing good ever comes from openly talking about how much you have or want. At best, it's cringe.

Comment

Hundreds of millions? Are you lighting your gold papered cigars with 1000 dollar bills? You and I have different definitions of generational wealth.

Another thing, if Kyle has already spent (aka wasted) a "large chunk" of his career earnings, he needs financial help immediately
              Primer thinks that Tom Gores wipes his ass with 1000 dollar bills, so I think the answer is yes. The reality is that a lot of extremely wealthy people, especially self-made, are some of the cheapest people on the planet. Many of them live by the credo: "it's not just what you make... it's what you keep."

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Primer thinks that Tom Gores wipes his ass with 1000 dollar bills, so I think the answer is yes. The reality is that a lot of extremely wealthy people, especially self-made, are some of the cheapest people on the planet. Many of them live by the credo: "it's not just what you make... it's what you keep."
                Anyone personally know any true billionaires?
                I worked with one for 7 years and know at least 4 who are worth we-the-north of 100M.
                All of them are super frugal lol

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Anyone personally know any true billionaires?
                  I worked with one for 7 years and know at least 4 who are worth we-the-north of 100M.
                  All of them are super frugal lol
                  Depends on what you define as frugal. I know one person who is worth well north of 500 million and I wont go any further than that. He has a ridiculous mansion and vacation home, private jet, lavish weddings for each of his kids, massive car collection

He doesnt make it rain at the strip club, though, and he chooses Kirkland khaki shorts over Louis Vuitton capris pants.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• So lowry says first he need masai to stay, let's assume by some miracle that happens.

Then he says family, money, winning and years matter. So, he can sign a big 1 or 2 yr contract in another city, or I suppose the raps could offer him let's say a 3 or 4 yr at 10 million a year?
                    what do you guys think would be the highest amount the raps should pay for an aging but still decent point guard in a longer term contract?
                    He would be great to have as a mentor but would he be ok coming off the bench? Would we play him that way? Or is it goodbye to Kyle?

By the way, I think when lowry was saying family I think he of course meant taking care of them but also very likely, how much disruption to the kids who grew up in Toronto and would benefit from staying.
                    Last edited by Dvdvideo; Tue May 18, 2021, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• The only thing the raps should offer lowry is a 6th man role or a SnT opportunity. I love Lowry too btw, but is this team a contender? I dont think so, unless a move or two that seriously upgrades the roster happens, then we dont really need Lowry. Another team might need him more, and he might need another team more.

Comment

• I don't think he has spent the majority of his money but at the same time a lot of it goes to taxes and other things. I think realistically this is his last big money contract and long term contract because of the weird over 38 rules... so this is his last time to cash in anything over 15-20 million dollars per year. Realistically the raptors are likely one of the only teams that can facilitate that ... as are Miami potentially. That said I don't think Miami would do that because they will still have to resign iggy and a few other teams.

Comment

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post
                          So lowry says first he need masai to stay, let's assume by some miracle that happens.

Then he says family, money, winning and years matter. So, he can sign a big 1 or 2 yr contract in another city, or I suppose the raps could offer him let's say a 3 or 4 yr at 10 million a year?
                          what do you guys think would be the highest amount the raps should pay for an aging but still decent point guard in a longer term contract?
                          He would be great to have as a mentor but would he be ok coming off the bench? Would we play him that way? Or is it goodbye to Kyle?

By the way, I think when lowry was saying family I think he of course meant taking care of them but also very likely, how much disruption to the kids who grew up in Toronto and would benefit from staying.
                          I don't want to see them go more than 2 years for Kyle unless it's a team option or so low in the final year that they're OK paying him that as a bench coach ....

Comment

• Kyle still has a very healthy ego and values himself more than the Raptors should at this stage. We'll see.
                            It's not that he's terrible by any stretch, just not $25M or for more than 2 years. Gotta let Flynn play too .....

Comment

• Whatever moves they make this offseason, as a fan I carry the mindset that the GROAT will no longer be part of this franchise when the 2021-22 season starts.

However if they retain Lowry and let’s say he accepts a salary of 20-25 million per, it would be so asinine to keep Van Vleet around.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                                Whatever moves they make this offseason, as a fan I carry the mindset that the GROAT will no longer be part of this franchise when the 2021-22 season starts.

However if they retain Lowry and let’s say he accepts a salary of 20-25 million per, it would be so asinine to keep Van Vleet around.
                                True if we plan on playing and keeping another small player in Flynn. But I can't imagine we will pay him that much unless we really think we aren't going to sign any decent free agent at all. (Which may be the case)

Comment

Working...
                                X