Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

You do realize that most teams are going to have about 6 guards...right? We're still one short!
    On most teams 3 guards get significant minutes, because you only have 96 to go around, so 3 guys play 30 minutes a piece and you have 6 garbage minutes leftover.

If Lowry comes back Flynn will get zero playing time because there won't be any PG minutes available for him. Trent is gonna need all the backup SG minutes, and unfortunately be forced into some spot 3 where he is way undersized.

Our rookie will almost certainly be a wing and need minutes at the 1-3 spots so where do those minutes come from?

We might as well not sign a new center and jusr start Siakam at C because that's the only way we have enough minutes for everyone.

Lowry is a starting PG and FVV is a starting PG and it doesn't make sense to have 2 starting PGs, especially when both are quite small and not ideal at the 2 spot. We need to pick one and move on from the other. It's a lot easier to keep FVV and move on from Lowry but I'm not opposed to doing the opposite.

I'll be very disappointed as a fan if we end up resigning Lowry to $25M over multiple years and just run back the same squad as this year. Like Masai said at the presser, play in for what? I want us to play for championships and Lowry has about 2 good years left so we need a team that is contending this year if we bring him back, and the same team with Birch added is a borderline playoff team and absolutely not a contender.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      If the Raptors can get Lowry to re-sign for 20-25M x 2 years, I doubt they hesitate at all, and nor should they. Worst case that's a short term commitment, bad case it's a very tradeable contract, best case he stays here until he retires.
      Why does Lowry wanna come back though? By signing him we're essentially same exact team as this year that struggled to play .500 ball. Does he want to struggle to make the playoffs his final few productive years or does he wanna contend for a championship? I just can't see any way this team is a contender in the next 2 seasons barring some major trades.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Why does Lowry wanna come back though? By signing him we're essentially same exact team as this year that struggled to play .500 ball. Does he want to struggle to make the playoffs his final few productive years or does he wanna contend for a championship? I just can't see any way this team is a contender in the next 2 seasons barring some major trades.
        There were other circumstances as why we sucked. It wasn't just because of the roster (although some of it was). We didn't go from the second best team in the league with a 60 win pace, to the 7th worst team in the league because of Marc and Serge. Other teams improved for sure, but it was more than that. Covid/Tampa/Baynes (and more Stanley) were all real reasons for our demise.

We aren't contenders but it doesn't mean we have to suck again also. Lowry is still the 2nd or 3rd best player on this team.. and he may prevent a guy like Malachi from taking that next step, or not. Lowry won't play 82 games next year either. And at the end of the day if we make the playoffs next year, I want to be competitive.. and not like the Hornets.

I'd have a different opinion if the best player in free agency wasn't Richaun Holmes. That guy is okay but Lowry is so much better. Even if he's 35 or 36. I mean it's not like the Suns are upset that they have Chris Paul on their team.

Comment

• Interesting how Masai, un-prompted, brought up the development of young players as a consideration in the context of answering the question about re-signing Lowry as a FA. If both FVV and Lowry are on the roster, then having enough development minutes to go-around is definitely a real thing and Masai basically acknowledged that.

Not re-signing Lowry, does give the team a nice excuse not to overpay, if that's part of the agenda. So, Lowry could end up leaving the Raps simply to seek more money, just like D-Wade did with the Heat. That seems like the most likely scenario, IMO.

Comment

On most teams 3 guards get significant minutes, because you only have 96 to go around, so 3 guys play 30 minutes a piece and you have 6 garbage minutes leftover.

If Lowry comes back Flynn will get zero playing time because there won't be any PG minutes available for him. Trent is gonna need all the backup SG minutes, and unfortunately be forced into some spot 3 where he is way undersized.

Our rookie will almost certainly be a wing and need minutes at the 1-3 spots so where do those minutes come from?

We might as well not sign a new center and just start Siakam at C because that's the only way we have enough minutes for everyone.

Lowry is a starting PG and FVV is a starting PG and it doesn't make sense to have 2 starting PGs, especially when both are quite small and not ideal at the 2 spot. We need to pick one and move on from the other. It's a lot easier to keep FVV and move on from Lowry but I'm not opposed to doing the opposite.

I'll be very disappointed as a fan if we end up resigning Lowry to $25M over multiple years and just run back the same squad as this year. Like Masai said at the presser, play in for what? I want us to play for championships and Lowry has about 2 good years left so we need a team that is contending this year if we bring him back, and the same team with Birch added is a borderline playoff team and absolutely not a contender.
            I get all that, but Flynn isn't owed anything. If he's moved back in the pecking order and has to get reps in the G-league that's absolutely fine - both for him and us as an organization. If he's upset he can go cry about it to his dad and see where that gets him. No team in the league has enough minutes for everyone on the roster - that's the nature of the business.

Whether it's a great use of assets, that's a different matter. And if we draft a shooting guard or point guard, that matter wouldn't smell great. Draft one of the other three positions and keeping Kyle looks fine in terms of roster balance, "little person" backcourt aside.

Comment

We might as well not sign a new center and jusr start Siakam at C because that's the only way we have enough minutes for everyone.

Primetime post from primer

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

You are right and indisputable, we need Patrick McCaw back and we are all set.
                Pick Davion Mitchell at 6’2 then stash both of them in the G league to get them reps...smh

Lowry
                Van Vleet
                Flynn
                Harris
                GTJ
                Mitchell
                Then resign McCaw

Masai should be fired

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                  Interesting how Masai, un-prompted, brought up the development of young players as a consideration in the context of answering the question about re-signing Lowry as a FA. If both FVV and Lowry are on the roster, then having enough development minutes to go-around is definitely a real thing and Masai basically acknowledged that.

Not re-signing Lowry, does give the team a nice excuse not to overpay, if that's part of the agenda. So, Lowry could end up leaving the Raps simply to seek more money, just like D-Wade did with the Heat. That seems like the most likely scenario, IMO.
                  One of the things that has spoiled Raptorland over the last 8 years is that the team has both won and developed a lot of young players at the same time. This is pretty much impossible to do in the NBA but Toronto pulled it off - they basically rebuilt the core of the team while they won a title. We've had our cake and eaten it, too.

Comment

• What’s this talk about Norm being able to play the 4 at times and Trent not being able to play the 3? Norm is 6’3” with a 6’11” wingspan. Trent is 6’5” with a 6’9” wingspan. They are essentially the same size. Of course both can play either wing position, especially off the bench.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Where do you guys think Lowry will end up. My gut feeling is he changes teams but wants to go to a contender. Realistically, I can see the clippers, heat, or 76ers in Kyle's future. Can any cap savvy people enlighten me if any of those teams have cap space to sign him outright? If not, I expect a sign and trade. Do you think we end up with some good players/picks in return? Or are we looking at a CB4 scenario where we all try and pretend the trade exception we got back is an amazing asset, just to make sure we do right by Lowry?

Comment

• Sign and trade to Sixers
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• If they keep lowry i could see fred or flynn being traded. Especially if they draft a pg. something is gonna get done I doubt we go into next season with the same team and one draft pick

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                            Sign and trade to Sixers
                            I see this as the most likely scenario. Philly kid returns as hometown hero, still has a year or two left to contend. It will all probably hinge on where this draft pick lands, although historically even if it's a top 3 pick, I don't see NN giving the reigns to a rookie. So next year is most likely another development year unless Masai is able to swing a big free agent (Are there even any this year?). Masai will probably free up as much space as he can (Lowry is gone), then pounce on a high paid impact player on an underachieving team at the deadline next year.

Comment

• Fuchan wrote: View Post
                              Where do you guys think Lowry will end up. My gut feeling is he changes teams but wants to go to a contender. Realistically, I can see the clippers, heat, or 76ers in Kyle's future. Can any cap savvy people enlighten me if any of those teams have cap space to sign him outright? If not, I expect a sign and trade. Do you think we end up with some good players/picks in return? Or are we looking at a CB4 scenario where we all try and pretend the trade exception we got back is an amazing asset, just to make sure we do right by Lowry?
                              Clippers and 76ers have no shot at cap room, and probably no real shot at the full MLE either. So unless Lowry signs with them for about 5M a year, they need to do a sign and trade with the Raptors to be realistic targets (and even then it is a little tricky to get to work due to a sign and trade hard capping a team a little above the tax line).

Miami has 78M locked up in 5 guys this summer. So that's 7 empty roster slots (7M), taking them to 85M cap used, in a 112M cap. 27M in cap room, at most. If they are keeping Robinson and/or Nunn, it costs them 3.7M each in cap holds. So if they keep both they are at about 20M in cap room. Keeping only one could get them to 24M.

A team like the Knicks could have cap room aplenty and could decide they want to chase Lowry, but that seems a little too smart for that franchise. Lowry may also be wary of their one good season being a flash in the pan.

Personally, I think there are three relatively likely outcomes. 1) Lowry re-signs with the Raptors for 20-25M a year on a two year deal. 2) Lowry signs with the Heat outright for 20M a year on a three year term. 3) Lowry signs with Philly via a sign and trade, and the Raptors take back Thybulle, Maxey and a pick, as well as a combination of existing salary and some returning sign and traded salary to make the salaries match and keep Philly under the hard cap.

There are other SnT destinations that could work (even including the Heat) and other teams that could sign him outright but none of those seem particularly likely, IMO.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Clippers and 76ers have no shot at cap room, and probably no real shot at the full MLE either. So unless Lowry signs with them for about 5M a year, they need to do a sign and trade with the Raptors to be realistic targets (and even then it is a little tricky to get to work due to a sign and trade hard capping a team a little above the tax line).

Miami has 78M locked up in 5 guys this summer. So that's 7 empty roster slots (7M), taking them to 85M cap used, in a 112M cap. 27M in cap room, at most. If they are keeping Robinson and/or Nunn, it costs them 3.7M each in cap holds. So if they keep both they are at about 20M in cap room. Keeping only one could get them to 24M.

A team like the Knicks could have cap room aplenty and could decide they want to chase Lowry, but that seems a little too smart for that franchise. Lowry may also be wary of their one good season being a flash in the pan.

Personally, I think there are three relatively likely outcomes. 1) Lowry re-signs with the Raptors for 20-25M a year on a two year deal. 2) Lowry signs with the Heat outright for 20M a year on a three year term. 3) Lowry signs with Philly via a sign and trade, and the Raptors take back Thybulle, Maxey and a pick, as well as a combination of existing salary and some returning sign and traded salary to make the salaries match and keep Philly under the hard cap.

There are other SnT destinations that could work (even including the Heat) and other teams that could sign him outright but none of those seem particularly likely, IMO.
                                Yeah, I think you pretty much nailed the 3 most likely outcomes, in probably that order. 4th option could be a wild-card team that either missed the playoffs, or feels like Lowry can get them to the next level. I'm thinking a team like the Mavs, Pelicans or Knicks, who you mentioned. A lot would obviously depend on how the playoffs shake out and if that team's PG/playmaking was deemed sub-par.

Comment

Working...
                                X